My 1982 GL1100i refresh - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Instead of posting a dozen posts like I had been, ill just be posting what I am doing to my bike in this thread. Im not a mechanic and many people have already asked my wtf im doing tearing this thing down when it would probably run as it were, besides the brakes. Well I wanted a bike to take apart and learn some of the systems on it as I put it back together. Maybe I was just bored, I dunno, but Im in deep now so Im going to keep at it. I would not have even bought this bike if it were not for the help on this forum. I was looking last year and unfortunately had to pass on probably a much better 85 limited that was near me. Anyways, this is the bike I have now, I also have a ural and a little ninja 250 so I dont have to rush this thing in order to ride around. Also just had our first kid last month so progress may be slow. My Objective is to tear the bike down as far as I can, and then have you guys tell me what all I need to repair/replace/maintenance as I put it back together. Even if it doesnt need done, Id like to do it, ie head gaskets, wheel bearings, carb cleaning? Then Id like to put the bike back together, cleaning everything I can to make it look as good as possible. I dont know thing one about painting so I guess thats out, except maybe stuff that I can rattle can or brush on like the calipers. Here I go, hopefully I havent messed it up already!
Here it is when I first got it.

I didnt look it over as well as i should have but I didnt know much about wings so I wouldnt have known what to look for anyway. It started up and idled good after a couple of minutes. It was dark and cold so I didnt ride it but told the guy Id buy it the next day. He offered to ride it over to my house so I didnt have to bring the new baby and mom out in the cold. I said sure. He showed up, said everything was good except the front shocks needed air. We signed the title and he left. I spent the rest of the night shining it up planning on riding it the next day as it was supposed to be warm.
Next day I went to take it for a spin and noticed I could not hardly move the bike in neutral. The brakes were nearly locked in place, I dont know how he rode it here. This is pretty much were the saga begins. At that point I decided Id just turn this into a learning experience and try to become a shadetree mechanic in the process.
Now i can be pretty impulsing and impatient and that hurt me here initially. I read some brake tutorials on here and proceeded to pull off the calipers, lines and master cylinders without first releasing the pistons from the calipers. Whoops, frozen pistons. Truthfully I didnt even know how disc brakes worked before I pulled these off, got stuck and then stated really reading about them. I tried air to get the pistons free but no luck. After this fumble I decided to put the calipers and cylinders aside, and rebuild them just before I put them back on. That could be a long time from now.
While I was working on the brakes I also decided to pull of the plastics and crash guards in order to get to the inner workings easier. This is what she looks out of her dress.

Along the way I found some problems, there is a significant crack in the trunk, a tab broken off on the right lower fairing, and right side damage to the front fairing. All this I did not see at the time of purchase, my bad.

The last pic shows how someone previously tried to fix the fairing. What is that goop? Fiberglass?
cont...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

While pulling apart the front fairing I eliminated extra wiring and running lights the po had put on. I also pulled out the crappy stereo that didnt work as I plan on putting an original radio in.

I started putting everything together so I have some clue as to how to put it back on.
Body...

gaurds...

And Im putting hardware in plastic bags and labeling it.
post #3 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 12:23 PM
Still Learning

Model: 2008 GL1800 Level 4
Garage
Post imported post

Oh, that was a hard hit to the fairing. I'd look for a good fairing mount and a fairing when you can. That's all the plastic that took a hit?

Ya it looks to be fiberglass.

Stu
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

John 14:6 Psalm 118:19-29
CMA Wings of Eagles-Escondido, Patriot Guard Ryder
+2008 Cabernet Red ABS/Airbag bought 6/2013 @16,000
+1983 ASPENCADE Barn find @36,000 to be sold
+1976 CB750K6 @25,000 was Dad's
Previous bikes
-1999 GL1500 ASPENCADE Red Sold barn find restored
-1999 GL1500 SE(@57k)(totaled by cagger @105,000) Feb 2013
-76 CB750K Red(new) sold @ 45k
-75 CB750K Blue(new) 9,000 mi Before cousin totaled it.
74 CB450 Burnt Orange(new) 9,000 miles sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Last night I decided to pull of the exhaust and read tire. Took me awhile but I finally got it done.

This is how she looks now, Im thinking about pulling the tank out next and going from there.

From here Im not sure what I should pull off next, I just try to keep things together and labeled so I may at some point be able to put it back together.
post #5 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

newday777 wrote:
Quote:
Oh, that was a hard hit to the fairing. I'd loot for a good fairing mount and a fairing when you can.

Ya it looks to be fiberglass.
I may have a line on one in my color currently, waiting to hear back on its condition when they pull it off the parts bike.
The fairing mount looks ok as fair as I can tell.
post #6 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 12:27 PM
Still Learning

Model: 2008 GL1800 Level 4
Garage
Post imported post

I edited above. Is there any other plastic that got the hit?
Did the PO say what happened?

Stu
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

John 14:6 Psalm 118:19-29
CMA Wings of Eagles-Escondido, Patriot Guard Ryder
+2008 Cabernet Red ABS/Airbag bought 6/2013 @16,000
+1983 ASPENCADE Barn find @36,000 to be sold
+1976 CB750K6 @25,000 was Dad's
Previous bikes
-1999 GL1500 ASPENCADE Red Sold barn find restored
-1999 GL1500 SE(@57k)(totaled by cagger @105,000) Feb 2013
-76 CB750K Red(new) sold @ 45k
-75 CB750K Blue(new) 9,000 mi Before cousin totaled it.
74 CB450 Burnt Orange(new) 9,000 miles sold
post #7 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

The lower fairing plastic tab broke, the lower engine guard is bad ill take a pic.
Nothing from the PO. I have a good hunch he knew there were some issues even though he swore everything was great. He only bought it late last spring from someone he didnt know. I cant blame him though, buyer beware. If I had looked it over top to bottom I still may have not known what I was looking at. Now I do. Hopefully it works out.
post #8 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

He had glued some sort of plastic guard onto the damage to cover it that I removed. Lame.
post #9 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

while were talking about undisclosed items, if you look at the exhaust pic there are 2 clamps holding on a nice piece of chrome on the back of the left pipe. Why? cause there is a large rust hole several inches wide under it lol!
post #10 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 02:35 PM

Model: 1988/1500
Post imported post

Great job! I miss my 82. The older Goldwings have a special place in my heart.

What can I say, I\'m just a caveman.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page