GL1100. Do I really have an Overheating issue - Page 2 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-20-2012, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveO430 View Post
That wouldn't matter at any speed above 15mph or so. And the air scoops that goldtop mentioned are important, I tried it without them myself and although mine didn't overheat it did run hotter without them.
I realize that...well more like 30mph. But the original post was questioning if the bike was really getting hot or it was a gauge issue. If the fan runs normally at lower speeds but isn't on when 'pegging the needle' in OD, I might wonder if the problem was the gauge, sending unit or related wiring.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-20-2012, 07:08 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzy View Post
I realize that...well more like 30mph. But the original post was questioning if the bike was really getting hot or it was a gauge issue. If the fan runs normally at lower speeds but isn't on when 'pegging the needle' in OD, I might wonder if the problem was the gauge, sending unit or related wiring.

I see your point but no way will he be able to hear the fan at that speed, 1100 fans barely make enough noise when stopped to hear it.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-20-2012, 11:55 PM Thread Starter

Model: 1980 Semi std has a faring no bags with 83 powerplant
Put in a new Stant thermostat, also has a one year old stant radiator cap, to answer a few questions. And here is the story of what has happened so far.
Well, checked temps and stuff as suggested and everything seemed pretty close to normal seemed to be a gauge issue. I had around 75 miles on the replacement engine and since things looked good took the bike for a trip from VV to SD about 300 miles round trip. Engine ran great got to SD parked bike and next morning about a quarter since oil spot on the ground, not good but nothing to serious, I thought. As I went up the pass to VV the engine started to howl got to VV stopped for dinner and had a steady leak out of the weep hole about a sliver dollars worth before we could walk away from the bike. Had a nice dinner, drove the bike home the last few miles and the howl got worse and an nasty puddle under the weep hole after parking the bike at the house. So the next step is to Replace what sure appears to be a BAD water pump. Will update after replacement of the pump. By the way what is the trick to getting the o"rings on the pump to go in. When I did it on the old engine it was a real bear to get the pump fitted back in with the the o"rings on it.
Thanks for putting up with the story.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 03:18 AM
Junior Grue

Model: 1984 Interstate "Canadian"
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTATSOC View Post
By the way what is the trick to getting the o"rings on the pump to go in. When I did it on the old engine it was a real bear to get the pump fitted back in with the the o"rings on it.
Thanks for putting up with the story.
Installing with dry o-rings seldom works. A little oil. grease or any other slippery substance makes installation easy and helps to prevent cutting the rings when installing.

Advise given here is free and comes with no warranty "Caveat emptor"

Ken.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 08:21 AM
Still Learning

Model: 2008 GL1800 Level 4
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Bergen View Post
Installing with dry o-rings seldom works. A little oil. grease or any other slippery substance makes installation easy and helps to prevent cutting the rings when installing.
+1

I use Grease. Works on exhaust manifold gaskets too.

Stu
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

John 14:6 Psalm 118:19-29
CMA Wings of Eagles-Escondido, Patriot Guard Ryder
+2008 Cabernet Red ABS/Airbag bought 6/2013 @16,000
+1983 ASPENCADE Barn find @36,000 to be sold
+1976 CB750K6 @25,000 was Dad's
Previous bikes
-1999 GL1500 ASPENCADE Red Sold barn find restored
-1999 GL1500 SE(@57k)(totaled by cagger @105,000) Feb 2013
-76 CB750K Red(new) sold @ 45k
-75 CB750K Blue(new) 9,000 mi Before cousin totaled it.
74 CB450 Burnt Orange(new) 9,000 miles sold
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-27-2012, 12:51 AM Thread Starter

Here's the update, the old water pump was wobbling so bad it was rubbing against the case good thing it was a fiber pump not a metal one. Also checked the thermostat I had it installed upside down. Used lot's of vasline on the o'rings put the pump in the freezer for about 4 hours and the pump slide in the case with a nice solid click with a good push. No leaks or drips in the driveway to late and cold to test drive tonight. Will give her a quick run in the morning before work.
Thanks for all the help
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-27-2012, 01:15 AM
Junior Grue

Model: 1984 Interstate "Canadian"
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTATSOC View Post
No leaks or drips in the driveway to late and cold to test drive tonight. Will give her a quick run in the morning before work.
Thanks for all the help
To late I'll buy but to cold at 45F and no rain no way.

Advise given here is free and comes with no warranty "Caveat emptor"

Ken.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-27-2012, 05:19 PM

overheating issue

Here is one of the lists available from NGW it has several of the parts you might try to bookmark it or copy and paste http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=7416

75 honda 750
83 honda shadow
79 GL1000 touring fitted (current)
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 12:08 AM Thread Starter

Smile

It was to cold to find out if I had an overheating problem absolutely not to cold to drive, have to have snow on the ground before it is to cold.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page