GL1200 not starting after wing gets bath - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 08:48 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to winger4life68
Post imported post

Well many thanks to all who have helped me in the past and now a new problem on the 84 gl1200i. I gave her a bath yester evening and went to fire it up and what happened? She would not start. Let it sit overnight and low and behold this morning she started but ran like hammered S**t. then as what i suspect was the coils dried out it bgan to run better. I noticed also that the fuel pump was not pulsing at the time it was running so badly and i have read somewhere that the right side coil pack (as you sit on bike) is responsible for pulsing hte pump> IS this true and what can i do to prevent this in the future? ANY Ideas are welcome. Will I need to replace the Coils?

MAY GOD BLESS ALL THAT DEFEND THIS AWESOME COUNTRY!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 09:58 AM

Post imported post

could be something broke with or at the time of a wash but unlikely,

prob just needs to fully dry out,

i had a no start after a pressure wash, left it for a day and all was normal again

i was going to use forced compressed air next if there was still a problem

i'm not gonna worry about it if i only have a problem after using a pressure washer, and i got tight in there with it

probably the easiest thing to start with is waterproofing spray cans where it matters,

along with going over all the ignition wiring which ideally is clean and tight with appropriate grease

if it only acts up with a wash, might not have to bother with anything but just be careful when you wash, or what you spray directly

if it acts up in the rain while driving, i'd deff have a look at stuff then

82, going over it

had a hog in there for a bit but basically,
back in the saddle after a ~ 24 year break,
at the time, had an oncoming made a left turn deal
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 10:05 AM

Make: Honda
Model: 87 Aspy,SEI,LTD
Garage
Send a message via AIM to neoracer Send a message via Yahoo to neoracer Send a message via Skype™ to neoracer
Post imported post

GL1200 do not respond well to "baths",leave the baths to wheels and tires,you might want to check that the drain holes by the sparkplugs in the heads are open,water there will short out the plugs from firing

"ANY DAY ABOVE GROUND IS A GOOD DAY,ANY DAY YOU CAN RIDE IS A GREAT DAY"

86 SEI 93K 87 Aspy 129K 85 LTD 34K (refurb)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 10:10 AM

Year: 1981
Model: GL1199
Post imported post

Check your heads where your spark plug mount there should be a hole through them so water can drain off . If thishole is stopped up with trash and lets this debit hold water then your plugs will short to ground and your bike will not fire . Had this happen to me in a rain storm several years ago .
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to winger4life68
Post imported post

Once again you guys on this forum came through for me. I really appreciate your help. THe holes were plugged up and there in lies the problem. Thanks again . You guys on this forum are a invaluable tool for all of us.

MAY GOD BLESS ALL THAT DEFEND THIS AWESOME COUNTRY!!!!!!!!!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 12:38 PM

Year: 1997
Model: '97 GL1500SE/ '98 Lehman GTL Trike
Garage
Post imported post

I have never had a problem with my 1200 after baths or down-poors from above .....
..... but no doubt, those holes being plugged will cause hard or no starting until drained as stated.Keep them drain holes OPEN by just checking them once every year or two ... or after you go mud bogging. Same deal on other GWs, 1500s are just better hidden from the elements than a 1200. I also do not use even my lower pressure electric pressure washer around gasket joits or seals.

1997 GL-1500 SE / 1998 Lehman GTL Trike
...(Candy Spectra Red )
GWRRA, NRA, & VSPA Life Member

"Make Courtesy Your Code of the Road!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 01:32 PM

Post imported post

To a lesser degree keeping things electrical clean will serve you in the future. So plug wires, coils and electrical wires in general don't mind being dirty.

Introduce moisture (water) and now you have created another electrical circuit to ground with the dirt. Keep these items clean. (It would be EZ if you open her up for other reasons)

Just a suggestion.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action

A stock 1986 SEi
Hondaline Options - Body Cover & Chrome Front Fender Trim
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 07:39 PM

Year: 1985
Model: 1985 GL1200 LTD
Garage
Post imported post

And THAT is why, dispite 3 hours at a pop, I clean mine by hand... front to back, top to bottom, windex/degreaser and rags, followed by polish and wax, all by hand.

1985 LTD.... 121,000 miles and counting

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." _ Ben Franklin

"Oops, that wasn't suppose to happen" _ Kevin (me)
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 08:11 PM

Model: 1985 Limited Edition GL1200
Post imported post

My bike is 27 years old this year and the only water that has ever been on her is rain water.. How do I clean her? Mother's Chrome Polish for the chrome, Mother's Billet Polish for the aluminum and,,,

[align=center]LEMON PLEDGE,[/align]

for everything else!!!!

Don

1985 Gl1200 Limited Edition
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 08:36 PM

Model: 1500 & 1800
Garage
Post imported post

I have the same problem but realized what it was the first time I washed her, so now I know and use an air hose to blow the water out each time, but it's a pain because I have to take it apart to do it. I didn't realize those were weep holes at the bottom of the plug wells, should have known, but never put 2 and 2 together..........

2012 Gl1800 Trike w/Hannigan Kit. 16000
2001 GL1800 ........ 73000 Miles
1989 GL1500 ...... 133000 miles and climbing

Darksider #551 - Austone Taxi Tire / Yokohama
Honorary Rhino.......

Honorary Newfie!! I have kissed the Cod, downed the Screech, and shouted "Long may your big jib draw!" so I am now a member of the Royal Order of Newfoundland Screechers.

Life is Hard.......... It's even Harder if your Stupid.......... Don't ask me how I know.

Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page