Gl1500 Front Fender Repair - Fibreglass?? - Page 2 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 08:43 AM

Post imported post

Dusty Boots wrote:
Quote:
That's the rear half, Kim¬* .....¬* he doesn't mention it¬*here, but in a Ad on the for sale/wanted forum, he states he needs the front half.

Not sure what he means buy " the plastic¬*support under the fender" though ????
On the inside of the front part there are several walls for support and that might be it. They are also for sale there for around $20,-... I just figured it must be cheaper and better than a repair.

Winter is here, happy riding and stay safe !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
Bruce County Boy/Snowbird

Model: 07 GL1800
Garage
Post imported post

Thanks Guys for the info...we will try some stuff up at Mikes place and see if we can get it to work..If not..I will just buy a new front portion of the fender..

We own a 2007 Goldwing with 65,000 KM ( 39,000 Mi. ) on it.

The best part about owning a wing is you know what your next bike is going to be. ( We know, we just bought our 3rd Goldwing )
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 06:38 PM

Year: 75,83I,86SEi,93A,94SE,03ABS
Model: 94SE 209000 miles
Post imported post

This is the front half of the 1500 front fender . Externally all looks fine . it is the support ribs on the underside and the uprights which bolt to the fork which fave cracked .

First attempt was using hybrid ABS/PVC/CPCVC glue . I will get that removed and go with the black ABS glue . Most likely I'll gind up some ABS and make the paste for extra support .

It seems I read that yoou can use fiberglass matting and work the ABS glue intop it . More reading on that subject to come .

Mike
NASSIR 1
NASSIR 6
NASSIR 7
NASSIR 8
NASR 10 Good times!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 06:45 PM

Post imported post

Mike, why not just buy him a used fender off eBay and paint it to match? Maybe I am missing something here but it just seems like a better idea to spend $25,- on a used fender and match the paint and get it right the first time....

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 06:49 PM
Postpubescent member

Model: None at present
Post imported post

Yeah, what you need is the one part, black, gooey ABS cement that comes in the screw top can with a dauber lid. The multi PVC/ABS etc. glue isn't good repairs that have stress on them, okay for plumbing but not for bike repairs. ABS cement also has the advantage of being cheap besides the fact that it yields a chemical weld rather than just a glue stuck to the surface. I've repaired some pretty bad looking saddlebags, trunks and fairing parts on various 'Wings in my old shop using the stuff.

One thing to watch out for is to build up thin coats. Even if you make some putty by using ABS sanding dust mixed with the cement go fairly thin coats. The problem is that a thick coat will skin over and prevent the solvents underneath froms escaping which will soften the whole area and take weeks to harden fully. A thin coat let dry overnight before the next one will do he job. Done right the joint will be strong or stronger than the adjacent plastic.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
None at present
Past 'Wings: GL1100, GL1200, GL1500, GL1800

Current BMW C650GT
Paul W.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Post imported post

Kimswang wrote:
Quote:
Mike, why not just buy him a used fender off eBay and paint it to match? Maybe I am missing something here but it just seems like a better idea to spend $25,- on a used fender and match the paint and get it right the first time....

Not for 25 Bucks will you get a front fender...new almost 300.00 and used 150.00 plus in black,if you can locate one...Nice thought though...

Was it you from Apollo Beach that had the white one on ebay? That would work painted black..Can't find it now...is it over?

The best part about owning a wing is you know what your next bike is going to be. ( We know, we just bought our 3rd Goldwing )
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 07:47 PM

Post imported post

Here you go:

$35,-

$110,-

$12,50

Add to that your local Craigslist andI am sure you will find an old fender laying around with your name on it.

post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Post imported post

Kimswang wrote:
Quote:
Here you go:

$35,-

$110,-

$12,50

Add to that your local Craigslist andI am sure you will find an old fender laying around with your name on it.
Thanks...Have checked Craigslist down here in Florida..Found nothing..

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 09:12 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Post imported post

I'll put a bid in on the white one but it has already gone to 51.99 this morning...LOL..Gotta love ebay

Likely the paint will cost more than the fender, after all, it is Black I need,,and not any black will do,

Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page