Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

GL1500 front wheel noise

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Saddle Time 
#1 ·
imported post

Pick up a whoop,whoop,whoop type noise with the front tire this weekend, tire looks OK, thought it was going flat or fixen to blow slowed down to about 30-40 mph about 20 miles from the house Its micheln pilot, Not sure what it is but its coming off, air pressure was good any ideas?? Not sure on the mileage of the tire.

#3 ·
imported post

Sounds to me like the beginning of tread separation.

Raise the front end off the ground a little and then slowly rotate the tire with your hand lightly dragging the entire width of the tread area. Pay attention to any irregularities or the tire being out of round. If it checks out, repeat the check on the rear tire. (sometimes noises from the rear sound like they are coming from the front).

#4 ·
imported post

That was the sound my car tire made when it began to separate (on our car - not the bike). As the tire cooled the problem was harder to find, but when it was warm...

#5 ·
imported post

I get that sometimes but it seems to related to road conditions and I only hear it (when I hear it) when I am coming to a stop. It could also be from the wear on the tires. My last front tire did this all the time and it was fine just cupped and no bubbles or tread separation.
Best thing to do is like stated above, get the front end off the ground and check it for out of round and cupping.

#7 ·
imported post

Thanks for the input, haven't had a chance to look at it yet, my first thought was tread seperation, will let everyone know for FYI when I find out, Thanks

#8 ·
FYI, check front wheel today, it had a large 3-4" bubble right in the center of tire. Tire date for the Mich pilot shows 0409. Sure glad my hearing is still good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.