94 1500 leaking coolant above the timing belts only when hot - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-26-2014, 11:53 PM Thread Starter

Model: Goldwing 1500 Aspencade
94 1500 leaking coolant above the timing belts only when hot

Guys,

The wing is leaking from above the timing belt cover, seemingly onto the top of the left rad, and only when we get to 3/4 heat.

Also, she's idling warm in traffic, and so when she does leak, its a steady splatter/spray of the fluid.

dislodged the rads to see behind, but i'm not seeing anything from there.

Am i losing my thermostat or what here?

thanks,

Kyle & Sandra
Old Guy & the Troubadour

1500 Aspy w/ Tiny Mate pop up trailer
Pearl Atlantis Blue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-27-2014, 12:58 AM

Model: 1995 GL1500 Aspencade, 1985 GL1200 Aspencade, 1983 GL1100 Standard with Vetter Windjammer fairing.
Sure your radiator cap isn't "burping?" Normally when coolant is on top of an engine, I think highest place first = radiator cap; then upper radiator clamp/hose, coolant overflow tank leaking, then engine coolant tubes, and eventually lower stuff.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-27-2014, 10:35 AM

Model: GL1500, GL1800
Quote:
Originally Posted by We ride... View Post
...leaking from above the timing belt cover, seemingly onto the top of the left rad, and only when we get to 3/4 heat.

Also, she's idling warm in traffic, and so when she does leak, its a steady splatter/spray of the fluid....
Sounds like the hose has come off the Top of your Thermostat, which is a common problem. Look carefully at the large Y-shaped hose coming off the top... notice that it should be full seated against some Stops molded onto the neck of the thermostat... if not, then the hose may have slid upwards, at which point it will leak whenever the thermostat opens (at high temps). Simply loosen the hose clamp, slide the hose back down, then re-tighten.

-You'll have to remove at least one fan to access the thermostat.
-When it leaks, and bike is on side stand, the leak will end up on lower left corner of timing belt cover.
-Before reattaching the hose, verify that there is no Clear Tape on the neck of the thermostate... If there is, then remove it. The tape is common, on some 1500's, to all the hose joints to the radiator too... it causes the hoses to slide off, leak.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I void warranties

KJ6QFZ
Dark Side #590

GL1500, 1990SE, 220k miles
Front: Bridgestone Battlax BT45, 41psi
Rear: Austone 175R16, 50psi

GL1800, 2003, 60K miles [following virginity reconstruction]
Rear: Pirelli Winter Snowcontrol Series3, Run Flat, 41 psi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-27-2014, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

thanks Alex and Cornpone...

the bike is centered on a hoist and the cap doesnt appear to be burping it out when we're testing it. To clarify, a small dribble falls on the left side of the timing belt ĉover, then shortly thereafter, its dumping left and right.
I shall pull the fan and look in from the left side.

Of course, we cant see the bottom of the reservoir, with it in place, and i wonder if by pulling the reservoir tank to investigate, i'll simply negate the right conditions for it to leak. What is the best approach to inspecting the res tank and upper hoses?

thanks

Kyle & Sandra
Old Guy & the Troubadour

Pearl Atlantis Blue

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-28-2014, 12:43 AM Thread Starter

you called it, Alex. Top hose on the thermostat. Clamp had rusted through.
Cut away that goofy tape and replaced all the clamps with ss.
Thanks again.

Kyle & Sandra
Old Guy & the Troubadour

Pearl Atlantis Blue

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2014, 09:39 AM

Year: 1994
Make: Honda
Model: GL1500 SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by We ride... View Post
you called it, Alex. Top hose on the thermostat. Clamp had rusted through.
Cut away that goofy tape and replaced all the clamps with ss.
Thanks again.
Curious as to how you saw/accessed it easily? I am having damn near the exact same problem on my 94 SE. I did notice that the grommet is cracked for the elbow in the overflow tank also.

1994 GL1500SE with CycleMate trailer
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2014, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingEMT View Post
Curious as to how you saw/accessed it easily? I am having damn near the exact same problem on my 94 SE...
With either of the fans removed, you can readily view any leak coming from the thermostat (Which tends to appear when the engine warms up about half-way, at the time the thermostat opens, sending water upwards into the Y-shaped rubber hose above it)

I void warranties

KJ6QFZ
Dark Side #590

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2014, 11:52 AM

Thanks much for the quick response. I didn't know if I needed to remove a fan to see it. Or if so, which side? Thanks much.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2014, 11:59 AM

Quick follow up question.
If that is not the cause of my leak, are all of the smaller coolant and vacuum lines accessible from the sides where the fans are removed? Should I drain the coolant and remove the radiators regardless to get them out of the way? I am trying to disassemble as little as possible. I do have a new Beck Arnley thermostat and gasket on hand.
Thanks again. All of your wisdom is appreciated.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2014, 07:04 PM

Quote:
I didn't know if I needed to remove a fan to see it. Or if so, which side?...
Either Fan will give you visable access to the thermostat, in order to discern a leak. If a leak is present, then you'll have to access the Screw Head on the hose clamp (to the Y-hose)... If you're lucky, then you can access it from whatever side (fan) you just removed, otherwise you'll have to remove the other fan as well.
Hint: The right side fan is easier to remove than left side.
Hint: When reinstalling fan, Ok to leave out the upper-rear-most screw... it's not needed, and makes future removal/installation easier; also helps to replace the remaining screw/s with (SHCS)Socket Head Cap Screws, which can very/more easily be turned with an ball-end allen head wrench.

Quote:
...If that is not the cause of my leak, are all of the smaller coolant and vacuum lines accessible from the sides where the fans are removed? Should I drain the coolant and remove the radiators regardless to get them out of the way?...
No, some of the coolant lines are beneath the carb, requiring removal of the carb. That said, the typical leaks are from the joints to the Thermostat and radiators, due to presence of "clear tape" on the mating surfaces for the hoses.
No, most all the vacuum lines are beneath the carb, and under the left intake manifold. You won't see any more/less of them by removing the fan/s
No need to remove the radiator for this first step of Finding the Leak... With one or both fans removed, you will have very good visual on many coolent hoses.

I void warranties

KJ6QFZ
Dark Side #590

Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page