GL1500 need help wiring a delay relay to HID's - Page 2 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

3Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-06-2014, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Unofficial Youtube Addict

Year: 1991
Make: Honda
Model: 1991 Goldwing SE Anniversary Edition
Garage
Just 1 last question. I'm stopping to pick up supplies tonite (either wallyworld or advanced auto). What gauge wire do I need to tie into the headlight harness wiring? 14ga? tia!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-06-2014, 02:48 PM

Year: 1999
Make: GL1500 SE
At 30 amps #14 is very adequate. Look at the attached chart. I bet the bike has #16 or #18 but just a guess.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (73.2 KB, 17 views)
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-06-2014, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Unofficial Youtube Addict

Year: 1991
Model: 1991 Goldwing SE Anniversary Edition
Garage
Thats awesome thanks again!

"riding is good therapy"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 08:24 AM
Professional Curmudgeon

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 ABS
Garage
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Myers View Post
I would pick up the relay signal at the alternator. If it isn't charging then the HID is not active. Would solve the problem for guys with the plasma lights too, once they fire if there is a significant voltage drop(starter motor) they will not restart.
We bought two of the timed relays. One for my Goldwing & one for my Brothers. But we have little wiring knowledge. And with me being color blind makes the task a touch more difficult. Could someone please walk us through the wiring of the timed relay connections to the HID lights & alternator so the lights only come on once the bike is started?
Thanks in advance.
Dave in Colorado..

God gave his Arch Angels weapons because even the Almighty knew you don't fight evil with tolerance & understanding.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 09:12 AM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Myers View Post
I would pick up the relay signal at the alternator. If it isn't charging then the HID is not active. Would solve the problem for guys with the plasma lights too, once they fire if there is a significant voltage drop(starter motor) they will not restart.
If you think about it,
This is a not good point for the 12V source for the HID ballast.

The output lead of an alternator goes direct to the battery all the time, key on, or key off. It only outputs power when the engine is running, that is true, but the lead itself always has battery power on it. ( reverse blocking diodes are inside the alternator )

On my bike, DaveO430's bike, and Lopeha's bike, Dave used the oil pressure switch signal to ground as the switching point. The delay relay is "hot" all the time, you just interrupt the Ground Signal instead.

The idea is, you do not want the ballast to fire up unless the engine is running.

Another source for the Delay Relay would be the Accessory switch block. That is only on IF the key switch is turned on. But, this has a problem if you don't actually try to start the bike.... the HID will be turned on at the time out period anyway, regardless of whether the engine is running.

IMO, as an electronics background person of 50+ years, you want a switching point that is operated by Oil Pressure.

This negates all of the bad places to hookup the power. You get the 12V + direct from the battery thru a fused wire ( close to battery ).

The switch lead is the ground signal from the oil pressure switch.

You definitely do NOT want to source the +12V power lead from the OEM headlight switch, as that is pulsed with the START button....
tire joe and Mr Magic Fingers like this.
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 10:19 AM
Professional Curmudgeon

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgl1800 View Post
If you think about it,
This is a not good point for the 12V source for the HID ballast.

The output lead of an alternator goes direct to the battery all the time, key on, or key off. It only outputs power when the engine is running, that is true, but the lead itself always has battery power on it. ( reverse blocking diodes are inside the alternator )

On my bike, DaveO430's bike, and Lopeha's bike, Dave used the oil pressure switch signal to ground as the switching point. The delay relay is "hot" all the time, you just interrupt the Ground Signal instead.

The idea is, you do not want the ballast to fire up unless the engine is running.

Another source for the Delay Relay would be the Accessory switch block. That is only on IF the key switch is turned on. But, this has a problem if you don't actually try to start the bike.... the HID will be turned on at the time out period anyway, regardless of whether the engine is running.

IMO, as an electronics background person of 50+ years, you want a switching point that is operated by Oil Pressure.

This negates all of the bad places to hookup the power. You get the 12V + direct from the battery thru a fused wire ( close to battery ).

The switch lead is the ground signal from the oil pressure switch.

You definitely do NOT want to source the +12V power lead from the OEM headlight switch, as that is pulsed with the START button....
Thanks for your response and expertise on this. Could you please tell me exactly how to and where to make the connections on the timed relay and the GL1500 for it to work off the oil pressure switch.
Thanks again.

This is the timed relay we are using.

http://www.retro-solutions.net/produ...ay-pid602.html

God gave his Arch Angels weapons because even the Almighty knew you don't fight evil with tolerance & understanding.
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 11:27 AM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
What Dave did, was to use a separate relay that is connected from 12V+ on the hot side,
and to the Oil Pressure switch on the ground side. This was on our 1800s, so I do not have direct info for the 1500s.

However, both use an oil pressure switch in the same manner. The Oil Pressure switch is already grounded by virtue of being installed in the engine block. The single wire is from the contact that is closed to ground.

The relay controlled by the oil pressure switch turns on the power to the HID ballasts on our bikes.

This totally negates the need for a Time Delay Relay, as the oil pressure is "your time delay feature". ( I can leave my key turned ON all day, but the HIDs will not turn on until the engine starts.)

This gives an added benefit IMO, the Low Beam HID is always ON if the engine is running.
So, when I switch on the High Beams they are both ON.... this really wakes up the dum dum dolts in front of you.

Over the last 5,000 miles there has not been one driver attempt to pull out in front of me at an intersection, nor has there been any drivers attempt to make a left turn in front of me from an oncoming situation. And yes, I have witnessed many such scenarios where they started to do the Left Turn and suddenly stopped, and also on one occasion, I saw a car pull out from a Weed Infested intersection and then suddenly the front bumper dipped way down.

I attribute all of the above to the much increased Light Visibility of the HID lights along with me also running the High Beams ON all the time.

I have never had anyone complain to me, flashing light? nope,
a LEO? nope

So, IMO, the HIDs are a valuable asset to our Stay Alive Arsenal.

Now, with the newer LED headlights coming on.... oh yes, very nice. But they weren't available when Dave and I did our modifications.
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 11:49 AM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgl1800 View Post
What Dave did, was to use a separate relay that is connected from 12V+ on the hot side,
and to the Oil Pressure switch on the ground side. This was on our 1800s, so I do not have direct info for the 1500s.

However, both use an oil pressure switch in the same manner. The Oil Pressure switch is already grounded by virtue of being installed in the engine block. The single wire is from the contact that is closed to ground.

The relay controlled by the oil pressure switch turns on the power to the HID ballasts on our bikes.

This totally negates the need for a Time Delay Relay, as the oil pressure is "your time delay feature". ( I can leave my key turned ON all day, but the HIDs will not turn on until the engine starts.)

An 1800 is a whole different thing, it has a relay already activated by the oil pressure switch, the 1500 does not. On an 1800 all you have to do is connect the coil of the low beam relay to the output of the headlight adjust relay and it's done. On a 1500 you almost have to add 2 relays to get the same job done.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 11:57 AM
Professional Curmudgeon

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveO430 View Post
An 1800 is a whole different thing, it has a relay already activated by the oil pressure switch, the 1500 does not. On an 1800 all you have to do is connect the coil of the low beam relay to the output of the headlight adjust relay and it's done. On a 1500 you almost have to add 2 relays to get the same job done.
Thanks for your input.

Could you please tell me how to wire the HID relays to the oil pressure switch for a GL1500?

post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 12:20 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
This should do it, unless I missed something. Your kit should have the wire coming from the battery + so all you have to do is wire the relays into it. I may have to translate the writing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HID delay relay0002.jpg (89.1 KB, 16 views)

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page