Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/)
-   Goldwing Technical Forum (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/)
-   -   GL1100. Do I really have an Overheating issue (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/395384-gl1100-do-i-really-have-overheating-issue.html)

PTATSOC 10-17-2012 07:36 PM

GL1100. Do I really have an Overheating issue

Just put an 83 engine in my 80 with a set of 83 gauges the engine has appox 100k runs strong no leaks, no water in oil, no oil in water, does not leak out of weep hole. Does still have an original water pump installed. When driving 1st through 4th the temp indicates just above mid gauge shift to 5th Overdrive 70 -80 mph temp gauge climes to just below the over temp mark. Out side air temp for my driving has been 85 or cooler. Do I have an over temp issue I would except the gauge to run cooler shifting to 5th slows the engine and more air through radiator. Is there a difference in temp sending units for the gauge change put a 150 mph speedo and OD tach with cluster. Do I have a gauge problem mismatch with sender how do I check or do I have an overheating issue.

DaveO430 10-17-2012 08:30 PM

The problem may be the radiator partially plugged. Sure the engine turns slower in 5th and there is more air flow at high speed but there is more load on the engine creating more heat and if the radiator can't dissipate it the temp will climb.

agnogel 10-18-2012 03:44 AM

If your temp gets up to the redline real fast it may be the thermostat

goldtop 10-18-2012 02:29 PM

to find out the true temp of the water try getting hold of a domestic radiator temp gauge. Their cheap and fit to a hose with a spring round the hose. Take the bike out and check the water temp at various stages of the journey. I would put it on the lower hose so you have some idea of what the water temp is like when the rad has finished it's job.

If you like use dave 0430's idea and try again with the gauge on the upper hose.

I suspect he is correct as usual but this may well prove to you that it is indeed a problem you need to sort.

goldtop 10-18-2012 02:31 PM

One more thing. You did put the air scoops back on the new set up did't you! Assuming your is a standard of course

exavid 10-18-2012 04:55 PM

I'd check the radiator first as mentioned by Dave 430. One quick check is to take off the radiator cap, fire up the engine and watch the water level in the radiator as you run the engine up and down from idle to 3500rpm or so. If the water level changes much from slow to fast engine rpms that's a pretty good indication of a scaled radiator. One other way to check a radiator is to scan it with a handheld IR thermometer with the engine running. The temperature on the front of the radiator from top to bottom at the left side, middle and right side. The temperature should be hottest at the top going smoothly down in temp as you scan downward. If you run the IR thermometer across the radiator at the same height the temperature should be pretty constant. Any sudden changes in temperature indicates a scaled or plugged area in the radiator. If you find this problem a good radiator shop can usually clean the radiator. Most auto parts store cleaning products really don't work well.

dizzy 10-18-2012 06:03 PM

I'm wondering if you ever hear your cooling fan running.

DaveO430 10-18-2012 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dizzy (Post 1701545)
I'm wondering if you ever hear your cooling fan running.

That wouldn't matter at any speed above 15mph or so. And the air scoops that goldtop mentioned are important, I tried it without them myself and although mine didn't overheat it did run hotter without them.

Ken Bergen 10-18-2012 08:44 PM

The water pump either works or if the shaft is broken it doesn't.

As the over heating only occurs in OD I would as others have said look to the radiator.

newday777 10-18-2012 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Bergen (Post 1701621)
The water pump either works or if the shaft is broken it doesn't.

As the over heating only occurs in OD I would as others have said look to the radiator.

Also, replace the thermostat, hoses and radiator cap. Aftermarket are available at auto parts stores. There used to be an Aftermarket parts list in the old main menu under GW tips. Where it is now????