Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/)
-   Goldwing Technical Forum (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/)
-   -   Tire date code (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/393621-tire-date-code.html)

Craigmri 09-08-2012 10:53 AM

imported post

Hey guys,

Just brought home my "new to me" 1998 Aspencade with 7,950 miles on it!

The front tire appears to be original as it has a three digit date code so I intend on ordering a replacement tonight. My question is the rear. The stamped code reads "MI3307". Can I assume the reads, the "33rd week of 2007"? That outs it at 5 years and while thats borderline old, I may run it since it has no dry rot and barely looks worn.

What do you guys think?

Craig

rpeters549 09-08-2012 12:02 PM

imported post

This is like an oil question, many opinions will arise. It looks great, but it may also be hard and a lot depends on how it was stored. If it were me, I might run it a little while I await a new one, but I would not place 100% confidence in it. It might be fine for 5 more years, it might separate tomorrow.
Also, You might recheck - I am not used to seeing letters in the date code box after the year 2000.
I wwould play it safe and get a pair.

akwright 09-08-2012 12:23 PM

imported post

You need to change it it is not safe !!!!!!! Do some research on old tyres. They will delaminates at worse or last no time at all. I got a tyre that was 8 years old as it was cheap very cheap. So a bargain I thought. I was lucky it lasted about 1500 miles. Truly do do not use the tyre you are risking it all for sake of a set of tyres The tyres are too old and the rubber properties change and DO NOT PERFORM.

I no i have been blunt but it is that serious

Andy

Craigmri 09-08-2012 01:01 PM

imported post

You guys are right, whats $150 in the big scheme of things? I ruined ride would be worth it alone not to mention my skin!

OK I'm ordering new rubber tonight!

Craig

RandyHut 09-08-2012 03:42 PM

imported post

I just replaced the front tire on my 95 wing. The date code on the one i to off is 2000 which means it is 12 years old. I hated to replace it as it looks like it has 60% tread left. Was getting ready to take a 3 hour one trip so decided to replace it.

Picked up a Bridgestone Exdera Max for $114 delived to my door in 2 days. from
bikebandit.com

My Rear is 165/75/16 CT that i picked up earlier this year somewhere for $105 delivered

Craigmri 09-08-2012 08:36 PM

imported post

Just ordered a set of Bridgestone G701 and G702. Chaparral....$253 delivered!

Craig