GL1800 Anti-Dive - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Heres the story. Ive had my 1800 for over a year and from day one the thing rode like a horse drawn buckboard wagon. I could go down a fairly smooth highway at nite and watch my lights bounce up and down off of every road sign. I would meet other wings and notice that they were not doing this.

Im able to look down at the forks and watch the travel and they seem to travel half inch to inch at the most.

My wife recently got a harley sportster as her first bike and ive had to opportunity to ride it a bit and cannot believe how much smoother it rides on the same roads that i commute on with the wing. As I watch the forks travel on her sportster they seem to constantly be moving any where from and inch to multiple inches.

Last week I had the fork seals replaced,only 50000 miles. Got the bike home and figured there was a reason for the seal to go out. Yesterday I did the drilled out nickel modification and rode the bike to work today and notice the forks now have about the same amount of travel as the wifes bike and a noticeably smoother ride.

Got home from work and took the wife for a ride to get her opinion and she says it now rides about as smooth as the 1500 did and what i had done to fix it.

Only noticable difference is a little bit more dive when stopping.

So... whats the concensus leave it or get it fixed??

Rides ive owned/own
79 XS400
88 Intruder
84 1200 Interstate
05 1100 V-Star
00 1500SE
03 1800 Wing

Darksider
Dunlop WinterSport Run flat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 08:40 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
Post imported post

Drilled out nickel? What's that mean?

You may have a bent or misalignedfork. I think the anti dive only works when the brakes are applied, so if they are affecting the normal ride, you have a problem there.

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Rather than do the o-ring fix GL1800 Anti-Dive Fix, by Paul Hopewell. I drilled out the center of a nickle and placed it between the upper and lower unit of the anti dive. Nickel keeps the pin from pushing against the plunger or what ever it is called on the lower unit when the brakes are applied. I dont believe any thing is wrong with the front end. Can go down the highway hands free straight as an arrow.

kind of strange that the ride is much better after pretty much disabling something that should only work when brakes are applied.

Seeing that there is a fix on the technical help section im assuming i am not the only one that has this problem.

Rides ive owned/own
79 XS400
88 Intruder
84 1200 Interstate
05 1100 V-Star
00 1500SE
03 1800 Wing

Darksider
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 11:04 PM

Year: 2008
Make: Honda
Model: 2008 Gl 1800 P premium Audio
Post imported post

BigDaddy did you change fork oil ? & check to make sure you have enough oil in each fork ? If you have I would put new progressive springs in also have you checked you rear spring preload cause at your miles you have on your bike these items wear out anyway I would check the Items I have stated !

All good things come to He who waitith if he workith like hell while he waitith !
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 12:36 AM

Post imported post

Bigdaddykronk wrote:
Quote:
.... Yesterday I did the drilled out nickel modification ..... and a noticeably smoother ride.

Only noticable difference is a little bit more dive when stopping.

So... whats the concensus leave it or get it fixed??
Good luck getting a concensus.

I know what you are describing and there are no mechanical failures that will resultwith this modification. Yes, thebike will dive more when you apply the brakes. It will ride very similar tothe early wings without the anti-dive, plush ride and plenty of nose dive.

Changing the springs will likely give you an"improved" ride; firm yet plyable with the road surface. There areseveralconfigurations out there. I am using the Progressive Monotubes and I havedisabled the anti-dive with a larger diameter washer than the nickle. The nickle does not entirely seperate the plunger from the diaphragm.Thenickle does not seperate the upper and lower halves enoughand does allowa "delayed/mild" response from the anti-dive valve.

So my opinion is, disable the anti-dive and change the fork springs. Do not disable the anti-dive without changing the fork springs. The combination of weak stock springs and increased dive reduces the ground clearance to much.

This topic has been covered a lot more at http://gl1800riders.com

2008 GL1800B (Airbag)
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 02:23 AM

Post imported post

The anti-dive valve on the gl1800 gets stuck when the brake fluid is not changed regularly. At least that is the popular train of thought. Most folks disable the anti-dive so it doesn't lock up the front left fork and usually results in blowing the left fork seal. Yes you loose the anti-dive feature but it doesn't work that well anyway in my opinion. I've had my 01 GL1800 both ways. I even replaced the Anti-Dive but that is when they were cheap. Now they are about $100 as I remember and it only costs one nickle to disable it. My replacement valve only worked about 2 years even though I changed the brake fluid and even cleaned the old valve and the new valve. Some people think the O-rings are the wrong compound and swell up locking the Anti-dive piston.

Long story short after messing with mine numerous times over the last 4 years I just drilled a hole in a nickel and stopped worrying about it. The front doesn't dive that much and the ride is smoother. I think the biggest improvement in my handling was at the beginning of this summer when I changed the fork oil on both sides. Now that was an improvement! It is like a new bike now.

John
Still not sure what I want to be when I grow up.
I have 2 other bikes. 2001 GL1800 and 2000 HD Dyna FXDX. Can you say MBS?:
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 05:35 AM
Old School Guru

Year: 2007
Make: Goldwing
Model: GL1800 CSC Trike with Navi
Garage
Post imported post

WhenI bought my 05 1800 a couple of years ago,I didn't really care for Honda's solution to anti-dive, and decided that it was too harsh to put up with on the roads I travel. So I purchased a spacer kit off of flea-bay and installed it, and it made a worlds of difference on the ride. Recently,I also installed a fork brace, and between the two, it handles and rides great. Also, I have over 53k on the bike and not blown anyfork seals sinceI bought the bike with 12k. Myself, I would rather have some dive, than to be replacing a fork seal every 15 to 20k and to have my teeth rattled on a rough road.

Gene

Gene Lester
Present Bikes: 2007 GL1800 CSC Trike with Navi
Loud pipes don't save lives, they just annoy everyone.
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The "United States of America", for an amount of up to and including their life. (Author unknown)

Proud member of the World Famous Wild Rhinos
Arkansas Chapter
Darksider #265
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 05:55 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Guess ill leave it like it is.

Fork oil was changed along with the seals. Would have put progressive springs in but dont have the funds. I know new springs make a world of difference, had them replaced on the 1500 that i had prior to the 1800. Brake fluid gets changed this fall before storage.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Rides ive owned/own
79 XS400
88 Intruder
84 1200 Interstate
05 1100 V-Star
00 1500SE
03 1800 Wing

Darksider
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 06:01 AM

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800A
Post imported post

+1 for disabling the anti-dive. I'll try heavier springs and fluids later, but it rides much better with the anti-dive out of the works, I used a spacer bought off ebay like Gene. Pricy, but made it a 5 minute project....and easily reversable if you don't like it.

Joe
Darksider #493

Former bikes:
\'80 CB750 Custom
\'86 GL1200 Interstate

Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page