choke on 85 1200i - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 07:40 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

i have an 85 gl 1200 interstate with 62000 miles and having some confusing problems which i hope someone has some ideas where to go next.

3 months ago was starting to have problems with choke,when fully choked would increase idle to about 3000 rpm, then it started to increase less and less to about 200 rpm increase then cable broke, thought that was the problem, replaced cable and still had same problems as before.

The main problems are when started without choke will idle at 200-300 rpm when choke on smells really rich but wont increase idle. when it gets to operating temp idle set at 1000-1100 rpm all is good.( i wish) when taken on a 15-20 min run on the interstate idle increases to 1800-2000 rpm lower idle back to 1000-1100 rpm and drive in city idle drops to 500-700 rpm, rest to 1000-1100 rpm let cool, restart without choke will idle at 200-300 rpm sometimes choke on will increase to 500rpm.

Things that i have done are:

i will always run 2-4 oz of seafoam in every other tank of gas, i quit putting it in for 5 fill ups, made no difference.

Removed carbs cleaned, no difference, replaced air filter, fuel filter,fuel lines, vacuum lines, then did a sync no help same problems.

Removed carbs again rebuilt with kits from randaks, resynced, no difference

Replaced manifold "O" rings, slow air cutoff checked slides and diaphragms, removed and cleaned chokes on carb, resynced no difference.

Removed carbs boiled in distilled water let soak in carb cleaner rechecked slides and diaphragms checked all the little ports in carbs, jets, floats, changed spark plugs, resynced, stripped all screws had to rethread and install new screws, still same thing.

I am hoping that somebody might have a place to goto next

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 12:22 PM
Honda Guru

Year: 1988
Make: Honda GoldWing
Model: 88 GL1500
Post imported post

Is there any chance that the choke cable at the carbs is mis-adjusted?

The carb-end-of-the-choke has a metal end on it… and it's supposed to fit in the clamp. I've seen some bikes that had the black cable part in the clamp and that would cause the problem you are describing. Simply loosen the screw on the clamp and pull the cable back so the metal 'tang' is centered in the clamp…. then tighten the screw.

It'd be great if it's this simple.

Ray
88 GL1500
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

would be great if it was that simple, but metal end of cable is in clamp, have tried it with sheath in clamp, no change then tried to adjust cable at handle bars, have movement on carbs but adjustment has no effects.

thanks for the input
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 05:44 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Post imported post

Make sure the enrichening valves (chokes) are in fact returning all the way in when the choke is released. If the linkage between the carbs is binding somewhere it may be holding them slightly open so you are trying to adjust the carbs with the choke slightly on.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

just went out and checked the enriching valves and are returning as far as they will go in the little notch starts to go in the rubber wiper and when on they come out about 3/16th of an inch when choke is fully on. I have just been using throttle lock until i can get this fiqured out.

thank you for the suggestionand all the help everyone has been giving

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 11:26 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
Post imported post

Could there be an air leak somewhere, causing the bike to run lean, therefore making the choke less effective?

Might that also explain the higher RPM after a freeway run when things warm up and expand a little?

I'm just tossin' things out there since you seem to have covered all the bases already.

When you roll off the throttle for a shift, does the motor seem to rev, rather than slow?

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-26-2011, 07:02 AM

Post imported post

Since you have been through the carbs multiple times I would suggest possible cracked coils or bad plug wires.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-26-2011, 09:05 AM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
Post imported post

Hi Plumturn, welcome to the forum.

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-26-2011, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

have went all around engine, air cleaner housing with an unlite propane torch, and starting fluid, makes no changes. when releasing throttle it doesnt rev up it starts to drop as soon as released. once it gets goining with either high or low rpm it still runs great, gas mileage hasnt changed still at 45 mpg at 70mph.

plumturn, have replaced with with a known good set oc coils wires and caps and doesnt change in any way.

i am begining to think it doesnt like to sit and wants to go.

thanks all for the help

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-26-2011, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

I believe i have found out what the problem was, as i was sitting looking to see what i should do next, i happened to look at the throttle cables and noticed the locknut was not tight agaisnt adjustment screw,so i started the bike and screwed adjustment into nut, and it died so i then restarted, with adjustment nut unscrewed it and idle started to raise, put on choke and idle increased a whole lot more,let it warm to operating temp, and adjusted idle with throttle cable to 1000 rpm,then locked it down, took it for a quick 20 min ride and idle stayed right at 1000 rpm, throttle is a lot more responsive. will go try the choke and check idle once it has cooled down a little.

i thought it would be a simple thing after doing all that extra work

thanks to everyone for all the info, but i did get to "know" my bike very well
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page