GL1100. Stupid is as stupid does - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 04:22 AM Thread Starter

Model: 3X 1976 GL 1000's 2X 1977 GL1000, 1981 GL1100
Garage
GL1100. Stupid is as stupid does

I am not in the habit of flaying myself in a forum of like minded, yet unknown, individuals however I feel I must if only to purge my rank stupidity in approaching a mechanical problem about which I have huffed on about laboriously on 2 websites.
All the engine building experience inthe world cannot help you if you don't recognize an obvious f**kup. I didn't.
I had replaced the head gaskets and done a valve job on my GL1100 sidecar rig and was complaining long and loud about knocking, synchronizing etc... Those problems were solved by using the correct spark plugs and actually checking the flow through the air filter (there wasn't any).
Now that the beast was running very smoothly, although smokey on startup, I smelled coolant and the level in the catch tank dropped. I deduced I had screwed up the head gaskets and decided to try a sealant as these items are pricey in Europe.
I got everything going, put the minimum amount of sealant in the system and let it idle. It was burbling away happily for 45 minutes when I noticed the catch tank filling. It then started pouring coolant out the drain hose replicating a blown head gasket pressurizing the cooling system.
Then I noticed what was wrong: the PO, who sold me the bike because of a blown head gasket, had put the hoses on the wrong fittings on the catch tank. The radiator cap was doing it's job of evacuating excess pressure in the form of vapor, which was pressurising the tank and forcing liquid out the drain hose. I inverted the hoses, the catch tank began draining back into the radiator and the world is once again safe for democracy.
I post this self humiliation to warn all those who think they might have a major problem with their motors that could be caused by a simple oversight.:wtf: Thanks for your attention; you may now go back to more interesting posts.
Cheers,
Zaphod

Writing roughshod over the English language
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 05:20 AM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Yes, everyone needs to smite themselves once in a while, and own up to it.

My question is ,since when is Maine in Europe?

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 05:57 AM

Model: GL1100
Don't feel bad. The other day my father in law calls me to ask if I could help him get his scooter running, he had been messing with it for 2 days and couldn't get it to fire up. I ended up playing with it for an hour with no luck until I decided to take a closer look at the handlebars and noticed a switch with odd symbols just above the starter button and that made me go "hhmmmm". There was nothing that clearly said on/off like the kill switch on our right hand controls, just strange symbols so just for kicks I moved it to it's middle position ....... and it fired right up when I hit the starter button. DOH!!. I was pissed at myself that it took me an hour to think of it because it's normally the first thing I check and my father in law was thoroughly embarrassed with himself because he didn't think of it at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 06:41 AM

Garage
Clearly he is situated in tha main part of Europe-he just misspelled...

"Try to open your mouth a little WIDER when you speak..."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 06:57 AM

Year: '95
Make: GL1500SE
Model: '86 Gl1200 Sold
My friend who runs a shop said that in the past month he has some customers come back complaining about his work, the quads or bike would not run. All of them he was able to get running real quick. 2 of them was just like what JSbail had done, the on/off switch was in the "off" position. Then he had one that didn't have any gas. The rest was real simple things also. Must be a full moon.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 08:02 AM
Trike Master

Model: 06 levelIII/Hannigan
Good thing I've never done anything like that, AHHH wait a minute, yes I have..............Never mind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 12:32 PM

Model: Slightly less than before.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GL1200VirginiaUSA View Post
I also was curious when they moved Maine across the Atlantic. No wonder I didn't do too well in geography.
Forget Global Warming, it's Continental Drift that's the real problem!!

Rayjoe

I've learned so much from my mistakes, I'm thinking about making a few more.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 12:46 PM

Year: 2003
Model: GL1800
Send a message via Yahoo to wexy
his IP address is in France

CIARAN (pronounced Keeron)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
yes it is Gaelic

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 12:54 PM

Year: 1997
Make: Honda
Model: 1997 GL1500SE
Phavas - very eloquently written post, indeed! As for the nature of your post, well, none of us who have ever done mechanical repairs to any extent have avoided such self-induced face-palm moments. I've been wrist-crankin' and wrench-turnin' for lo, these past four and a half decades, yet I still fall prey to my own internal, infernal assumptions while working on machines, blinded by them, unable to see my own most obvious blunders.

When we share our mistakes, we all, as a community of sorts, profit by the knowledge and are enriched by it.

I thank you, sir!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 12:59 PM

Year: 2001
Make: Harley Davidson
Model: ULTRA CLASSIC ELECTRA GLIDE - EFI
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to tfwarner23
that kill switch has gotten me once

Thomas

OPMC - Our Place Motorcycle Club
ABATE of ND - Board of Director
"Lets Ride Together"
GWRRA - Capital Wing Riders, Chapter C

2001 HARLEY DAVIDSON ULTRA CLASSIC ELECTRA GLIDE - EFI
1995 GL1500SE

Previous Owned
1984 GL1200I
1979 Yamaha 650 Special II
1981 Yamaha XV920R
1984 Suzuki GS1100GKE
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page