New GL1200 Wing owner and a starting problem - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-26-2013, 01:32 AM Thread Starter

Model: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
Garage
New GL1200 Wing owner and a starting problem

Alright so I just bought a 1984 GL1200 Interstate. I rode it on Sunday and it started on the first rotation of the engine and ran great! Rode it around 30 miles and stopped several times and restarted, no issues. The PO told me that when it got really cold outside you had to bump start it and then the starter would work properly the rest of the day.

Well, it was only about 46 degrees fahrenheit today and last night. I had it dropped off last night and STILL cannot get the starter to engage the motor and crank the bike up.

It was running great sunday but here is what happens now that I have it:

I press the start button. The starter just spins freely until it winds down. Nothing happens at all in the motor.

This annoys me because I bought this bike not expecting to have to work on it already...I already own an '84 V65 magna that I have down right now to work on.

Anyways here's what I've done so far: drained the oil and refilled with 5w30 and a quart of marvel mystery oil to clean any gunk out. I tried the starter again after that and it still isn't working. Does it need to sit to push the thick oil out of the starter clutch rollers? How do I get this thing to catch and turn the engine over? All I could think to do at the moment was shake the bike real good with the MMO and fresh oil in it and hoped that a day of sitting would push the thick oil out but I'm at a loss.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-26-2013, 01:48 AM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
MMO will work, but slowly.

Seafoam will work faster, not sure I would want to mix the two though.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-26-2013, 02:02 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgl1500 View Post
MMO will work, but slowly.

Seafoam will work faster, not sure I would want to mix the two though.
Been doing a lot of research, apparently it's rust that causes the sticking?

This is probably a horrible idea but would evaporust work? I have like 3 gallons of once-used evaporust laying around. I could drain the oil and fill it up enough to cover the sprag clutch and let it sit for a day or two and drain it again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-26-2013, 02:19 AM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
I don't think I would put that in the crankcase.
Just might be real bad news for the moving parts.

~ John

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-26-2013, 02:25 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgl1500 View Post
I don't think I would put that in the crankcase.
Just might be real bad news for the moving parts.
Yeah that's what I was thinking too. If the MMO and then seafoam doesn't work then I'll just have to pull the engine I suppose. I think someone's actually had the rear cover off in the past due to the non-factory looking gasket.

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-26-2013, 03:29 AM

Location: Bedford (Halifax Regional Municipality), Nova Scotia, Canada
Year: 2000
Model: SE 1500
If I read correctly after you changed the oil and added the MMO you did not push start it. Is that correct? If not you will have to do just that and drive it gently for a hundred miles or so to get the crud loosened up around the starter clutch.( GENTLY because of the MMO and the thin 5w30 oil ) Then change the oil and filter while it is hot (10-40 is recommended.) If the treatment works you are all set. If not you will have to remove the engine and take off the back cover. Now you will be able to access the starter clutch, clean it up and replace the 3 rollers 3pins and 3 springs. Sometimes the roller sliding area of the clutch body is actually etched by the rollers and they will not slide.. I have had good luck in the past using fine paper and oil to dress those surfaces so that the rollers will slide again. If that does not work then you will have to replace the starter clutch main body along with rollers, pins and springs.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-26-2013, 03:29 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Oh, one other thing. If it's the starter clutch slipping does it make any other sounds? Mine literally just sounds as if I was spinning the motor on the bench, sounds like nothing but the starter motor itself. How would I know if the motor was engaging the clutch properly or not? if a new starter would fix the problem that'd be great but I don't want to order one without knowing for sure.

And no, I didn't push start it - I haven't been able to do that myself. Tried popping it into first while holding the start button down or just rolling it in gear but I can't get it to do anything...and I'm not the biggest guy around so I can barely get the thing to roll myself so I don't understand how I could possibly bump start it.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-26-2013, 03:42 AM

Location: Bedford (Halifax Regional Municipality), Nova Scotia, Canada
Year: 2000
Model: SE 1500
Here are pictures of a damaged starter clutch so you can see exactly what I am talking about
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 005.jpg (218.7 KB, 32 views)
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-26-2013, 03:59 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLGREZMONKI View Post
Here are pictures of a damaged starter clutch so you can see exactly what I am talking about
Yeah that one looks pretty bad
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-26-2013, 06:38 AM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Usually if you just keep trying the starter it will eventually engage the start clutch. I had an 1100 that was bad about that and I would just hold the button in until it caught, usually in 10 seconds or less. After putting several miles on it after fresh oil in it the starter would engage every time. The start clutch is way high in the case so it has to be ran to get oil to it.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page