GL1200 will not start - no spark @ plugs - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-04-2014, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

Model: GL1200A
Cool GL1200 will not start - no spark @ plugs

1984 GL1200A: @85k miles - I would like to know the order in which I can locate my firing problem.

I rode home one afternoon it started to miss like bad gas was first thought. Changed filter and plugs took it for a spin and same poor running condition after about a mile....still warming up.....I sat for couple minutes it fired right back up so turned it around , rode @100 yards and stopped running again - sat for a couple minutes again it started and run another 100 yards. Third attempt was total failure and has not fired since. Most recently most of after market wired in items have been eliminated ( trailer plugs ) all connectors have been spray cleaned and any cracked wires repaired. Turns over perfectly just will not fire up. Please advise of process to locate which parts need replaced.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-04-2014, 04:41 PM
Honda Guru

Year: 1988
Make: Honda GoldWing
Model: 88 GL1500
That sure sounds like a Pulse Generator

Ray
88 GL1500
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-04-2014, 04:41 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
Welcome to the forum.
Sure sounds like a pulse gen problem.
Since it's an '84, it won't be easy to find out.
Check for current going into the coils. Hopefully, one of the smart guys will chime in with some easier tests than pulling the engine.

Why ain't we ridin'?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-04-2014, 06:54 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
As Dennis (or was it bike?) mentioned check for power to the coils, could be the kill switch gone bad. Then check the 4 pin connector in front of the battery, are the pins clean and fit tight? If you could get to the PG housing I have a sure fire test for them but since you can't easily you just have to use an ohm meter to check them. Do you have a manual?

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-04-2014, 07:28 PM
Honda Guru

Year: 1988
Make: Honda GoldWing
Model: 88 GL1500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveO430 View Post
As Dennis (or was it bike?) mentioned check for power to the coils, could be the kill switch gone bad. Then check the 4 pin connector in front of the battery, are the pins clean and fit tight? If you could get to the PG housing I have a sure fire test for them but since you can't easily you just have to use an ohm meter to check them. Do you have a manual?
Are you talking about the AC output 0.1 - 0.3 volts? I discussed this test some years ago but everybody seems to be locked into ohms. You've probably seen PG's that showed good on the ohms test but still had ZERO voltage output. I've seen a few… not a lot but when you spend a lot of time trying to diagnose a 'no spark' problem and find the PG tests OK with the resistance test it's real annoying!! I wish Honda would include this voltage output test in their manuals…. because resistance tests aren't valid.

Ray
88 GL1500
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 05:21 AM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayworx View Post
Are you talking about the AC output 0.1 - 0.3 volts? I discussed this test some years ago but everybody seems to be locked into ohms. You've probably seen PG's that showed good on the ohms test but still had ZERO voltage output. I've seen a few… not a lot but when you spend a lot of time trying to diagnose a 'no spark' problem and find the PG tests OK with the resistance test it's real annoying!! I wish Honda would include this voltage output test in their manuals…. because resistance tests aren't valid.

That is the best way to go but if you can get close to the PGs with a soldering gun it will cause them to put out voltage without cranking the engine. With the plugs out and connected to the wires they will fire like crazy, provided everything else is good. I don't have much faith in ohm tests either.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

Model: GL1200A
Thank you for the quick response. I will check coils. If pulse generator is the culprit and the engine has to be taken out of frame, does it not make sense to replace other components ? Please share what path makes most sense. Should this bike be parted out or refurbished as buying another bike is not in the immediate forecast.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page