Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

1500 noise from front wheel

2K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  OnaWingAndaPrayer 
#1 ·
Hi there,
I've recently swapped my slightly tired looking front wheel from my 1500 for a really nicely refurbished one that came with a nearly new tire. Bike looks a real treat now but ever since the change I've noticed a slight grating noise once every rotation, more noticeable when navigating a right hand bend at low speeds. Any thoughts on what this may be please?
The new wheels is straight and true and I know it's not either of the front the brake pads....right side was replaced before changing the wheel, left side has just been replaced in case they were causing the noise, but it's still there.
One thought.....when I look at the bike straight on from the front the mudguard is not quite central - it is just slightly to the right of the bike (as I sit on it). I wonder if the new wheel is not quite in the same alignment as the old one (but then it should be shouldn't it?) so the mudguard is catching slightly on the tyre.....but wouldn't that be a constant rubbing noise?
Any thoughts and suggestions very welcome! Thanks in anticipation.

#2 ·
How where the wheel bearings on the new wheel? Have you removed and reinstalled the new wheel to see if there is a change? When you installed the axle, did you tighten the pinch bolts before you tightened the axle bolt? Is the axle alighnment mark in the right location?

Pix would help in figuring out the problem.

Ride sfe,
Rich

#4 ·
its possible that your "new" wheel may have a bad bearing .

I think maybe your new wheel is in need of ajustment of the fork/axle relationship and the sound might be the caliper braket scruffing the disc .

Per the Honda service manual page 15-9 :

" Measure the clearance between each surface of the left brake disc and the leftbrake caliper braket with a 0.70mm (0.028in) feeler gauge .
If the feeler gauge cannot be inserted easily , loosen the front axle pinch bolts and move the left fork slider out until the feeler gauge can be inserted . Then retighten the left axle pinch bolts (22N-m, 2.2kg-m , 22ft lb) "

#9 ·
its possible that your "new" wheel may have a bad bearing .

I think maybe your new wheel is in need of ajustment of the fork/axle relationship and the sound might be the caliper braket scruffing the disc .

Per the Honda service manual page 15-9 :

" Measure the clearance between each surface of the left brake disc and the leftbrake caliper braket with a 0.70mm (0.028in) feeler gauge .
If the feeler gauge cannot be inserted easily , loosen the front axle pinch bolts and move the left fork slider out until the feeler gauge can be inserted . Then retighten the left axle pinch bolts (22N-m, 2.2kg-m , 22ft lb) "
What is the "left fork slider" referred to in Onawingandaprayer's response above please, and does it show anywhere in the photos in the "GL1500 front wheel removal" page here: http://www.goldwingfacts.com/1500frontwheel.htm

Thanks

#5 ·
Richman2000 - Can you elaborate further on this axle alignment mark? A picture would be great. I have a slight drag/resistance on my front wheel, and I don't recall any mark on mine. Is it on the large shouldered portion (left end) where the screwdriver hole for rotating is?

#7 ·
I would be taking a long hard look at the tire itself.

#8 ·
Thanks for all the replies so far. In response to the questions:
Wheel bearings were brand new on the new wheel
Tire is absolutely fine. ..no bulges
Pinch bolts were tightened to correct torque
I actually followed the "how to remove the front wheel" instructions on this website to the letter to remove / replace the wheel. However that makes no mention of measuring the caliper clearance or the axle realignment mark....so I'm interested to know more about those two aspects. Does the "how to. .." article need updating?
Thanks again.

#10 ·
I believe what is referred to is the left fork where the pinch bolts are. Loosen the pinch bolts and you can pry out the slider slightly so that you have the proper clearance.
It is pictured in the last sequence of three pictures (the far right one in the sequence).

Here is a link from the page in the service manual that references how to do that.

Attachments

#11 ·
The alignment mark is the groove on the left end of the axle. That mark should be at the outside edge of the left fork. I was taught that you align the mark, then tighten the left pinch bolts. Then tighten the right pinch bolts before the axle nut.

Ride safe
Rich

#12 · (Edited)
The page from the service manual that Bellboy40 kindly attached states that the clearance between the caliper and the disk rotor should be around 0.028 inches. My gap is a bit smaller than that so I'm trying to increase the gap.
Where the manual say "...loosen the front axle pinch bolts and move the left fork slider out until the gauge can be inserted..."
What is the "left fork slider" that the service manual refers to please? Is it what I think of as the axle? If so how do I "slide it out" and using what tools? The axle is obviously firmly bolted on the right side of the wheel so how would it slide out?
Sorry for being thick and thanks in anticipation?

#14 ·
Basically the left front caliper does not automatically center itself on the rotor (eg widthwise position on the bike) during assembly of the front wheel ...hence it's easy to accidently locate the caliper off-center, such that it rubs against the rotor or mouting bolts ...on mine it made a tick tick tick sound.

Anyhow, as others mentioned, simply loosen the fork pinch bolts, center the left caliper (using shim gage to gap both sides), retighten the left pinch bolts, then the axle nut, then the left pinch bolts.

#15 ·
The adjustment has nothing to do with the caliper which is floating and thus self centring.

The adjustment is between the caliper mounting bracket (which is attached to the fork leg) and the rotor.
This can be done with or without the caliper mounted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.