LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 138 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
(Rick Sheeley GWRRA)

Year: 1995
Make: Honda (of course!)
Model: 1995 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Garage
Raising the Red Flag... Rebuild 1995 GL1500 SE

As promised, here is my thread for the resurrection of "dumb-Dumb's Dream".

Dumb-Dumb was my wife's grandfather, who used to ride an early Goldwing and supposedly rode it from Maine to Florida back in the day.... he was infamous around Harrisonburg, VA.....

Specs:

1995 Honda GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Pearl White w/ Red leather (aftermarket Corbin Seat red ostrich)
107,000 miles on the dial.

Purchase Price: $1200.00
Estimated parts to get running: $1100.00
Estimated parts for restore: $2200.00

Estimated hours needed:
Me 200 hours
Welder 2 Hours
Shop 10 hours
Painter 4 hours

Purchase condition:

Was running before wiring meltdown
Complete main wiring harness melted
Main harness 95% unwrapped, wires exposed
Apparent Shifter Seal Leak
Small radiator leak (unknown origin at moment)
Sitting for 1.5 years in garage in AZ
Missing Right body panel
Right Passenger floorboard (no Rubber)
Misc. small body pieces missing
glove/storage boxes missing
Broken trunk latches
Dirty and dusty but not bad
Oil on bottom/engine
Brakes work!
Console will light up with enough juice
Speakers trashed, but radio in good shape
Comm system unknown
Gauges intact and appear to work
Fairing damaged (bin area) but fixable

Discoveries:

Extra battery (for subwoofer/amp)
Gas in tank
Dark, dirty oil
Multiple bad wiring patches
Multiple bad wires
12x10x10 power amp "fiberglassed" into the right saddlebag with melted wires
Hole cut in same saddlebag for subwoofer "speaker"
Holes drilled in left saddlebag (why?)
Leaking left fork
Bad rotors (all)
Broken seat mount (passenger)

So begins the journey....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0902021828.jpg (203.9 KB, 867 views)
File Type: jpg 0902021829a.jpg (153.8 KB, 707 views)
File Type: jpg 025.jpg (140.9 KB, 678 views)
File Type: jpg 024.jpg (170.0 KB, 670 views)
File Type: jpg 022.jpg (183.7 KB, 731 views)
File Type: jpg WP_000155.jpg (188.3 KB, 941 views)
File Type: jpg WP_000166.jpg (150.9 KB, 686 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 138 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 05:16 PM
Wild Rhino - Canadian

Year: 2017
Model: 2017 GL1800
Wow, talk about being modified??? You have a boatload of stuff to correct to get it back on the road. But with the help of the people here on the forum, and lots of patience, you can do it.
Good Luck

2017 GL1800
USAF, MSgt. Retired
Wild Rhino
Patriot Guard
Dark Side #1019
N0PCT - General
Used to Fly Airplanes for fun
Used to Scuba Dive for fun
Now I ride the most awesome motorcycle on the face of the planet.
There is alot of other stuff that could go here.
post #3 of 138 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 05:38 PM
Senior Smart Aleck

Model: 97 GL1500 Aspencade
Garage
Best of luck to ya!!!

1984 Aspencade/24000 miles
1997 Aspencade/ 54500 miles

Life is a highway, I'm gonna ride it all night long,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

God Willin and the Creek Don\'t Rise!!

Darksider #1409
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Patriot Guard Rider

Honorary Rhino

GWRRA

Honorary Newfie!! I have kissed the Cod (or whatever it was), downed the Screech, and shouted "Long may your big jib draw", so I am now a member of the Royal Order of Newfoundland Screechers.

JACK WHITE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 138 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 06:06 PM

Model: GL1500, GL1800
Great project...and well worth the effort as any bike at 100k would similarly require a complete going-through as well.

I void warranties

KJ6QFZ
Dark Side #590

GL1500, 1990SE, 220k miles
Front: Bridgestone Battlax BT45, 41psi
Rear: Austone 175R16, 50psi

GL1800, 2003, 60K miles [following virginity reconstruction]
Rear: Pirelli Winter Snowcontrol Series3, Run Flat, 41 psi
post #5 of 138 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
(Rick Sheeley GWRRA)

Garage
Weekend #1

First weekend's work consisted of sizing up the bike and planning the removal of all the bodywork in order to:

1. Completetly clean the bike inside/out
  2. Inventory all the missing pieces for the bodywork
  3. Size up the extent of the electrical damage and plan removal of the main wiring harness
  4. Plan fluid swaps
  5. Evaluate braking system

The first weekend I removed just enough of the panels and saddle bags to take a decent look at the harness damage, the bodywork, the frame, engine, and controls.

