I give up GL1500 HID light wiring - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 01:50 AM Thread Starter

Model: 1996 1500a
Unhappy I give up GL1500 HID light wiring

OK, call me names but I read a thread about wiring a relay into the headlight sytem so the lights dont come on every time with the key and the start button. The problem is I can't find the thread. If someone could point me in the right direction I would be greatful. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 03:00 AM
Other side of the pond

Model: GL1800, GL1500SE, GL1200A
Perhaps this one: https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/...it-gl1500.html

Ted Kelly.
Current Wings; 2006 GL1800 & 1997 GL1500se.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 03:12 AM Thread Starter

I just read that thread again, yes it talks about the relay but not exatly the thread I thought I read. Or if someome could explan how to wire the relay in. I'm ok with wiring but I'm no wizard so if possible keep it as simble as possible. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 04:59 AM

Model: 91 Aspencade with a 97 powerplant!
It’s not about wiring a relay into the bike to run the HID system. That will get you nowhere.

What you need to do is one of 2 things:

1) Have the HID system on a regular switch. You would be responsible got turning the lights ON and OFF yourself. You need only buy a properly rated switch – 15a @ 12vdc and wire it in line with the power that supplies the HID inverters.

2) Have the HID system on a timer. There are many timers out there. E-may has a bunch of them like this one HERE or you can go to any industrial electrical supply store or some automotive shops that install stereos and HID system and get one.

The timers are simple to install and can be usually adjusted in their delay cycle.

I have been considering a HID system for my 1500. I will take a bit different approach but it will be based on the manual switch.

One final note (to everyone)… and please don’t take offence to this, but if you are uncomfortable in wiring or really don’t understand the principals in working with electrical circuits and making PROPER electrical connections, please do yourself a favor and find someone that is. So many people damage the electrical systems in their bikes thinking that a simple fuse with prevent damage. People are always complaining that their “new to them” Wing has electrical gremlins.

Chances are good that if you don’t know where to place a timer relay or switch in a circuit, then you don’t know how to properly wire it into the circuit. Crimp on BUTT connectors are NOT the way to go. Most people don’t even know how to properly use them! You can burn your bike up or damage it beyond a reasonable cost of repair.

Hire someone to do it properly, watch them do it and learn from them. No shame it that guys!

Preaching over! Hahahaha

Tim.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg $(KGrHqJ,!oIFB(Gcny)GBQlG0wrfy!~~60_3.jpg (113.9 KB, 36 views)

1) Experience is something you don't get until after you need it.
2) A closed mouth gathers no foot.
3) IF YOU DON'T HAVE TIME TO DO IT RIGHT, WHEN WILL YOU HAVE TIME TO DO IT OVER??
____

Horsepower is an illusory mathematical equation; Torque is REAL, and is the source of all good things in the world.

The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?

Please visit
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 05:49 AM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
I have my 1800 wired so the headlights come on when the engine gets oil pressure but it is a matter of changing 1 wire. A 1500 is a different matter, it can still be done that way but requires a normally closed relay and some wiring. Be patient and I'll try to help you out with it this evening.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

Alitte back ground. I installed the plug and play HIDS kit bought from cycle max. I would like to add the timer relay to the headlight curcit. I asked the question so maybe someone has done the leg work for me, I can do all the wire connections. But I'm always looking for the best and safest way of doing any job. Thanks.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 08:22 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Mr Magic Fingers will have to help you with that, I know nothing about a timer relay.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 08:43 PM

Hid

The HID usually call for a separate power supply for the ballasts and use the existing headlight circuit only to trigger the power on. I ran the ballast power cable to my EC expansion fuse panel. This panel also supplies heated gear, accessory outlets, air horn and some LED lights. The panel was set up with a relay fired from the accessory terminal on the stock fuse block so off when key is off. I added a manual switch to this accessory lead; very little amperage draw. I check that it's off before starting and then turn it on once she fires up. Less HID arcs as well as less load on start.

I thought about the relay on oil pressure, or some other auto trigger but decided to keep it simple.

DARKSIDE #1500

2015 Goldwing - basic black

Previously: GL1200 Standard, GL1200 Interstate, GL1500, Valkyrie, Valkyrie Interstate many other Hondas

Ham Extra Class AC1R

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 05:30 AM

Model: 91 Aspencade with a 97 powerplant!
OKÖ Itís 5am and I am drawing this block diagram by hand without the aid of coffee quickly before I head out the door. Please excuse any errors or omissions. Itís a block diagram to convey a concept not instructions on how to do it. I canít provide instructions on how to do it as I am not there to see what you exactly have and wires involved. This is just a theory of operation.

In theory, this is what has to happen. If you canít follow it from here then I would say to have someone knowledgeable do it for you. Save you time, your money and your bike.

#1 Existing headlights.

#2 Typically the wire harness that goes to your headlights are plugged into the ballasts for the new HID system. Thatís how it gets itís Hi/Lo beam switching. Note the dotted lines.

#3 Your HID ballasts.

#4 The HID bulbs

#5 The ballast gets its operation power via a fuse that would normally go to you ignition switch or a switched ACC circuit. (See #7ís dotted lines.)

#6 I would install a Time Delay On timer instead of going to the ignition switch or switched ACC circuit. In this configuration, when the key of the bike is in the RUN position, it activates the TDO timer to whatever you have it set for and then will provide the power to your HID system. This way it will not try to ignite the HID system every time the ignition switch to set to RUN for a few seconds before the timer times out and provides power to the ballasts

#7 This is how it would typically be wired.

See? Easy! Hahahahaha

Tim.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HID timer circuit block diag_resize.jpg (108.9 KB, 92 views)

1) Experience is something you don't get until after you need it.
2) A closed mouth gathers no foot.
3) IF YOU DON'T HAVE TIME TO DO IT RIGHT, WHEN WILL YOU HAVE TIME TO DO IT OVER??
____

Horsepower is an illusory mathematical equation; Torque is REAL, and is the source of all good things in the world.

The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?

Please visit
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-11-2013, 12:00 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. Will get what I need and let you know how it went. Thanks again.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page