New Owner GL1200 SEi - performance problems - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

Year: 2005
Make: Honda
Model: Goldwing GL1800
Post imported post

OK, so I just got a 1986 SEi this past weekend for stupid cheap. This is my first ever Goldwing, so I'm learning a lot, and finding the problems.

I'm going to start with the most obvious one. It has no power. I took it for a drive and could hardly get to about 91 MPH (tested with GPS since the speedo doesn't work). I have replaced the fuel filter ($54!). I also opened the fuel filler cap in case it had a venting problem.

When I'm traveling along in OD, if I give it a lot of throttle, it just gets louder, but it doesn't really accelerate much at all. Just gets louder.

So, any geniuses here have any thoughts on this?

Thanks.

On a side note, the air suspension doesn't work at all from what I can tell and when I went for a ride with my wife, we bottomed out the rear repeatedly.

Is there a switch to turn on the driving lights on the bottom front or are both of mine just burnt out?

That should be enough questions for now. I'm sure there will be more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 10:54 PM
Still Learning

Model: 2008 GL1800 Level 4
Garage
Post imported post

Welcome to the forum puum

As to your discription of it getting louder not faster, is the clutch slipping? What is in it for oil specically, brand and weight.

Lights and suspension will need a test meter to see where you have power. Do you have the repair manual for it? #1 tool

Stu
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

John 14:6 Psalm 118:19-29
CMA Wings of Eagles-Escondido, Patriot Guard Ryder
+2008 Cabernet Red ABS/Airbag bought 6/2013 @16,000
+1983 ASPENCADE Barn find @36,000 to be sold
+1976 CB750K6 @25,000 was Dad's
Previous bikes
-1999 GL1500 ASPENCADE Red Sold barn find restored
-1999 GL1500 SE(@57k)(totaled by cagger @105,000) Feb 2013
-76 CB750K Red(new) sold @ 45k
-75 CB750K Blue(new) 9,000 mi Before cousin totaled it.
74 CB450 Burnt Orange(new) 9,000 miles sold
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 11:40 PM

Year: 1985
Model: 1985 GL1200 LTD
Garage
Post imported post

The driving lights turn on with the appropriate turn signal, so hit the turn signals and see if they kick on, if not, they could just be disconnected... or burned out.

I don't think it's a good idea topull the cap. The fuel system has a return to the tank so it's supposed to be pressurized... theoretically.

The suspension can be pressurized manually assuming it doesn't leak... if it does, just rebuild the shocks/forks and then fill it manually until you can solve whatever issue you have.

Next, there's a small screen in the fuel line before the pump, and a big screen in the tank, check both to make sure they are clean. Check all 4 injectors to make sure they are hooked up, and check the ECU under the trunk to see if there are any lights on indicating a problem. Also, check the air cleaner/filter....

And... if you haven't already, I highly recomend flushing/bleeding all the hydrolics (including the clutch) and clean the little return hole for the clutch (I don't know where it is, but someone else who does should be around soon), and of course basic oil/coolant flushes as well.

Once all that is done, if it still has no nuts, at least you've rulled some stuff out....

1985 LTD.... 121,000 miles and counting

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." _ Ben Franklin

"Oops, that wasn't suppose to happen" _ Kevin (me)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 12:29 AM
Vintage Rider

Model: none at present
Post imported post

Sounds like a slipping clutch. Once in OD, do the engine rpms go up relative to the speedometer? If so that is a sure sign of a slipping clutch. Unlike a cable clutch, there is no adjustment on the hydraulic clutch, so it has to be the clutch discs or springs themselves. Something else could be wrong if you have no free play at all in the clutch lever.

I would definitely recommend a lot of maintenance on a bike that old, and that complicated.

