GL1500 adding an Amplifier "searching for good radio output" - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

Year: 1997
Make: Honda
Model: Goldwing SE
Send a message via MSN to dj norm
Post imported post

I was getting ready to install a 4 channel amplifier on my GW and look on forum and found a nice tutorial made by RUDY Looks like it was for an older model than mine because the connectors do no exist on mine. (97 SE)is built in the main harness. and in to a main connector.

The way I foundusing the Schematic and cutting the speaker wire at the radio harness in the back of the radio I am confitent it will work I am just wondering if there is a better way then cutting the harness like a hidden connector.

THANK.

Norm.

Arte et marte.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 11:37 AM

Model: 1997 GL1500 2007 GL1800
Garage
Post imported post

One option you could have used was to use the speaker connectors. Run new wire from the speaker speaker connectors back to the amp input. Then run new wire from the amp output back to the speakers. That was the way that Lewis Preston at www.electricalconnection.com used for his amp installs. He made a custom harness that did just that: http://electricalconnection.com/audio/03201.pdf

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mike K.
Honorary Wild Rhino- Thanks Fly!!

07 GL1800 - Crucible Orange Metallic
Premium Audio/Comfort/NAVI/ABS
Converted to California Sidecar Viper Trike.

Darkside #1659
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 10:48 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Thanks mike I whant to illiminate the fader witch is a draw of sound power and quality I would like to run signal from radio direct to line level converter then a EQ and finaly a four channel amplifier / beefy wire and speakers.

Norm.

Arte et marte.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 11:08 PM
Still Learning

Model: 2008 GL1800 Level 4
Garage
Post imported post

What Mike means is the frt speakers come off the radio 2 cjannel. The fader is located after that. Get the signal before the fader.

Stu
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

John 14:6 Psalm 118:19-29
CMA Wings of Eagles-Escondido, Patriot Guard Ryder
+2008 Cabernet Red ABS/Airbag bought 6/2013 @16,000
+1983 ASPENCADE Barn find @36,000 to be sold
+1976 CB750K6 @25,000 was Dad's
Previous bikes
-1999 GL1500 ASPENCADE Red Sold barn find restored
-1999 GL1500 SE(@57k)(totaled by cagger @105,000) Feb 2013
-76 CB750K Red(new) sold @ 45k
-75 CB750K Blue(new) 9,000 mi Before cousin totaled it.
74 CB450 Burnt Orange(new) 9,000 miles sold
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 11:15 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Thanks Stu. Got signal write from the back of radio but it involves cutting the harness to get the best,,, I was wondering if there was a connector in there that i could undo to have the same result if not I will cut the harness out of the radio they are pins 1,2,3,4 .....

Norm.

Arte et marte.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 06:12 AM
Anti-Guru

Model: '06 GL1800
Post imported post

Hey Norm...

Like the guys have posted .. and like Rudy has done -- the OEM harness for the radio has both output channels routed to a 4-pin connector along the left side of the frame (this is where the OEM radio output is connected to the OEM from speakers - 4-pin white connectors; if you have a fader and a rear harness, there will be a pair of black 4-pin connectors right next to the white ones).

Simply unplugging that 4-pin white gives you direct access to the radio's 2-channel output without cutting into an expensive harness.

In Rusty's "amp in da'trunk instaqllation, he re-purposes the rear speaker harness to carry the radio's output to the rear of the bike without need for harness destruction.

Which ewver way you go, keep good note so that whoever is in there next can quickly understand what has been done,
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Hi guys I dont know if M. Honda changed the harness with the years or if mine is a canadian model or las but not least I am getting blind :wtf:lol.

I cna not locate the small 4 pins connectors the only thing I found is those two big connectors witch are made in module but in one piece so can not disconect sections of it and the colour code of wire i am looking for are in there grrrrr

Norm.

Arte et marte.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 11:38 AM
Anti-Guru

Model: '06 GL1800
Post imported post

Hmmm... on an SE, the white 4-pin connector that you're looking for should be about where that convoluted harness tubing heads back in against the air cleaner (perhaps more to the "right" from your top-most photo, and definitely 'deeper' into the harness there.) -- they tend to be pretty tight and kinda behind the "Y" where the harness splits...

That "L" shaped conector mounting is used from 96 on (and I think also in the Interstate) for the fairing sub-harness connectors... so yeah - the speaker wires DO go in there, (why you're seeing the right color codes) but AFTER the white 4-pin that we're all hunting for...

I'm not sure if you've seen Rudy's photo (from his '89, so it won't have that faring sub-harness "white L-shaped" connector mounting thingy): This photo shows his 'trick harness' (the chrink-tube corss-connects) for using the rear speaker harness (black connector) to get the radio's output into the trunk

Hopefully this kinda illustrates how 'deep' behind that 'Y" area of the harness the white 4-pin connector will be.

For additionaly reference (may be mentinoed above) the "Add On" instructions for their fader installation for all years of the GL1500 (non-interstate) can be found at:http://www.addonaccessories.net/docs...824%20Inst.pdf

To reinforce that you should be able to find the white 4-pin connector that you're seeking.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

wow if you are sure i will look in deeper to find it thanks

Norm.

Arte et marte.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

WOW.

according to the schematic in Honda shop manual. I do not have the 4 pin connector for my 97 SE there is a connector for the replacement of the fader and that is it the rest is built in the harness ....Sniff ....

Norm.

Arte et marte.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page