Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Woking, , United Kingdom
Iam new to this forum.
This is my first post and I realise it will need transfering to Technical Forum.
The background is as follows:-
1. I decided to replace the existing Kuryakyn grips with Show Chrome Heated grips.
2. I had to remove old throttle tube as no obvious way to remove chrome cover on grip.
3. Removing the throttle cables from the old tube damaged the tube so cannot be used again.
4. Removed air cleaner/case to gain access to other ends of cables in order to be able to slacken cables to refit new tube. No adjusters there, only nuts that can be undone to slacken the cables.
5. Fitted the cablesto the throttle tube and tightened nuts at carbs.
6. The throttle will open but I cannot create any free play nor get the throttle to spring back to close.
NB The adjuster at the handlebar does not seem to make any difference whatsoever increasing or decreasing the tension so perhaps I need a new cable. The bike is 12 years old.
I have spent 4 days rechecking my work, searching the web, reading posts. I havealso read 3 workshop manuals, but to no avail.
I have book a biking holiday which is due to start on 28 September so need to fix before then or I've wasted my money.
2related issues arise:-
a) how do I fit the push cable to the cruise mechanism?
b) how do I remove the metal curved piece from the handlebar switch mechanism after removing the knurled nut.
Here's hoping one of you kind people can help me! This is the first time I have been stumped in 12 years of working on bikes.