GL1500 need help wiring a delay relay to HID's - Page 3 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

 3Likes
Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 12:32 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator
 
AZgl1800's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Oologah, Indian Territory, USA...
Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Posts: 57,147
Garage
Dave,

Actually all he needs is Relay #2 by itself.

It does not matter that #30 and #85 are "always hot to battery", and there won't be a ground source UNTIL the oil pressure switch "makes to ground".

And that will never happen unless the engine starts and runs.
AZgl1800 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 02:50 PM
mod-erator
 
DaveO430's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Amity, Arkansas, USA
Model: 2010 GL1800
Posts: 24,199
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgl1800 View Post
Dave,

Actually all he needs is Relay #2 by itself.

It does not matter that #30 and #85 are "always hot to battery", and there won't be a ground source UNTIL the oil pressure switch "makes to ground".

And that will never happen unless the engine starts and runs.
No, the opposite is true, the oil pressure switch is grounded when there is no oil pressure.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.


NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
DaveO430 is offline  
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 03:57 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator
 
AZgl1800's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Oologah, Indian Territory, USA...
Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Posts: 57,147
Garage
Duh, you got me there Dave

Twas I that didn't think that one through.
AZgl1800 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 04:14 PM
Professional Curmudgeon
 
Davek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Dacono, Colorado, USA
Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 ABS
Posts: 112
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveO430 View Post
This should do it, unless I missed something. Your kit should have the wire coming from the battery + so all you have to do is wire the relays into it. I may have to translate the writing.
So does that mean the the #87 on the 2nd relay goes to the ground on the HID lights? Or the positive wire for the HID lights?
Sorry, I'm not good at this.

God gave his Arch Angels weapons because even the Almighty knew you don't fight evil with tolerance & understanding.
Davek is offline  
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 04:39 PM
mod-erator
 
DaveO430's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Amity, Arkansas, USA
Model: 2010 GL1800
Posts: 24,199
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davek View Post
So does that mean the the #87 on the 2nd relay goes to the ground on the HID lights? Or the positive wire for the HID lights?
Sorry, I'm not good at this.
That's 87A, goes to the + to the HIDs.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.


NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
DaveO430 is offline  
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 04:59 PM
Professional Curmudgeon
 
Davek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Dacono, Colorado, USA
Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 ABS
Posts: 112
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveO430 View Post
That's 87A, goes to the + to the HIDs.
Thank You!


God gave his Arch Angels weapons because even the Almighty knew you don't fight evil with tolerance & understanding.
Davek is offline  
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 05:26 PM
Professional Curmudgeon
 
Davek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Dacono, Colorado, USA
Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 ABS
Posts: 112
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happytrails View Post
I threw together a rough diagram to show what I was thinking. Let me know if this will work. Thanks.

If you have time could you make this into a diagram with the 2nd relay 87A going to the + of the HID lights? I think it would help a lot of the users here.
Thanks in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HID delay relay0002_diagram.jpg (89.1 KB, 5 views)

God gave his Arch Angels weapons because even the Almighty knew you don't fight evil with tolerance & understanding.
Davek is offline  
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 05:56 PM
Senior Member
 
Silverado6x6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Wasilla, Alaska and Adelaide,South Australia
Year: many years, two different continents.
Model: 2035 GL3500 Intercontinental
Posts: 2,010
Garage
With the newest LED bulbs available i'm rethinking about converting AWAY from HID, The failure rates of the hid kits are so bad its 50%, thats at least one bad ballast in each kit. Usually its the slim ballast. Those Pathfinder led bulbs look very promising. They use flexible woven mesh straps for heatsinks instead of the big chunks of heatsinks, better to fit in a confined space, plus an led bulb can be restarted immediately, and modulated, hids cannot be modulated.

After i just posted this i bought these to test out.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/152056235707...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Silverado6x6 is offline  
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-02-2016, 11:52 AM
Professional Curmudgeon
 
Davek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Dacono, Colorado, USA
Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 ABS
Posts: 112
Garage
I'm no expert and just trying to make sure I understand it correctly.
Please look at this PDF I made and tell me if I have it wired correctly.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf GL1500 HID Headlight Delay using Oil Pressure Relay Activation.pdf (30.7 KB, 20 views)

God gave his Arch Angels weapons because even the Almighty knew you don't fight evil with tolerance & understanding.
Davek is offline  
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-02-2016, 04:00 PM
mod-erator
 
DaveO430's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Amity, Arkansas, USA
Model: 2010 GL1800
Posts: 24,199
Garage
Great, way better job than I did. I saved it for future use.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.


NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
DaveO430 is offline  
Closed Thread

  Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Time Delay Relay for HID Headlights, GL1500 Knob Goldwing Technical Forum 2 03-08-2014 09:37 AM
I give up GL1500 HID light wiring wing in atlanta Goldwing Technical Forum 24 10-27-2013 09:55 AM
GL1500 Relay 3 burnt wiring fordf3truck Goldwing Technical Forum 1 07-24-2013 04:16 PM
Cruise switch delay GL1500 [email protected] Goldwing Technical Forum 3 11-26-2012 10:14 PM
GL1500 relay wiring ginger68 Goldwing Technical Forum 4 07-14-2012 09:02 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome