Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/)
-   Goldwing Technical Forum (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/)
-   -   GL1500 need help wiring a delay relay to HID's (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/525346-gl1500-need-help-wiring-delay-relay-hids.html)

Happytrails 08-05-2014 05:55 AM

GL1500 need help wiring a delay relay to HID's

I recently installed HID's on my bike and really love them. I bought a delay relay for it (10 sec. delay) and now I just need to wire it in. I thought I had a grasp of what I am supposed to do but googling it just confused me. I'm guessing relays are very flexible. I've never installed one before.

Anyways I came across this photo by wingsconsin and it seemed similar to what I'm trying to do only I'm not using a switch to control the circuits. I just want the delay for the HID's. Could use some help though to make sure I understand what I'm supposed to do. Here is the photo I found from wingsconsin.

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/c...tsaddition.jpg

I'd like to install this relay so I alter the factory harness as little as possible so everything can be put back to original if desired. I am figuring the way to do the least altering is tap in after the oem connector to the headlight harness. Does this make sense?

a) So should I cut the factory headlight harness then connect that positive lead (from the ignition switch side) to #30?
b) And on the headlight harness connect that positive lead (that goes to the HIDs) to the #87?
c) And then can I connect the same positive lead to #86 as I connected to #30? It just needs switched power right?
d) And then finally connect #85 to a switched ground? Can I tap into the factory harness to the same ground that goes to the headlights?
e) or am I completely off?

p.s. what is the 87A circuit for?

Happytrails 08-05-2014 08:49 AM

Happytrails 08-05-2014 12:25 PM

I threw together a rough diagram to show what I was thinking. Let me know if this will work. Thanks.

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s...psb63cf7e2.jpg

redwing52 08-05-2014 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happytrails (Post 3464082)
I recently installed HID's on my bike and really love them. I bought a delay relay for it (10 sec. delay) and now I just need to wire it in. I thought I had a grasp of what I am supposed to do but googling it just confused me. I'm guessing relays are very flexible. I've never installed one before.

Anyways I came across this photo by wingsconsin and it seemed similar to what I'm trying to do only I'm not using a switch to control the circuits. I just want the delay for the HID's. Could use some help though to make sure I understand what I'm supposed to do. Here is the photo I found from wingsconsin.

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/c...tsaddition.jpg

I'd like to install this relay so I alter the factory harness as little as possible so everything can be put back to original if desired. I am figuring the way to do the least altering is tap in after the oem connector to the headlight harness. Does this make sense?

a) So should I cut the factory headlight harness then connect that positive lead (from the ignition switch side) to #30?
I would add a fuse at the battery and run a dedicated line to 30..
b) And on the headlight harness connect that positive lead (that goes to the HIDs) to the #87?
87 is the terminal that would go from the relay to the headlights to light them. It is a normally open terminal. 87A is the same But it is normally closed. you would use 87 the normally open.
c) And then can I connect the same positive lead to #86 as I connected to #30? It just needs switched power right?
See below
d) And then finally connect #85 to a switched ground? Can I tap into the factory harness to the same ground that goes to the headlights?
See below
e) or am I completely off?

p.s. what is the 87A circuit for?

Ok, to be more generic I would say this. 85 and 86 trigger the relay. That is turn it off and on only. Either terminal 85 or 86 can be 12 volts but the other must be a ground of course. The load part of the relay travels from 30 to 87A when the relay is off, (NC) or 87 when the relay is turned on. (NO)

I would wire as follows. I would find a wire that is hot with the headlight on. Beware it must be hot in bright or dim and could be a challenge. After that it is easy. Run that wire to 85 or 86. Ground the other to the frame. Now when you turn your lights on the bike the relay turns on so we have to get power to the lights. Bring a fused wire from the battery to 30. Now run a wire from 87 to your fancy new lights. So the sequence of events is that when 12 volts is applied between 85 and 86 that turns in the relay. (think of it as a switch) NOW the switch is closed and the power will flow from the battery to 30. Through the normally open #87 (now closed) terminal and off to your lights. Easy peasy. Hope this helps.

Edit: You got it. Perfect..... You are too fast!! :bow: I might have a question as to how much current the lights draw. Will the fuse stand the load to 30? At worst run a fused wire from a hot (like the battery) to 30 and save the hassle of fuses or worse yet melted wires. Also, is there a switched ground in the bikes circuit? If you have a constant ground (85) and a constant 12 volts (86) it will never shut off. It might be fine as printed. Yours to investigate.

Bob Myers 08-05-2014 01:35 PM

I would pick up the relay signal at the alternator. If it isn't charging then the HID is not active. Would solve the problem for guys with the plasma lights too, once they fire if there is a significant voltage drop(starter motor) they will not restart.

Happytrails 08-05-2014 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redwing52 (Post 3464802)
Edit: You got it. Perfect..... You are too fast!! :bow: I might have a question as to how much current the lights draw. Will the fuse stand the load to 30? At worst run a fused wire from a hot (like the battery) to 30 and save the hassle of fuses or worse yet melted wires. Also, is there a switched ground in the bikes circuit? If you have a constant ground (85) and a constant 12 volts (86) it will never shut off. It might be fine as printed. Yours to investigate.

Thanks. I think the HID's are safe. They were 35watts and supposed to draw less than stock oem halogens. They are connected to the factory wire harness and appear to be working ok.

Just a question. Why would it be a bad idea to wire this into the ground of the factory harness? Or can someone suggest a nice grounding spot up front?

DBohrer 08-05-2014 06:06 PM

Relay/Wiring

Happytrails...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happytrails (Post 3465786)
Thanks. I think the HID's are safe. They were 35watts and supposed to draw less than stock oem halogens. They are connected to the factory wire harness and appear to be working ok.

Just a question. Why would it be a bad idea to wire this into the ground of the factory harness?

I never like removing insulation and splicing into the original wiring, it just creates one more area for corrosion, build up of resistance etc. to occur. One more unnecessary "possible" trouble spot.......!

Or can someone suggest a nice grounding spot up front?

There is an OEM ground point on the radiator (near the thermostatic fan motor switch).

redwing52 08-05-2014 06:49 PM

I didn't mean not to use the existing ground.It is not an issue, I just didn't realize how much knowledge you had and wanted to be sure you understood there had to be a switch somewhere. In your diagram it was just shown as plus and neg. Of course any place you get in the factory harness do a good job but I'm sure you will do that.

Also I have a question. Can you tell me what the name of the product is that you made the electric's diagram? Very nice.

Happytrails 08-05-2014 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DBohrer (Post 3465866)
Happytrails...

There is an OEM ground point on the radiator (near the thermostatic fan motor switch).

Awesome thanks again.

Happytrails 08-05-2014 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redwing52 (Post 3465922)
I didn't mean not to use the existing ground.It is not an issue, I just didn't realize how much knowledge you had and wanted to be sure you understood there had to be a switch somewhere. In your diagram it was just shown as plus and neg. Of course any place you get in the factory harness do a good job but I'm sure you will do that.

Also I have a question. Can you tell me what the name of the product is that you made the electric's diagram? Very nice.

Im not very good electrical but im trying to learn. Sometimes its confusing.

Many thanks to you all for understanding and help thru the rough spots.

I used Autocad for that diagram. I use it everyday so it had become second nature for me. If anybody ever wants anything drawn in CAD just let me know. I can whip up a drawing or template from a sketch or maybe a description.