They look so gorgoeus, don't they? TheGoldwing has got to be one of the most beautiful pieces of engineering man has ever produced....
But inside her heart is a dirty, dirty girl :wtf:
Weekend two begins in thundering rainstorms sweeping across Northern Califronia. Inside my humble garage, I have removed all the plastic from the GL1500. The main harness has been disconnected front and back, and is ready to be removed.
It takes most of Saturday to do this, and as the semi-sun is setting, I roll her out to be washed.
Body work removed:
- Center console
- Key Console
- Windshield and trim
- Upper front covers
- Side covers
- Lower left Front
- Lower right front
- Left and right Vents
- Speaker Panel and fairing top
- Cluster and gauges
- Front Fairing
- Fans (L/R)
- Trunk lid
- Trunk trim and anntennae
- Left saddlebag
- Right Saddlebag
- Front Fork Trim
- Rotor Covers
- Front fender
- Rear Plate Panel and trim
I put some gentle detergent in the power washer, and using a medium setting I wash her as best I can. It's mostly dust and grime on the ground, and I manage to get her pretty good except for her underbelly.
OH, did I mention my jack gave out?
Yes, my 10-year moto jack finally gave up the ghost, so off to Pep Boys for a new one (99.00)
Cleaning supplies by my side, and a six-roll bundle of paper towels, the manual cleaning began and by 10:30pm I had a decent cleanup done. (notice the big pile of rags in the pic above).
I used a citrus based cleaner for most of the frame and parts, but for the greasy underbelly, I used a mild version of grill/oven cleaner to foam away the crud. This worked well and did not compromise the metal or plastic.
So Far my missing parts list and replacements is pretty short. I go two sets of Japanese metrics from Cycle Gear, and I will hit Ace Hardware for the rest.
Remember how I said the brakes were working? Well, the rotors are pretty worn so they'll have to be replaced (You could actually feel the convex curve of the rotor surfaces, front and back. But no leaks, and the pads are worn but solid.
Finally, out with that damaged harness. Here's pics of the old one and the used rpelacement. Again, I lucked out got a full 1995 SE harness!
So as of Sunday afternoon, She's stripped down good and cleaned up. Out comes all the old oil, and I have flushed her with two new quarts of oil. I put a small STP filter on to do the first 1000 miles just to clear out all the cobwebs, with a larger Bosch filter waiting for the first real oil change to Rotella Synthetic.
Hey, anther nice surprise. The bike has a K&N Filter. Coolio.
Final task for the day: clean and flush the carbs. Manually pumped out all the old gas, and filled the pots with cleaner, letting them drain out the pot screws
Note: GL1500 pot screws will require a 16" + straight screw driver to reach from the front radiators. Be careful not to screw them completely out!
Time in so far: 41 hours
Cleaning supplies 20.00
Screw/bolt set 18.00
Windshield grommets 15.00
Carb Cleaner 9.00
Oil drain plug 5.00
NEXT: WEEKEND 3 - NEW WIRING HARNESS and electrical