The very first issue was the contents of the saddlebags, The left bag opened easy enough, but the right was being quite a bugger. The cat I bought DDRougette (Mark) from was never able to get the right saddlebag open. I figured it out in about 10 minutes, and inside was a BIG surprise: something about 12x12x8 that was FIBERGLASSED completely into the saddlebag.

At first thought, I was thinking "extra gas tank" or "Trip to Mexico special storage space" (Everybody get that one?) It's AZ bike, so maybe it was ammo storage... anyways, I went for the most reasonable explanation: gas. Trouble was. I couldn't find any fuel lines running to the bag. So I looked under the bag and surprise.... a 10" round hole in the bottom of the bag for a sub-woofer speaker. Mystery solved: Amp and subwoofer, which explained the extra battery, the wires, the FRIED WIRES, and all the extra wires running to the trashed-out speakers.

This was a disheartening start, as I was now going to have to replace both saddlebags ( the left one had multiple holes drilled in it). But I got lucky, and found a set 95 Pearl white bags the next day here in Sacramento (Buddah bless Craigslist!) So off came the bags, the seats, the main console radio, lowers, side panel(left).

The Main harness was bad, really bad. And there were many wiring patches for LED light strips (none soldered or shrink-wrapped). The guy Mark had bought the bike from had added on a funky "relay" to route the power for the amps and lights with all the lines exposed and easily shorted. The ends of the harness had melted, and I had to pry them from the front and rear connection points. But I got lucky: all the damage appeared to be in the main harness, and when I hooked up the battery charger, the console actually lit up , and the radio worked! I also tested the Interstate battery, and amazingly it was holding a charge.

Time in so far: 21 hours

Parts:

Saddlebags (2) 75.00
WD-40 (2 cans) 8.00
Paper towels 5.00

Cost-to-date:

Bike 1200.00
Trailer Rental 105.00
Parts 88.00

WEEKEND1 1393.00

NEXT: WEEKEND 2 - Clean,clean,clean......
post #6 of 138 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
(Rick Sheeley GWRRA)

Garage
Weekend #2

They look so gorgoeus, don't they? TheGoldwing has got to be one of the most beautiful pieces of engineering man has ever produced....

But inside her heart is a dirty, dirty girl :wtf:

Weekend two begins in thundering rainstorms sweeping across Northern Califronia. Inside my humble garage, I have removed all the plastic from the GL1500. The main harness has been disconnected front and back, and is ready to be removed.

It takes most of Saturday to do this, and as the semi-sun is setting, I roll her out to be washed.

Body work removed:

(removed previously)
  • Seats
  • Center console
  • Key Console
  • Radio
  1. Mirrors
  2. Windshield and trim
  3. Upper front covers
  4. Side covers
  5. Headlight
  6. Lower left Front
  7. Lower right front
  8. Left and right Vents
  9. Speaker Panel and fairing top
  10. Cluster and gauges
  11. Front Fairing
  12. Fans (L/R)
  13. Trunk lid
  14. Trunk trim and anntennae
  15. Trunk
  16. Left saddlebag
  17. Right Saddlebag
  18. Front Fork Trim
  19. Rotor Covers
  20. Front fender
  21. Airbox
  22. Rear Plate Panel and trim

I put some gentle detergent in the power washer, and using a medium setting I wash her as best I can. It's mostly dust and grime on the ground, and I manage to get her pretty good except for her underbelly.

OH, did I mention my jack gave out? Yes, my 10-year moto jack finally gave up the ghost, so off to Pep Boys for a new one (99.00).

Cleaning supplies by my side, and a six-roll bundle of paper towels, the manual cleaning began and by 10:30pm I had a decent cleanup done. (notice the big pile of rags in the pic above).

I used a citrus based cleaner for most of the frame and parts, but for the greasy underbelly, I used a mild version of grill/oven cleaner to foam away the crud. This worked well and did not compromise the metal or plastic.

So Far my missing parts list and replacements is pretty short. I go two sets of Japanese metrics from Cycle Gear, and I will hit Ace Hardware for the rest.

