Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/)
-   Goldwing Technical Forum (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/)
-   -   99 gl1500 won't crank (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/383466-99-gl1500-wont-crank.html)

DOC1500 03-03-2012 01:24 PM

imported post

Hey guys , my battery is fully charged. or so the charger says..

tried to start the bike and it acted like the batterywas near dead....l put the electronic charger on and it only took 5 minutes to show fullycharged....

tried to start and again it acted like the battery was dead. I put a new starter solenoid on it last spring..:?could it be the solenoid again ???? or just a bad battery ? the battery is only 2yrs old.

I had the same problem last spring thought it was the battery ,and had it checked out at the same bat store I bought it from, they said it was ok. any ideas would be appreciated.

Jmly 03-03-2012 01:33 PM

imported post

I had a similar problem with mine and didn't bother to check anything, went and bought a new AGM battery and when I went to replace the old one , I found the negative cable had loosened over time. Not saying it is your problem, but easy to assume and worth a look. LOL

DOC1500 03-03-2012 02:11 PM

imported post

Jmly wrote:
Quote:

I had a similar problem with mine and didn't bother to check anything, went and bought a new AGM battery and when I went to replace the old one , I found the negative cable had loosened over time. Not saying it is your problem, but easy to assume and worth a look. LOL
yeah, maybe where the ground attaches to the frame (where ever that is ) is bad..will check.

anyone know where the battery ground is attached to the frame ????

DOC1500 03-03-2012 02:43 PM

imported post

well I checked the battery off the bike it shows 12.54 volts...same as on the bike hooked up.

the battery is a ...DEKASport AGM model # ETX18L...340 cca .

how much CCA should a battery have for a wing ???

AZgl1800 03-03-2012 02:45 PM

imported post

876 Attachment(s)
I think you still have cable problems.

2 years on that battery is still near new, and unless it has been left in a run down condition, it is not bad.

12.54 sounds good to me, it ought to crank.

What does the voltage measure when the battery charger indicates "full charge?"

Ought to be 13.6ish or more

DOC1500 03-03-2012 03:01 PM

imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
Quote:

I think you still have cable problems.

2 years on that battery is still near new, and unless it has been left in a run down condition, it is not bad.

12.54 sounds good to me, it ought to crank.

What does the voltage measure when the battery charger indicates "full charge?"

Ought to be 13.6ish or more
NO !!!!!!12.54 volts

dj norm 03-03-2012 03:22 PM

imported post

I would take a take voltage reading at the batterie post as you are cranking the engine. if voltage drops low batt as no reserve if voltage stays hi some other problem connector or defective components..

DOC1500 03-03-2012 03:49 PM

imported post

dj norm wrote:
Quote:

I would take a take voltage reading at the batterie post as you are cranking the engine. if voltage drops low batt as no reserve if voltage stays hi some other problem connector or defective components..

as I said before after a full charge, I would try to start it, and itacted like the bat was near dead...NO START. click click click click click click....put the charger back on and it, it showed full charge after 5 minutes at a 2 amp charge.

try to start again and click click click click...

lights would light ( well one of the HID lights wouldn't, which indicates low volts), but turn signals would work , horn sounded sick ETC... I'm still thinking battery..

What battery would you guys suggest...GEL....AGM...is there a battery that gives 14 .6 volts ???? most put out 13.4

maybe I should just dive in head first and buy the compu-fire system...is the comp battery worth the money????:?

WHO SELLS THE COMP-U-FIRE SYSTEM AT THE LOWEST PRICE ???????

newday777 03-03-2012 03:55 PM

imported post

Doc

Its all them bright lights shinning. :action:

Did you have the battery checked this time and last year?
Have you cleaned the start switch w/elec contact cleaner? It might need a good cleaning.
Your starter might need a cleaning if you have been using reverse. I changed my starter last summer with a less milage one and it made a difference.

dj norm 03-03-2012 04:01 PM

imported post

:ROFL:

Hey hey Stu

I had the same thought about the lights..........