HID headlight conversion issue - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 01:55 AM Thread Starter

Model: 2017 GL1800, 2000 GL1500SE, 1996 GL1500SE
Send a message via AIM to crazzyrman
Post imported post

i justdid a HID headlightconversion on my '95 gl1500i. i am having intermittent issues with the HID not staying on. i turn on the ignition & they light but when i start the bike the headlights cut out (always has by design to reduce power drain while running the starter) but when i release the starter & they come back on they only light for a split second & go out. also this is the low beam only kit with the slim ballast so if i switch to high bean (essensially turning off the HIDs) & back to low again they just light for a split second & go out. i have found that (so far, i've only tried this a couple time) if i ride 1-2 miles & stop & shut off the ignition, then turn it back on the lights will come on & stay on, they will also come back on if i switch them off by flipping to high beam & then back to low to turn them back on. if i just reset the ignition at my startup point they still don't stay on, it seams that i must ride a little before reseting.

i have tried swapping relays & 3 different relays all got the same result. i also know my battery is alittle on the weak side (if i let it sit for 3-4 days there isn't enough power to kick the bike over) but the HIDs are being problematic even when the bike was only sitting a few hours after running for a couple hours straight. i have only had the HIDs in a couple days & the temperature has been in the 25-45f range. so far its been about a 50/50 shot of weather they work right or fail.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 02:15 AM
Senior Something

Year: 1979
Make: Honda
Model: GL 1000
Garage
Post imported post

Just guessing, It might be a connection at the ballast, bad ballast, ignition switch contacts... Have the battery load tested.

Happy Trails

My pic's

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 03:16 AM Thread Starter

Model: 2017 GL1800, 2000 GL1500SE, 1996 GL1500SE
Send a message via AIM to crazzyrman
Post imported post

ebanjo wrote:
Quote:
Just guessing, It might be a connection at the ballast, bad ballast, ignition switch contacts... Have the battery load tested.
2 ballast & 2 bulbs (1 each ballast) both doing the same thing separatly conected into the original headlight conectors. i have tried just jiggling the key in the ignition on position with no luck.

how low voltage sencitive are the HID ballast?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 07:14 AM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Post imported post

From what I know about it the older analog ballasts were low voltage sensitive but the digital ones are not supposed to be. I have a set in my civic, the newest ones I have, and on the ballast it states 9 to 18 volts. I would try putting a charger on the battery until it is fully charged and then turn on the switch to see if they come on. Then start the engine and see if they stay on. Another thing to try is switch to high beam (off) before starting the engine them turn them on. I have the headlights in my 1800 wired so they do not come on until the engine is running and has oil pressure. It just seemed to me the switching on and off then on again with every start couldn't be good for the ballasts.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 08:00 AM

Model: 1999 1500 SE
Post imported post

I'm with you dave , my HIDS won't come on either if voltage is low. my bike may still start but lights won't come on till proper voltage is there.

I'm thinking charge battery till full then get it tested.

How old is the battery ?????

have you checked the alternator outputis correct ??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2 COR.5:17 "Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, behold the new has come"

FOR EVERYTHING IS OWNED BY GOD, AND DISTRIBUTED BY HIM, TO BE MANAGED BY US , FOR A VERY BRIEF TIME .
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 08:31 AM

Year: 1997
Model: Goldwing SE
Send a message via MSN to dj norm
Post imported post

I learning great stuff here my Question ..

Is there better kit than others and where to buy.....

Norm.

Arte et marte.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 08:53 AM

Model: 1999 1500 SE
Post imported post

dj norm wrote:
Quote:
I learning great stuff here my Question ..

Is there better kit than others and where to buy.....
Try here, this is what I use,they have worked great for me for 4 years in two different bikes.

http://www.vvme.com/

2 COR.5:17 "Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, behold the new has come"

FOR EVERYTHING IS OWNED BY GOD, AND DISTRIBUTED BY HIM, TO BE MANAGED BY US , FOR A VERY BRIEF TIME .
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 09:08 AM
Still Learning

Model: 2008 GL1800 Level 4
Garage
Post imported post

Have you replaced your alt brushes?
Sounds like time for a new battery if a couple years old.
You should put a switch to shut off the headlight during starts, that way it the ballast only has to start once.

HIDs take a lot of power to start up. Our Wings take a lot of power to start up if any of the system is dirty, weak and worn. The alternator brushes get corrosion and stick, worn starter brushes cause buildup inside and bad contact, dirty grounds, spark plug wires get corrosion in them, spark plug caps crack, dirty electrical connections, etc, all play a factor in the whole picture.

Why did you go with only the low beams HIDs? They sell Bi-Xenon that hi-low electronic hoods to give the proper hi-low beams.

What are you doing for High beams as the 1500s have dual filament bulbs?

http://www.kryptonbulbs.com/Bi-Xenon-beam-hid-kit-menu

Stu

John 14:6 Psalm 118:19-29
CMA Wings of Eagles-Escondido, Patriot Guard Ryder
+2008 Cabernet Red ABS/Airbag bought 6/2013 @16,000
+1983 ASPENCADE Barn find @36,000 to be sold
+1976 CB750K6 @25,000 was Dad's
Previous bikes
-1999 GL1500 ASPENCADE Red Sold barn find restored
-1999 GL1500 SE(@57k)(totaled by cagger @105,000) Feb 2013
-76 CB750K Red(new) sold @ 45k
-75 CB750K Blue(new) 9,000 mi Before cousin totaled it.
74 CB450 Burnt Orange(new) 9,000 miles sold
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 09:32 AM

Year: 1981
Model: 1100
Garage
Post imported post

switch back to stock.
if it works correctly problem most likely is in the HID kit.
Could be, bad ballast.
could be incorrect voltage into the ballast.
incorrect wiring.
Next
use a test light and rule out the wiring on yur ride, keep a square head on and start looking for what it isn't.
could be bad connections
pinched or broken wire.
loose contacts in the connectors. I have found this often.
Bad ground.
corrosion in the connectors and possibly the fuse holder for the light circ.
even a cheap volt meter will be worth its weight if used correctly.
hope this helps.

They are all perfect
Last samuri
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 09:44 AM

Model: 97' SE, Two Tone Red --> 124,024 km as of November 2015
Post imported post

I have HID's on my Mazda Tribute and the relays are sensitive to low input voltage hence no power going to the ballast.

What are you using for high beams ?

What company did you buy your HID's from ?

Avatar Photo was taken in the Crowsnest Pass between Alberta and British Columbia on Highway 3.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page