Remember how I said the brakes were working? Well, the rotors are pretty worn so they'll have to be replaced (You could actually feel the convex curve of the rotor surfaces, front and back. But no leaks, and the pads are worn but solid.

Finally, out with that damaged harness. Here's pics of the old one and the used rpelacement. Again, I lucked out got a full 1995 SE harness!

So as of Sunday afternoon, She's stripped down good and cleaned up. Out comes all the old oil, and I have flushed her with two new quarts of oil. I put a small STP filter on to do the first 1000 miles just to clear out all the cobwebs, with a larger Bosch filter waiting for the first real oil change to Rotella Synthetic.

Hey, anther nice surprise. The bike has a K&N Filter. Coolio.

Final task for the day: clean and flush the carbs. Manually pumped out all the old gas, and filled the pots with cleaner, letting them drain out the pot screws

Note: GL1500 pot screws will require a 16" + straight screw driver to reach from the front radiators. Be careful not to screw them completely out!

Time in so far: 41 hours

Parts:

Cleaning supplies 20.00
Screw/bolt set 18.00
Oil/Filters 30.00
Jack 99.00
Windshield grommets 15.00
Multi-Gauge 15.00
Carb Cleaner 9.00
Oil drain plug 5.00

Cost-to-date:

WEEKEND1 1393.00
WEEKEND2 226.00

TOTAL 1619.00

NEXT: WEEKEND 3 - NEW WIRING HARNESS and electrical
post #7 of 138 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 07:55 PM
Senior Smart Aleck

Model: 97 GL1500 Aspencade
Garage
nicely done

Enjoying following this project.

When u get done can I bring mine out for a deep clean

1984 Aspencade/24000 miles
1997 Aspencade/ 54500 miles

Life is a highway, I'm gonna ride it all night long,

God Willin and the Creek Don\'t Rise!!

Darksider #1409

Patriot Guard Rider

Honorary Rhino

GWRRA

Honorary Newfie!! I have kissed the Cod (or whatever it was), downed the Screech, and shouted "Long may your big jib draw", so I am now a member of the Royal Order of Newfoundland Screechers.

JACK WHITE
post #8 of 138 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 08:16 PM

Model: GL1500, GL1800
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgypsy View Post
...I used a citrus based cleaner for most of the frame and parts, but for the greasy underbelly, I used a mild version of grill/oven cleaner to foam away the crud. This worked well and did not compromise the metal or plastic...
> Try a heavy coat of Lemon Pledge, and let it sit for a week... at which point the heavy crud will often wipe right off.

Quote:
...So Far my missing parts list and replacements is pretty short. I go two sets of Japanese metrics from Cycle Gear, and I will hit Ace Hardware for the rest...
> Suggest replacing as many of the hex head bolts you can with Stainless Steel Socket Head Cap Screws (that use an allen wrench)... They are so much easier to install/remove, especially with a ball-end-allen-wrench. Just buy a box of 6, 8 & 10mm SSCS's.

Quote:
...Remember how I said the brakes were working? Well, the rotors are pretty worn so they'll have to be replaced (You could actually feel the convex curve of the rotor surfaces, front and back. But no leaks, and the pads are worn but solid...
> The convex curve does not matter, so long as they meet the minimum thickness... Bike pads are so soft that they will quickly wear to conform to the curve/lip. It's a judgement call, however they are not as critical as on a car (which has harder pads).
> It would be a good opportunity to install some stainless steel brake lines, while you've got it all opened up.

I void warranties

KJ6QFZ
Dark Side #590

GL1500, 1990SE, 220k miles
Rear: Austone 175R16, 50psi

GL1800, 2003, 60K miles [following virginity reconstruction]
Rear: Pirelli Winter Snowcontrol Series3, Run Flat, 41 psi
post #9 of 138 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 09:15 PM

Year: 1998
Make: Honda
Model: GL1500SE, 1998
Looks like a great project, I think I'm a little jealous. Nice looking bike, but I'm not really digging that red plastic around the console.
post #10 of 138 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
(Rick Sheeley GWRRA)

Garage
Thanks Alex!

Some great suggestions. I'll be sure and use them.

At it's age, I think another set of rotors is a safe for the next 100K. And the new rotors are so much lighter than the originals.

I especially agree with your bolt suggestion. Will be replacing as I go.....

KG
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page