GL1000 w/VFR coils 1 per cylinder - Page 4 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-19-2014, 06:44 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
You're right about all of that trikebldr but most of us are not going to go to the trouble of doing a major ignition modification. I experimented and found a simple change to a stock dodge neon coil on 1100s and 1200s made a significant seat of the pants improvement and that's good enough for me and several others who have followed and done the same thing. Not to diminish your work as it is very interesting reading and good information for someone wanting to get all they can out of their vintage bike.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
Banned

I agree with both you and Dave 100%.

The basics are missing. Not necessarily from me though.
Anyway, I chose The MP-08's over the stick-coils that everyone else was going with at the time ..for their size.
I road-mapped my plan in the opening post just as I had it on paper. I always start with pen and paper first.
"Digital" summarizes much.

I sure like keeping things period to the daily-rider '78.
If I'm doing something to that bike, my overall goal has been to keep it relatively simple and not go beyond early-80's technology. To date, whatever has been done to it could've been duplicated back in '82.
Though those coils depart from that ideological viewpoint, it would give the visual appearance of not doing so while dramatically improving my ignitions capabilities.

Changes have since happened.

I had to replace the engine in the daily-rider due to a spun bearing. The rotating assembly uses a altered crankshaft.
I built that destroked engine for sustained high-rpm use above the factory redline. That engine was redesigned for use with DOHC heads.
The only original part in the bottom-end is the crank which had the rod journals altered and, as you know because of that, everything else changed, including the top-end, stock heads or not..
That engine is a mix of manufactures.
This is where you now come into the game.

I had help from someone in California.

I had jumped the gun in starting this thread thinking evolution would be nice as a tool for teaching.
For other reasoning I chose to leave this thread alone despite having completed the goal myself quietly.
This set-up is capable. That is the word, "capable".
For the average Schmo, thos is incredibly cost effective.

I had become so muddied in the effort of trying get a base understanding together, starting with terminology, that "digital" was good-enough for me at the time if that is what is understood.
I had given-up on passive participation.

How about this: I am now the recipient of passive information.
Seeing that picture of your bike using that simple ignition solution for a single-fire ...had never crossed my mind. That bothers me.

I am done giving passively for some very good reasons.
What I am seeing elsewhere today with a ignition manufacturer and another forum will eventually play itself out in a unhealthy and epitomized kind of way. I could be wrong.
I am done with this thread.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page