Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Merced, California, USA
I had that problem, and it was a mess. I can tell you what I did, but it may not have been the best way to fix it.
After I pulled the Relay panel away from the bike, I cut the burned sections of wire off. Then I soldered new wires to replace the burnt ones. I fed those through the relay panel and addded spade clips to the ends. I also put heat shrink tubing over the spade connectors.
There was enough slack that I was able to nnect the wires to the new relay, and slid it in place. I used a little dielectric grease to reduce overheating.
I was blowing relay 3 constantly, and always at the worst possible time. Since I did the fix, I haven't had any more problems.
Good luck on the fix.
1994 Red GL-1500 SE