GL1100 Starter problem - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Okay i replaced my starter last year with one from a slavage yard the donor bike had 30 thou on the o.d. I opted for a fresh out of a bike starter due to how I had ben misled by a local "Gold Wing Guru" basicaly trying to scare a bunch of cash out of my pocket. Its a long story thats water under the bridge anyway. My prob now is I took today off to ride and stopped for gas and guess what went to start and "click" "click". Now I ve had charging issues so I have a battery tender mounted in the left bag and I figured something had gone awry last night so I jumped the bike and headed home plugged it in and a few hours later I tried it and "click" "click"WTF!!! Took my handy 8inch adjustable gavethe startera little tapand it turned over. Should I break down and buy a new off ebay or is it possible to get these starters rebuilt. I'm a little peived because of the "Gold Wing Guru" I paid more for the salvage yard starter than I could of bought a new one off ebay for and I had to drive three hours to the yard gas meals etc could have bought 2 new off ebay. Anyway anyone had luck getting them rebuilt and if so where did you send it to?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 07:35 PM

Model: 1985 Aspencade
Post imported post

There are a lot of starter threads here, the forum search is your best friend. Sounds like the ground inside but I really have no idea.

Start with this thread. Good luck https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum9/73447.html
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 07:57 PM

Post imported post

Go ahead and get a new one. I rebuilt mine twice only to have it slow down again a week later. Night and day difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

I was afraid some one was gonna tell me that any sugestions on what to get ebay is the best deal I've found.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 08:15 PM

Model: 91 Aspencade with a 97 powerplant!
Post imported post

Hey Woods Wagon,

It costs nothing but a little time and effort to take apart and clean you starter. Most times it will cure your problems for some time... maybe even for a few years more of driving. Just do a great job.

However, if you have to replace your starter, then I would highly recommend this starter from DB Electric. They now have two choices for the 1100. One is cost effective at $85.00 and the other is a bit more expensive at $150.00 Stick with the higher priced one. Much better quality someone here was saying.

http://www.dbelectrical.com/c-11333-gl1100a.aspx

They use to have just one starter for the 1100's, just a bit over $100.00. I had used several of them and they were darn near as good as the OEM. There price went up to $150.00 so they brought in a cheap "import" for those that wanted something "cost effective". Stick with the $150.00 one with the 2 year warranty.

Tim.

1) Experience is something you don't get until after you need it.
2) A closed mouth gathers no foot.
3) IF YOU DON'T HAVE TIME TO DO IT RIGHT, WHEN WILL YOU HAVE TIME TO DO IT OVER??
____

Horsepower is an illusory mathematical equation; Torque is REAL, and is the source of all good things in the world.

The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?

Please visit
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Thanks for the info what did you do to "clean" it. I saw the donor bike and it looked like it had been there for a number of years. Getting the newly purchased one working would be better for me I just had to put a clutch in the wifes rav4 and it still needs tires and lower controll arm for insp next month so the $ for a new one at this moment is in question.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 08:38 PM

Post imported post

I have the DB Electric starter, works great.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 08:41 PM

Model: 1997 GL1500 SE
Post imported post

The cheap starters are not made worth a crap, but if you wind up buying one, get another spare one for when it craps out on you.

Plenty of threads on here about starters, either get the OEM starter rebuilt, or go with a reputable company. Stay away from Chinese junk starters.

1997 GL1500 SE Pearl Sapphire Black
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 11:01 PM

Year: 1981
Make: Honda
Model: GL1100I
Post imported post

I would try the cleaning first, I followed the link by Mr Magic Fingers over a year and 8,000 miles ago and it's still working fine.

Kim H
WARNING: It has been reported that Goldwing riding may be habit forming!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 04:12 AM

Model: 91 Aspencade with a 97 powerplant!
Post imported post

Woods Wagon,

If you follow the link that MCLOCK provided above...

https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum9/73447.html

You will find a step by step guide on removing and cleaning your starter. No need to purchase anything until you need to. You can even try opening up your original starter that was giving you trouble to take a look at it if you still have it.

It's not hard.

Tim.

1) Experience is something you don't get until after you need it.
2) A closed mouth gathers no foot.
3) IF YOU DON'T HAVE TIME TO DO IT RIGHT, WHEN WILL YOU HAVE TIME TO DO IT OVER??
____

Horsepower is an illusory mathematical equation; Torque is REAL, and is the source of all good things in the world.

The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?

Please visit
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page