GL1500 Engine dies when I put it in to gear? - Page 2 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Okay guys this is what I found, and fixed I hope.
lever is oversized from po, grip is oversized by me.
when I pulled it apart both switches looked good but looked like the switches were notbeing depressed enough.So I super glued a couple of strips plastic tie strap to the lever. Cleaned and greased moving parts, put it back together.
Stopped and took off 35 times in the last 2 hours and seems to be working fine.
Go figure.Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 06:07 PM

Year: 1999
Make: GL1500 SE
Post imported post

If you are talking about the switches on the clutch you did not fix the root cause of the motor stalling. You could take those switches and throw them in the trash and the symptoms would be the inability to disengage the cruise and it would only start in neutral. I suspect you will be revisiting the issue again but I hope not.

Mike

Worked on the "big rigs" for 45 years now just riding my Wing whenever I can. Gets cold in Wisconsin.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

You are probably right, but I now have 150 miles and maybe 60 starts and no problem, before I couldn't even go for coffee.
keeping my fingers crossed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 09:21 PM

Post imported post

I had that problem once and it turned out to be a lose kickstand switch. Tightened it up and everything was fine that was on the 96 Interstate I had.

I don't care how many miles you have ridden it without a problem it can come back and bite you when you are a long way from home. Many of us know how that is from years of experience. Best of luck with getting to the root cause.

If I leave a place no better than it was when I came, then I have never been there.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 09:38 PM
Postpubescent member

Model: None at present
Post imported post

You found the problem. It's not a rare one either.A worn clutch pivot bushing, crudbuildup around the switch plungers,or an aftermarket lever often cause this problem. Usually cleaning the switches with some contact cleaner/lube and making sure the switches are operating properly with an ohm meter will tell the tale. One switch should be closed when thelever is released and open when the lever is pressed.The other operatesthe same way but in opposite direction open when the lever is released and closed when pressed.

I've corrected the problem in the past when an aftermarket leverdidn't do the job bysuper gluing a small piece of aluminum cut from a pop can to the lever in the area where it contacts the switch plungers. Aluminum will last longer than plasticbecause the plastic will eventually dimple where pressed by the plungers.

One other possibility is a bad kick stand switch. An ohm meterwill tell you if it's working properly ornot.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
None at present
Past 'Wings: GL1100, GL1200, GL1500, GL1800

Current BMW C650GT
Paul W.
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

After what MarioC said, I pulled the kickstand switch out and found a 100 degree kink in the wires 1/2 " off the switch against the footrest mount . I rerouted the wires under thefront foot rest mount.Hope the wires are ok.thats the first place I'll look if it happens again.I'm going for coffee.
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 11:39 PM

Post imported post

Exavid,

You piqued my interest. I had a no start issue (in gear) related to the worn bushing. I repaired mine by putting a shim in the pushrod hole. In essence lenthening the pushrod. Anyway, I looked up the schematic in my Honda manual. It seems to me that both switches on the clutch are N.O. I am making one assumption. That is they are both single pole single throw switches. My manual describes each as using an ohm meter. No continuity on either switch until the lever is pulled. I don't dobt you but I could find no logic on my schematic that would tie it to an engine shutdown situation. Not saying there isn't. It's complex. I did notice the kickstand switch works just as you desribe. When the stand is down theclosed set ofpoints turn on the light while the open set disable starting and vice versa.

I hope that the stalling issue is fixed but I would kind of like to understand the logic of that circuit. Never know when I might need it. (in case you haven't figured out yet I like to do this kind of electricl stuff. Makes me think)

Mike

Worked on the "big rigs" for 45 years now just riding my Wing whenever I can. Gets cold in Wisconsin.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 12:48 AM
Postpubescent member

Post imported post

Unfortunately I don't have a 1500 wiring diagram around here since I sold my 1500 so I'm operating on an old memory. I'm pretty sure the cruise switch is NC when the cruise is enabled with the lever released and the start interrupt is NO at that time. It could well be the opposite but the clutch switch is definitely. There are four switches that affect the cruise. One on the front brake lever, one on the clutch one on the rear brake and one down by the carburetor. The last one is an override so you can kill the cruise by forcing the throttle closed by hand. For the starting system (which is a complex set up when you consider the reverse) there is the clutch switch and the kickstand switch as well as a diode pack that all effect the starting and starting in gear. There used to be a good electronic circuit program for the 1500's systems available on Goldwingdocs website take a look there for the GL1500 2000 electronic service manual (30M). It's a handy program with the different systems broken out with color coding and some good trouble shooting information.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
None at present

Current BMW C650GT
Paul W.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 04:13 PM

Post imported post

Paul,

Thanks for the information on the Wingdocs website. What a great resource. I wonder if someone might post that website where all members might be aware of that great resource.

Mike

post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 05:44 PM
Postpubescent member

Post imported post

I guess we sometimes forget that everyone doesn't know about it. The site was founded by a Saunders forum member. Indeed there is a lot of information there for those needing manuals and documents on the Goldwing.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
None at present

Current BMW C650GT
Paul W.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page