Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

spare amperage on 85 1200 Aspy

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Wingunner 
#1 ·
Okay the last time I rode I froze my b*** off. I had on foul weather riding gear and poly pro. Other riders had heated vest and glove liners. Firstgear has heated vest and glove liner, it takes 9.5 amps. Can I run extra amps with my stator and charging system?

Cold and wet in Washington state and would like to know.

Thanks

#2 ·
Stators put out maximum amperage all the time.

If it is not used by the system, the regulator shunts it to ground. Therefore, the excess is wasted and the regulator gets hot.

IF you put more load on the system than the stator can supply, the effect will be to discharge the battery.

Install a good voltmeter and watch to see what happens. Turn on your heated vest, or gloves, individually and see how that effects the battery voltage.

If you are cruising at highway speeds, the battery should be at 13.6 or higher depending on temperature. When cold, or first started, the regulator should allow the battery to charge up to about 14.3+ volts. As the engine/stator/regulator warm up the voltage will decrease down to about 13.6 IF the stator is turning fast enough to produce maximum output.

As the stator RPM decreases the available current produced will drop. As you ride your bike and watch the voltmeter, you will become accustomed to how the system performs in "normal conditions".

#3 ·
9.5 amps is right at the limit of what you could run if you keep the RPMs up to 3K or more and are not running any extra lighting. Of course you probably wouldn't be running them at full hot all the time so it would probably be OK if you have a volt meter and keep an eye on it.

#4 ·
If you pull everything else and run direct from the battery through heavier wire and a dedicated fuse it will work OK, but you must keep the rpm's up the entire time, plus keep a close eye on the voltage charging and left in the battery. Alternatively if you did the alternator conversion you would have all the electrical power you could ever want even at idle.

#5 ·
Okay thanks to everybody for replying with your information and advice.

So I need to install a voltmeter and keep an eye on it plus keep rpm's up, got it.

Thank you,

Hondaow

#6 · (Edited)
just a somewhat related question....

I looked around some and have not found the specs for the output on the 1200 electrical system. Can anyone point me to the figures involved if everything is working correctly?

I see the information on the voltage output, and my 1200 seems to do well there. I think I'm after the amperage output. I apologize for the lack of conciseness, but electricity is not my first language.

dis-regard....I found some starting information. Not specific to my 87, but it said 1200A. It listed the output at 360 watts @ 5000 rpm.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.