"New vehicles move the body. Old vehicles move the soul. Vintage forever"
"Obsolete does not mean it is not any good, it just means it is not made anymore"
"The simpler the better"
Save the environment. STOP the developers.
PGR member since 2007
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 10:05 AM

Model: 87 Aspy,SEI,LTD
Garage
Send a message via AIM to neoracer Send a message via Yahoo to neoracer Send a message via Skype™ to neoracer
Post imported post

only 91mph? hardly seems like a problem,especially if mc id fitted with a "tall" windshield

how is acceleration in 3 and 4th,goldwings are not a rocket in OD lol

"ANY DAY ABOVE GROUND IS A GOOD DAY,ANY DAY YOU CAN RIDE IS A GREAT DAY"

86 SEI 93K 87 Aspy 129K 85 LTD 34K (refurb)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 12:52 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
Post imported post

For a 27 year old motorcycle that, when new, a was maybe good for an actual 110 mph...I think you are OK.

Who knows how many sub standard, non-OEM pieces have been added. Thank your lucky stars the damn thing runs.

As for the acceleration, keep the revs above 3500 and it works better. It is a motorcycle and prefers to be driven like one.

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 01:03 PM

Garage
Post imported post

Bike...and Dennis wrote:
Quote:
For a 27 year old motorcycle that, when new, a was maybe good for an actual 110 mph...I think you are OK.
Well, but you gotta remember that the speedos on these bikes are so far off that 91 is really about 80... I know, because mine will do 95 all day long... or so she claims

It would help to have a description of the "gets louder" noise it makes at 91, because minehad a similar reactionwhen one of my injectors was unhooked, the revs didn't climb, the speed didn't change, but it got louder and burbly sounding at full throttle. Of course, mine did it at 70, but ya never know...

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." _ Ben Franklin

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 02:33 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
Post imported post

blackknytecnc wrote:
Quote:
Bike...and Dennis wrote:
Quote:
Well, but you gotta remember that the speedos on these bikes are so far off that 91 is really about 80... I know, because mine will do 95 all day long... or so she claims

Here's a cut & paste from the first post.

I took it for a drive and could hardly get to about 91 MPH (tested with GPS since the speedo doesn't work).

I have no doubt the bike needs some TLC. Just wanted to insert some reality into the scene, as he seems to think the bike should be able to do more.

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 02:53 PM

Garage
Post imported post

Yeah, I forgot about checkin' it with the GPS ... in that case, 91 may not be so bad

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

Year: 2005
Model: Goldwing GL1800
Post imported post

So for starters, sorry about my typo. I have no idea how I got 91 MPH in that first post. That should have said 71 MPH. I had someone else drive it that owns an 81 Goldwing and he said this is way lower on power than his is. So I'm also going on that comparison.

I can't remember what kind of oil is in it, but it's whatever the Honda dealer gave me. I know it's 10-40, I just can't remember the brand. I changed the oil in it last night.

Regarding the possibility of a slipping clutch, it doesn't act like it's that to me. I rode it to work yesterday (65 miles one way). All of my speed tests, etc. are with GPS since the speedo is broken and always reads 0.

Cruising along in OD and it seems to go 65-70 just fine. When you go up a hill, it really wants to slow down bad. Giving it more gas just has a marginal effect.

If I give it lots of gas in OD it feels like it wants to bog out. And if you back off the gas a bit it actually picks up power. Not sure how else to describe it. Air cleaner looks fine. Took it for a quick very short run without the air cleaner, no change.

Not sure if this is normal or would point to anything but on my first fuel fill-up, I got 29.9 MPG.

I think it is better now than when I first posted. I've put Seafoam in both fill-ups at the gas pump so far.

I also need to fix the radiator fan. It doesn't work and the guy that had it before me hard wired a switch to turn the fan on. So if I'm in town, I have to remember to reach up and flip a switch before it overheats.

I'll look for lights under the trunk and see if I can see anything. The lights only work while it's running?

Also, what is the "Fuel System" light for? That was on one time when I took it for a drive. All other times it has not been on.

I did figure out how to turn on the air compressor. How much PSI should the front and rear be? I can't bottom the rear out as easily now, but I still can on a decent-sized bump.

Thanks for all the responses.

Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page