Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tach reading high, Myth, Legend, or BS?

799 views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  DBohrer 
#1 ·
The tach on my "new" '99 SE is reading high. I've dug around and I cannot seem to find a definitive answer.

Is the tach bad, or is there a bad resistor in the circuit that I can replace?

#3 ·
What makes you feel it's running high? Have you measured to a digital external tach?

#7 ·
It's been my experience that a majority of the vehicles I have owned or operated had a sweet spot between 2.5k and 3k RPM, and interestingly enough, that sweet spot tends to correspond to most posted US speed limits, ie, 1st gear at 2500 RPM = 25 mph, 2nd gear is 35, 3rd gear is 45, 4th gear is 55, 5th gear is 65 mph. Today I was running 65 mph in 5th with an indicated 6+K RPM, and the engine was happy as a clam...

#5 ·
Well, for starters, there ain't no way this engine is turning 6 grand at 65 MPH. 3 grand or there abouts would be more like it, but it danged sure ain't 6. For another thing, I can't get this thing to idle below an indicated 1K RPM, and it seems happy at about 1.6K, which is almost exactly twice the recommended idle RPM. There for, this tach is indicating twice the actual engine RPM.

What really surprises me is after all of the searching I've done, this seems to be a fairly common problem but I have yet to find a definitive answer. One guy thought it was the tach, another said something about a tach driver, somebody else said it was a bad resistor, and some Einstein said it was a coolant level issue (Yeah right, and I've got this bridge for sale....).

So, is the tach toast, or what?

#6 ·
I haven't seen any others posts on that but it is definitely not correct in that reading for sure.
I don't know the answer to your problem.
I do have a black set of gages from a 97. I might have a 99 white tach. I'll check tomorrow.

#9 ·
I just looked, and my '99 has black gauges. Is this an indication of a dash/gauge replacement?

#11 ·
98 & 99 were the only years with white. 2000 Honda went back to black because people were complaining about not being able to see the gauges at night well.
Have you checked the vin plate on the steering neck to verify you have a 99 model yr?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.