Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

Year: 1982 - All Three
Make: Aspy, Interstate, Naked
Model: Naked
Garage
Post imported post

Well, I am in the middle of my rear shock rebuild on my GL1100. I started with a Forum search and found Gambler's post on GL1200 shock rebuild and it has been a great help though the GL1100 is just a bit different.

https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum9/14189-1.html

Here is another post of the GL1100 rear shock spring replacement. Has great photos and details of the shock disassemble process with another version of Gambler's tool.

https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum9/86014.html

I also found a great deal of information that I wanted to condense into this post.

First, to disassemble the shocks, take a look at Gamblers post. He has come up with a very nice shock compression tool which is crucial. I made one as well with scrap in the garage.

Here is a picture ofone of my shocks disassembled. I'll go through some of the failures, how to clean and prepare parts and assembly.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_3532.JPG (331.3 KB, 300 views)

WillWilly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Post imported post

The parts I purchased for my rebuild include a new set of progressive springs, a new pair of shock seals, four o-rings and new bottoming bump stops.

Progressive Springs for the GL1100(you can find them cheaper elsewhere if you look)
http://www.amazon.com/Progressive-Su...ywords=00-1170

Bumper Stops $2.99 a pair
http://www.energysuspensionparts.com...sp?prod=9.8104

Rear seals Honda part number 91257-463-013 about $11.00 each.

WillWilly
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Post imported post

The stock GL1100 and GL1200 shocks are Showa air-over shocks. The "shock" part of the rear assemble is "not" serviceable. It is a welded closed unit containing the piston, sleeve, compression and extension dampening valves. The GL1100 shock contains a rubber bumper stop on the shaft that cushions full compression. This is what causes a great deal of shock failures but can be remedied.

During my rebuild I found the rubber bump stop deteriorated. It appears not to be compatible with long exposure to oil. I also determined one of my shocks was not dampening on the compression stroke.

So... I wanted to investigate what actually failed and was surprised it wasn't wear of the internal components, it was the deterioration of the rubber bumper...

This is a picture of my shock, ground the cap off, and disassembled the components.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_3487.JPG (343.3 KB, 321 views)

WillWilly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Post imported post

What I found was the foot valve and piston valve were filled with goo from the bumper deterioration.

Here is a close up of the foot valve as I found it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_3488.JPG (375.7 KB, 276 views)

WillWilly
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Post imported post

This is what is left of the rubber pump stop.

The replacement bump stop I found is a universal polyurethane 3/8" ID, 1 1/4" OD. The ID is a bit small so you will have to drill out the center with a 7/16" bit to let it fit snuggly over the shaft. Make sure you clean the bushing very well after drilling.

I cut off the small nipple on the stop. I don't think you have to though.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_3534.JPG (271.3 KB, 241 views)

WillWilly
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Post imported post

Now there are plenty of shock options on the market for the GL1100, air and standard.

One place you can look is for "take offs" from some Harley Davidsons. They are the same air shock but come generally in black and may be just a little bit longer.

Do a search on ebay for Harley Davidson Air Shock and you will find a lot of options. Try to get the newest and ones where they have been sealed since removable. It is impossible to know if fluid has leaked nor the current oil level.

Here are some Harley part numbers to guide your search.

54532-85
54536-02A
54540-93
54565-09 FLH FLHT FLHR FLHTI 13" (G5E3-00)
54565-97 (A) FLH 13"
54565-97 (B)
54565-97 (C)
54631-02B Road king FLHRS or FLHX or FLTRX 12" shock pair "low profile"
54632-98 bagger 12" or 12.5
54635-09 12"
54661-02A Road King FLHR Street Glide 12" single shock "lowered"
54662-09 street glide 11.5"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg $(KGrHqN,!jEF!ek)0ZdsBQ(NwfO0og~~60_57.JPG (67.9 KB, 177 views)

WillWilly
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Post imported post

As mentioned above, Gambler's post on GL1200 shock rebuild shows a nice home made shock compression tool.

Here is my shock compression tool. I used some all thread, and pieces of metal scrap I had around the garage. The board is cut from Adventech 3/4" flooring (not particle board) since I don't have a metal hole saw.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_3491.JPG (286.0 KB, 244 views)

WillWilly
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Post imported post

So how do you fix a gummed up shock especially since you can't take the shock apart?

I had bought a couple shocks from one of our forum members and disassembled them to get a good shock. I found that these shocks also had the same problem with a deteriorated bump stop. I took both shocks and submerged them in lacquer thinner over night, activating them while submerged to make sure the internal sleevewas full.

Lacquer thinner will quickly dissolve the remnants of the bumperfrom the internal components. After soaking, remove and activate the shock several times to drain out all the thinner. I let my sit for a while in the sun to "bake" out the rest of the thinner.

There are no internal components of the GL1100 shock that will be adversely effected by the lacquer thinner.

Important: Before submersing the shock in lacquer thinner, remove the eye bushings.

Be gentle when activating the shock with lacquer thinner since it is not a lubricant.

As for the bumper, again I replaced it with http://www.energysuspensionparts.com...sp?prod=9.8104 and will not be effected by Automatic Transmission Fluid.

You can not assemble the shock without the bump stop. This keeps the piston from hitting the foot valve inside the shock. If it does bottom out, it could crack the valve and ruin the valve seat.

WillWilly
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Post imported post

So with the shock in the compression tool you can begin to assemble.

I use the bump stop to hold the shaft at full extension...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_3542.JPG (380.0 KB, 252 views)

WillWilly
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Post imported post

If you don't want to deal with using the original shock or believe they are not functioning properly, you can buy a new replacement.

You can replace the shock with the new replacement but only add 2.5 oz of fluid since the new shock is sealed

http://www.motorcyclepartsareus.com/...ct_Code=771170

Scroll down to find the replacement shocks. But at $195, I would strongly suggest you consider a pair of Progressive's Series 12 standard shocks and abandon the air shocks all together. You will spend about the same and have several spring options. I have a pair on my naked gold wing and love them! I had them on my Aspy while I was doing my rebuild and strongly considered buying another pair but the chrome Series 12 are pricey, so I went ahead with this rebuild.

WillWilly
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page