'85 GL1200 electrical & air pump connections & locations - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

(I apologize for the blurry pics.)

Howdy! My wife's uncle recently acquired a well-worn GL1200 Interstate. The battery wasn't charging and it was running pig-rich, so he asked me to take care of it (for a modest fee, of course ) I've replaced the stator and gotten the carbs cleaned and adjusted (floats were set waaayyy too high), and I'm getting ready to put everything back together, but the PO left a lot of little surprises I need to deal with first.

Besides the usual nonsense (SAE fasteners forced into/onto metric threads, plastics held on with sheetmetal screws, etc.), there are a lot of things that were left dangling loose after the fairings were painted. The air pump and distribution/proportioning/whatever-it-is valve were just dumped on top of the airbox, under the false tank lid. I've done some searching and apparently it mounts *somewhere* inside the RH fairing, but I've no idea exactly where or how.

Here are 3 electrical components on the right side:

And here are 3 empty mounting tabs (again, sorry about the picture quality):

The rectangular box with the red connector looks like it could go here (square rubber strap behind frame neck):

But there's a similar box on the left side with no obvious mounting place:

Lastly, here's the fusebox:

Everything behind the bullet connector on the brown wire was a mess of tape, twisted wires, and Scotchblocks. Same goes for the green wire on the ground side; I've torn it all out to start over.

I thank you in advance for any tips, suggestions, descriptions, photos, or moral support you can offer to help me get this mess sorted out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 05:33 PM

Post imported post

You're probably asking a lot with pictures all dark and blurred like that. Can you take some better ones and use flash so we can see what's in there?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Yeah, I need to figure out this new camera...I didn't realize how bad they were until I got home and uploaded them. Bear with me, this topic isn't going anywhere!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 08:29 PM

Garage
Post imported post

I think you were a little too close when you took the pics. Back away a little and they should come out fine. Backing away will also show the area of the bike better. Once you get the pics done I can take a look on my bike and see if I can take the same pic so you can see how it should look. (as long as I don't have to remove too much. Would also help if you can give brief description of the location.

Paul
CE1 Navy Seabees/RET
1981 to 2002
ASE Mechanic

1985 Goldwing Aspencade-114,000 miles - Best bike ever
Previous Bikes:
1977 Kawasaki KZ400 - My cost me nothin\' bike
1978 Suzuki GSXr750 - Craziest bike *wicked fast
1980 Kawasaki GPZ400 - Funnest bike
1975 Honda CB360T - 1st bike
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 12:25 AM

Make: Honda
Model: 87 Aspy,SEI,LTD
Garage
Send a message via AIM to neoracer Send a message via Yahoo to neoracer Send a message via Skype™ to neoracer
Post imported post

pm me your email address and i'll send you some files relevant

if that's an 84 interstate your on your own,sorry

"ANY DAY ABOVE GROUND IS A GOOD DAY,ANY DAY YOU CAN RIDE IS A GREAT DAY"

86 SEI 93K 87 Aspy 129K 85 LTD 34K (refurb)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 09:35 AM

Garage
Post imported post

Well I can tell you that in the first pic, the black rectangular relay with the red connector is supposed to sit in a rubber square shaped holder attached to the frame near the forks aft of the radiator cap.

"Try to open your mouth a little WIDER when you speak..."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

neoracer: pm sent

wingsam41: that's what I thought, thank you.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Okay y'all, back with better pics.

Poor naked 'Wing hanging from the rafters (the PO removed the centerstand). The arrow points to the area in question.

Here are the 3 components dangling loose. Wingsam41 has identified where the one at the bottom with the red plug goes; the other 2 are still a mystery.

The 3 empty mounting tabs:

Moving to the left side, here's another box with no obvious home.

Wiring I tore out. The ring terminal circled in red was on the negative terminal of the fusebox. The connector circled in yellow goes to the air pump. All of this wiring has been tampered with and I can't make heads or tails of it.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Further research suggests that the 2 screw terminals on the fusebox are accessory connectors, and should be empty. That answers a lot of questions.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 02:41 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

A very helpful GWFer has informed me that the Interstate didn't come with the air pump, it was cobbled on by the PO. I've convinced the owner to go without it. Now to find air valves for less than $45/ea
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page