Silverstar Ultra 9003HB2-H4 - Page 2 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 03:46 PM

Model: 1988 1500A.
Post imported post

I have had one go out. Replaced both just in case the other decided to go out. Think I got about three years out that one. The current ones have been in about a year and a half now. Brand is Sylvania Silverstars. Road out to a friend of mine's place last summer and got there in the dark. He lives out in the country and when I turned into the drive commented on how bright they were.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 05:20 PM
Oh - THAT guy...

Year: 2000
Make: 1500
Model: SE
Post imported post

The potential shorter life is why I use regular Silverstars, or similar. Xtravisions are very good also and only run $19 a pair at Wally-World.

Vote one for year-round riding! Austone Darksider PVT (Passenger Vehicle Tire)

Most recent Wing: 128k+ on the 2000 GL1500 SE (Just totaled) due to being rear-ended...
Current ride (for now) 2015 Triumph Trophy SE

Previous wings: '78GL1000, 13k mile '77 GL1000 (resto at home, neat story!), '81 GL1100 Interstate.
Previous non-wings: CB360T, Suzuki GS550L, Yamaha 650 spcl (first bike!), Silverwing 500, Yamaha Spectre 1100, VFR700F, CB900 Custom.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 10:22 AM

Post imported post

Mine is a '94 SE, I've been reading many posts here about upgrading the headlight. For now, I've decided to go with halogen, but I'm confused as to exactly what I need to do to replace both high and low beam. Are there actually TWO H4 bulbs, one for high and one for low beam, and if so, are they the same wattage? I've looked at all of the posts on the forum that I could find regarding the upgrade but never saw a real clear cut answer. Your help is appreciated.

\'94 GL1500 SE

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man how to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 10:37 AM

Post imported post

if you do lots of night riding the brighter ones are good and more expensive too...but the cheapies work for me...and some last a long time

91 GL1500
91 Electraglide
A prior Buffet of GL l000\'s,1100s\',1200s\'
had Some nice old 650 trumpets...(fun!!)
many dirt and streets..cant remember!!

Ask the wrench god 1st!!
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 11:02 AM

Model: GL1800 '06 GL1200 SEi '86
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Silverfox
Post imported post

kenpetty wrote:
Quote:
Mine is a '94 SE, I've been reading many posts here about upgrading the headlight. For now, I've decided to go with halogen, but I'm confused as to exactly what I need to do to replace both high and low beam. Are there actually TWO H4 bulbs, one for high and one for low beam, and if so, are they the same wattage? I've looked at all of the posts on the forum that I could find regarding the upgrade but never saw a real clear cut answer. Your help is appreciated.
H4 bulbs have a high and a low filament in the one bulb, only the 1800 with H7 bulbs are single filament thus a separate bulb for high and low beam. the 1500 has two headlight bulbs and so you have two H4's in there of some make or another.

I was running those Silverstars and was very pleased with the extra visibility on the 1500, a remarkable transformation, but I have found over the years that they last less time than a stock bulb. that said, we can buy them for about £8.95 for a pair in the UK, so providing you don't mind the agro of changing them, the extra light is a real benefit.
The 1800 lights are so good, I have now gone back to using stock bulbs. Easy to change the low beam, not so easy to do the high beam.

Pete

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'06 GL1800
'86 GL1200SEi
'98 ST1100 Pan European, formerly owned by the Late Motorcycle Pete, Member and good friend of many on this site. Available for use by visitors from the USA and Canada.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 11:36 AM

Post imported post

Thanks for the reply, that's part of the answer I was looking for. I now at least know to buy two. Would you advise to upgrade the wattage with the standard charging system or not? I believe the OEM bulbs are 45w. Again, thanks.

\'94 GL1500 SE

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man how to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day."
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 12:29 PM

Post imported post

I upgraded to a higher wattage but I have a Compufire alternator so the extra wattage is no problem. I get mine at Walmart. While pastoring in MI I was at the state GWRRA Rally and bought the converters for the light sockets on my 98 Aspy. That was in 2001 I believe and I just had one go out several months ago. I bought the replacements at Walmart and they are doing fine. Ten plus years and I did a lot of night ridding in MI living in Alpena on the East cost of Lake Huron made for some beautiful rides. ChrisChrme carries the adapters I refered to. Here is the page with them on it.

http://www.chrischrome.com/ProductDe...oductCode=1291

This is what the converters look like. They come as a set so you only need to get one set. Yes the roads in MI can give you some awful jars you have to be alert to see those potholes.

If I leave a place no better than it was when I came, then I have never been there.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 09:54 PM

Post imported post

For anyone wanting to or needing to replace headlight bulbs in a 1500, I just did it. I'm moderately mechanically inclined, and with Steve's pictures/instructions, it was super simple. It took me a couple of hours only because I spent about an hour and a half cleaning the headlight assembly as well as the area on the bike where it was mounted. I would venture a guess that with NO mechanical ability it could be done easily in an hour. Kudos again to Steve and his instructions/pictures. What a guy!!!!!!

\'94 GL1500 SE

Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page