GL1000 No Spark or almost no spark - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 11:53 PM Thread Starter

GL1000 No Spark or almost no spark

Hello, I am needing some help on an issue I am having. I am getting partial spark at times. it was running fine and then it stopped. seems like two mornings in a row it would not start but when I got home in evening it would crank up.
It was converted over to a dyna system when bought the bike.
I have a spare spark plug so I pulled the wires and tested both sides of the motor for spark. I did not got a spark.
I did find interesting facts.
I would crank it and it would not start but when I turned the key to off while cranking I got an explosion like a gun going off. I checked the spark while turning the key in the ignition. when it goes from on to off or on to P there is a spark right between the off and on and on and P. but when on the on position there is no spark.
I bought a new key ignition.
still have same issue.
another thing that happened when looking over the dyna wires that the red power wire was wired into the flasher system. I cut the wire and put it on the power side of the fuse in the panel. Now I had the key still on the on position and found that when I touch it to the power that the spark plug started sparking away. but when I use the button to start it does not start.
not sure if it would be a kill switch or dyna system. I have accell coil and points that I can switch it over to or thinking about getting kill switch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0522.jpg (243.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0544.jpg (195.9 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0542.jpg (192.3 KB, 12 views)

77\' GoldWing
76\' GoldWing work in progress
75\' Honda CB 360T -Just traded somethings with owner of a bike shop.
74\' Honda CB360-Craiglist trade and total restoration project for winter time(now parts bike)

Previous:
86\' Honda Rebel
07\' Suzuki S40
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-29-2013, 12:21 AM

Model: 1986 GL1200I
Strange what you say about the key switch and the new key switch. Did you replace it with a new switch or a used switch? The kill switch you can disassemble and clean the contacts inside and clean and tighten the wire connections. The key switches can also be taken apart and cleaned, I've done two without breaking anything, I'm batting 1000.

Scott

Send lawyers, guns and money

"I feel thin, sort of stretched, like butter scraped over too much bread" Bilbo Baggins

1986 GL 1200 Interstate, Poorboy Conversion,Pinstriped by Charlie Buzzard
1975 GL 1000, Fermenting
Plus, 2 garages and one shed full
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-29-2013, 12:29 AM
Junior Grue

Model: 1984 Interstate "Canadian"
Your symptoms sound like a weak battery.
Cranks the engine fine but while doing so the voltage drops to less than the ignition requires to operate.

Advise given here is free and comes with no warranty "Caveat emptor"

Ken.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-29-2013, 06:08 AM

Year: 2006
Make: Honda
Model: GL1000 1975 K1+GL1800 2006 airbag(US-model)+NRX1800 Rune 2004
Garage
I am with Ken

The winner is the man with most tools !
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-29-2013, 08:21 AM

Model: 93 Gl1500 / 76 Gl1000
And just FYI. The wire going to the flasher is just a switched 12 volts point that Dyna recommends for connecting to power.

Tom

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Black 93 1500 Aspy
Yellow 76 1000
Black Cherry 04 Rune Sold

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

"You have enemies? Good. That means you have stood up for something, sometime in your life." Winston Churchill

"I've now been in 57 states? I think one left to go?" B. O.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-29-2013, 08:26 AM Thread Starter

I bought a bran new emigo key set for $26 with new keys. so brand spankin new. I did take old one apart and the copper was little darkened and broke a wire so just bought a new one. thought better safe than sorry.

77\' GoldWing
74\' Honda CB360-Craiglist trade and total restoration project for winter time(now parts bike)

Previous:
86\' Honda Rebel
07\' Suzuki S40
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-29-2013, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

New battery and also when battery got low I used a portable jumper box I keep in the side compartment for bad situation when battery goes dead.
Not sure if I mentioned it in the main write up.
When I connected the red power wire from the Dyna points box to the + side of the fuse then the spark plug made all kinds of noise and saw sparks jumping.
so key was in on position, touched the dyna power wire to a power source on the bike and got several sparks. when push the start button on the kill switch . nothing.

77\' GoldWing

Previous:
86\' Honda Rebel
07\' Suzuki S40
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-29-2013, 08:53 AM
Banned

Which Dyna? ...the "S"?
Make sure the red power wire is getting its 12V only when the key is on.
I wouldn't concern myself too much with the key on/off thing. I'm thinking it's a coincidence only issue. My '78 does the same thing if I'm fiddlin' with turning the key on and off. The electronic modules are positioned relative to the rotor in such a way that the ignition tries to cycle when the key gets turned on sometimes. Usually after the cylinder tries to fire-off, ..the rotation repositions the rotor and it won't happen until I start fiddling again sometime after running the bike around.

I would look at the electrical connections on the primary side of the ignition.
Red, black and white wires of the Dyna, and the grounding of the plate in the point housing.

My gut feeling is telling me to look closely at those modules; whether the power to them (red wire), the modules individually (black and/or white wires) or the plate grounding.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-29-2013, 11:09 AM

Model: 1986 GL1200I
Dirty tarnished kill switch. The backfire switch, a good place to lose voltage to the coils, another good reason for the coil relay mod.

Scott

Send lawyers, guns and money

"I feel thin, sort of stretched, like butter scraped over too much bread" Bilbo Baggins

1986 GL 1200 Interstate, Poorboy Conversion,Pinstriped by Charlie Buzzard
1975 GL 1000, Fermenting
Plus, 2 garages and one shed full
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page