seat recommendations for GL1500 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

decided after riding 750 miles this weekend that the seat on my "new" GL1500 is not gonna cut it.

I need some recommendations on seats from other big guys out there. (I'm 6'4" and just under 300lbs). I was looking at the Corbin seats, but a Patrol friend of mine says they are not worth it.

any thoughts on the Saddlmen Road Sofa?

any input from you all is greatly appreciated!!!

DJ Kaz

1994 GL 1500 SE with just over 32k!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 07:07 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
Post imported post

The earlier OEM seats (pre '92, I think)were a lot better.

A lot of people really like the sheepskin covered pads.

As far as Saddleman products?... Well, I've never heard anybody complain about their Corbin seat.

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 07:25 PM

Year: 1999
Model: GL1500SE
Post imported post

A lot of IronButt riders talk at length about a company called Russell Day-Long. http://www.day-long.com I am 601 and 300 lbs. I had a Road Sofa on my GL1200. It was ok but it took a few days on a long trip to get use to it. That might be the case with any seat. I picked up a used GL1500 last December. That seat was more comfortable for me than the Road Sofa. The 1500 seat is on a 99 with 50,000 miles on it. I suspect it won't hold up long with my weight. Russell builds seat specific to your specs. You need to send them your weight and height as well as pictures of you sitting in a riding position on your bike. You can also set an appointment and ride in for a custom fit appointment. I don't know how far that is away from you in Arizona. They also have an option for a special spring system in the seat for guys over 225 lbs. The seat itself looks different because it has a slight wing on each side extending the width of the seat. The ad's say the appearance is a point of contention but their saying is that "Beauty is in the Eye of the Butt Holder". If I am going to spend money on a new seat, and I probably am, it is going to be one that I know at least considered the stress that someone my weight will be putting on it. Other than regular maintenance I can't imagine anything more important than investing in a decent seat.

Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 07:29 PM

Year: 2009
Make: Honda
Model: 2009 Silver GL1800 ABS
Garage
Post imported post

I had a Diamond on my 1993 Aspy and had it on there until I sold the bike earlier this year... It was still very comfortable and looked very good...

Diamond has had about 2 or 3 owners since I bought mine but you may want to look at them... I have also heard that Russell Day Long saddles are excellent... I have never tried one but have heard a lot of good things about them...

I tired a Corbin when I first got my 1993 and my wife said, and I quote:

"If you ever want me to ride with you again, get that damn saddle off the bike"!!!

I didn't find it very comfortable either... Nuff said on that one

Les

4 wheels moves the body
2 wheels moves the soul
Honorary Wild Rhino - 7/10/2014

GL1800 HPNAM9
Darkside #1574 - Bridgestone Driveguard RF
Double Darkside - BT-45

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 07:32 PM

Model: 2000 SE
Post imported post

Another choice you might want to consider is a re-builder like Mean City Cycles.

http://meancitycycles.com/

Had them re-do my stock and happy with it, and a heck of a lot cheaper then some of these after market seats that apparently have gold filling.

Might give that a shot and if it works fine, and if not, you won't be out that much money. They can fab you up exactly what you want. Good folks.

Made a big difference on mine.

"Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right." Salvor Hardin
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 08:49 PM

Model: 1998 1500 SE
Post imported post

You will find a wide range of opinions about custom seats. The best thing you can do is find others who have the seats you are looking for and ask them questions about it. You may be able to find some folks who will let you ride their bikes so you can get a sense of what the seat is like. However, you really need to ride several hundred miles and probably a few days to really get a sense of what the seat is like.

For me the best and most comfortable seat for a 1500 is a Corbin. I have tried a few other brands, but with the Corbin I can ride all day for hours on end day after day without discomfort. I got back from a 10,000 mile 15 day ride in June and have done several 1000 mile days on my Corbin.

They do take a bit to break in, but once they are broken in they are excellent. I have heard they take around 1000 miles to break in, but I really think it is more like 3000 miles. They only get better with more mileage.

I also like that the Corbin sits lower than the stock seat. It also sits back a little further giving you a little more stretch room.

I am on my third Goldwing and third Corbin seat. You can find some good deals on used Corbins on this site.

In my opinion, you cannot go wrong with a Corbin.

What did your friend say specifically about the Corbin?

Good Luck,
Ed

If it\'s got two wheels, I\'m in trouble.

The Fonz
IBA 42427

Our Alaska Trip:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 09:04 PM

Post imported post

I tried just about everything on my various bikes. Aftermarket seats, aftermarket gel seats, etc. I finally picked up an airhawk pad for my wing. My only regret is I didn't buy one 40 years ago.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 09:21 PM

Model: 1976 LTD (X2) (two apart in VIN)..... 2008 Pearl White
Post imported post

For me, Corbin with a 3/8 hard foam rubber on it (soon to be a gel pad) with a sheepskin on top. As good as I have ever had, and I have had a few.

Yep, firm as heck, and I will admit it does not feel that great, but it never seems to get worse/bad. I belive Corbin about the 'firm' being key to it.

Bill
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

my friend hated the corbin seat on his issued bike so bad that he had the state maintenance guy chop out the foam on the saddle and replace it with memory foam, he says that helped out a bunch
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 10:49 PM

Model: 1976 LTD (X2) (two apart in VIN)..... 2008 Pearl White
Post imported post

djkaz wrote:
Quote:
my friend hated the corbin seat....

You asked for recommendations; I told you what I like, not what you should get.

It seems that with your posting about your friend (twice) thata Cobin is not for you no matter what is said in this thread.

Bill

Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page