GL1500 Ignition switch - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

I purchased my 1989 GL1500 three months ago and was messing around with it today. I have never put the ignition in the lock position before but I wanted to see if the taillights worked in the park position. I turned the handlebars all the way to the left and pressed down on the lock with the key in it and it locked. I checked out the lights with the key in the park position and they worked fine. When I went to unlock the ignition I tried to press down on the lock with the key in it again but it wouldn't budge. I can move the key back and forth from park to lock but it won't let me unlock the handle bars. What can I do??????

Square Shooter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 06:07 PM

Year: 183 BC
Make: Not telling how much money I make!
Model: I don't have a model, I ride the real thing!
Post imported post

WELCOME

Suck it up buttercup!
If global warming were true, then why do we have so many snowflakes everywhere!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 06:25 PM

Year: 1983
Model: 1983 Honda Goldwing GL1100A Aspencade
Post imported post

Welcome to The Forum Square Shooter . Try sitting on the bike, pull it upright, as your about to ride it, move the bars left and right as you return the ignition/key to the off position. I might take a couple of tries.

~Butch~~~
1983 GL1100A,Wineberry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 06:37 PM

Post imported post

welcome to the forum
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Wow, I sat on it, rocked and rolled for a bit and the key worked. Thanks a million! Since I purchased my bike I have learned a lot from you folks. Thanks again.

Square Shooter
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 07:34 PM

Year: 1983
Model: 1983 Honda Goldwing GL1100A Aspencade
Post imported post

Safe riding to you......................

~Butch~~~
1983 GL1100A,Wineberry
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 04:33 AM

Model: 91 Aspencade with a 97 powerplant!
Post imported post

Square Shooter,

Welcome to the family!

You problem is a sign of another issue. Your key is probably worn and needs to be replaced. Mine was doing that in the spring. No problems with the regular positions, just with the lock of the bars and parking position.

Left unchecked, it will cause wearing of the whole system and the lock system and is a bugger to get at and replace. Time and money you don't have to spend. Just go to Honda or and good key house and have them cut a new key from your key code and not that key you have. Very cheap insurance.

Tim.

1) Experience is something you don't get until after you need it.
2) A closed mouth gathers no foot.
3) IF YOU DON'T HAVE TIME TO DO IT RIGHT, WHEN WILL YOU HAVE TIME TO DO IT OVER??
____

Horsepower is an illusory mathematical equation; Torque is REAL, and is the source of all good things in the world.

The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?

Please visit
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 12:05 PM

Model: 91 Aspencade with a 97 powerplant!
Post imported post

Square Shooter,

I got a PM from someone. I guess I ruffled someone's feathers by recommending that you should replace your key if it is worn. Apparently he had a key made up lately that cost him $80.00 and he though I shouldn't have recommended this to you because of its expense. I just had two keys cut at Honda a month and a half ago for $13.00 + tax.

I still recommend a key if it yours is worn. It is much cheaper than a lock. However, if you do want a new key, please shop around. $80.00 keys are a real rip off!

Have a great day!

Tim.

1) Experience is something you don't get until after you need it.
2) A closed mouth gathers no foot.
3) IF YOU DON'T HAVE TIME TO DO IT RIGHT, WHEN WILL YOU HAVE TIME TO DO IT OVER??
____

Horsepower is an illusory mathematical equation; Torque is REAL, and is the source of all good things in the world.

The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?

Please visit
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page