GL1500 LED Driving lights very dim - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Year: 1998
Make: Honda
Model: GL1500SE, 1998
GL1500 LED Driving lights very dim

I replaced my driving lights with LEDs, using the instructions on Goldwing docs.
They seem really dim, when I stand back 25 feet or so, you can hardly tell they are on. Defiantly not what I expected.
Has anyone worked through anything similar?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

Oh..I forgot, this is on a 98 SE.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 09:23 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VDIGUY View Post
I replaced my driving lights with LEDs, using the instructions on Goldwing docs.
Do you have a link, and what LED's did you use?

Libraries are full of stuff I don\'t know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

Here is the link, I used the recommended bulb in the article.

http://goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=9444
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 09:45 PM

LED lights are very bright 'to be seen' and work very well as driving lights for daytime use, and also for tail lights. However LED lights do not throw out much light down the road and generally are a poor choice for the nighttime need of lighting up the road ahead of you.

this is why I have four driving lights, two LED for daytime and two halogen for nighttime use only.

'RIDE TO BE SEEN'

Most common quote from a cager after killing a motorcyclist is?

"I never saw him".
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

I knew they weren't good for seeing, but better for being seen. Im good with that concept, but I just cant see them. ( I have halogens for night time as well)
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDIGUY View Post
I knew they weren't good for seeing, but better for being seen. Im good with that concept, but I just cant see them. ( I have halogens for night time as well)
Sounds like you need to get different LED bulbs in there, or work with a different reflector around it, mine are very bright indeed, I am using the same bulb that your link refers to, but keep in mind that LED bulbs do best when the light is directly facing you, or into a good reflector.

'RIDE TO BE SEEN'

Most common quote from a cager after killing a motorcyclist is?

"I never saw him".
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 12:00 AM

Model: 1981 1100
Garage
There are that many different types of LED bulbs and only now are we getting some really bright ones. Normally if they are cheap they are not bright. I am experimenting with these ones which are quite bright. Note they are 9 watt.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2x-9W-Whi...item1e777c9ccf
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 09:09 AM

Model: 91 Aspencade with a 97 powerplant!
Doubt they are 9 watt LED's...

Ansimp,

I can tell you right off the bat that these are NOT 9 watt LED lights just by looking at them.

To dissipate 9 watts per LED (or even 4.5 watts each) you would need a large heat sink on them to dissipate the heat generated. In not having that heat sink, these will have a very short life span.

Just take a look at any proper, good quality LED light assembly and notice 99.9% of the time the actual case is a finned for heat dissipation. I think that like most companies on flea bay, these numbers have been fudged or absolute maximum maximum values have been published (IE: a $10 audio amp that puts out 350 Watts per channel).

Tim.

1) Experience is something you don't get until after you need it.
2) A closed mouth gathers no foot.
3) IF YOU DON'T HAVE TIME TO DO IT RIGHT, WHEN WILL YOU HAVE TIME TO DO IT OVER??
____

Horsepower is an illusory mathematical equation; Torque is REAL, and is the source of all good things in the world.

The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?

Please visit
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 09:25 AM
Anti-Guru

Model: '06 GL1800
One of the other issues with running an H1-style bulb mount in the '98+ driving lights is that this places the LEDs well forward of the reflector's focus. (I know the article and supplier prolly calls the LED used an "H3", but compare an H1 to an H3 and you'll see where I'm going)

The linked "DIY" article is for the Cornering lamps where the lens is heavily fluted and any light reaching the lens will be dispersed (re-focused seems to be too-precise of a term to use for what really happens). In the driving light configuration, the light output relies significantly more on the reflector working as designed; placement of the light source in teh reflector is much mor critical for the clear lens of the driving light!

IMHO, it's not too surprising that you've ended up with what looks like a tiny LED inside a big window -- It may help to compare the position of the LED SMD chips with the position of the filaments in the OEM bulb ... Again, just me talking here but the pics below, from the DIY clearly show the difference for the positioning of the light source.

You may be able to go with a more accurately place H3 (and higher wattage is always nice too)

The OEM Bulb (look at the mount to filament length - the reflector is 'tuned' to have light from the filament):

Now have a look at the LED assembly (look at light source to mounting plate; I still contend that this is closer to H1 spec):
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page