Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/)
-   Goldwing Technical Forum (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/)
-   -   Performance Mods / more power (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/525890-performance-mods-more-power.html)

85GL1200LTD 08-08-2014 02:41 AM

Performance Mods / more power

Hello all, ive been searching around the web for a little while and im not really finding anything concrete about adding power to the GL1200.
Ive read a little about head swaps, but I still want the machine reliable and from what ive read, they aren't too successful.

So what can one do to get more power out of GL1200? Which coils will work for a hotter burn? Ive looked at a set of Accel universal coils and someone mentioned Dyna coils?

Now mine is a Limited so is there a way of fitting a bigger set of injectors or tuning the "computer"?

Any off the shelf cams?

Id really like to run down my dad on his 1500 Valkyre lol

Thanks!

JeffMayfield 08-08-2014 03:35 AM

Coils for a 1500 are better than stock 1200 coils.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 85GL1200LTD (Post 3471898)
Id really like to run down my dad on his 1500 Valkyre lol

That's not going to happen.

Unless..........some how the the Valkyre had an air intake restriction............but in my book that's cheating.

Fact is with the Valkyre's light weight, larger engine, and smoother transmission gearing..........................

You can however have more fun and maybe ride more than him You do have a better fairing and if you have some wind wings of some type you can ride every where you go. Learn to low speed peg scrape in first gear for a tight U-turn You could out ride the man by learning to be a better rider in full control of your bike.
Yah know "Take possession" "Own" "take full responsibility" I mean just master the bike and ride safer than him. Absolutely no "operator error"

Take some classes to ride better, make your ride funner than his and don't race him to win.

BrianInPA 08-08-2014 08:14 AM

There are mods that you can do that will cause a 1500 to have to chase you... It just depends how much you want to do to your bike.

kaiser_will_1967 08-08-2014 08:39 AM

Upgrade mufflers and jet carbs

One of the best and more affordable mods to add performance to your GL1200 is to replace the stock mufflers with Harley Sportster slip-on mufflers and jet the carbs up one size.

I had a GL1100 with this setup and the upgrade added more HP and more torque. There are 2-3 different Sportster slip-on designs (one design has crossover pipes - this will not work without custom piping).

The pipe OD is the same/similar to the Wing muffler OD.

Search this board and the web...this has been done many times. I love the difference in ride and sound, also. If you stick with stock Sporty mufflers, your bike will not be much louder until you romp on it. Your Harley friends will be impressed by the sound and response.

Right winger 08-08-2014 09:08 AM

Hey I have a swell idea . Just get rid of your LTD and buy a Valkrie

Bike...and Dennis 08-08-2014 01:24 PM

Get an Interstate. It's the weight that make you wait.

BrianInPA 08-08-2014 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bike...and Dennis (Post 3472818)
Get an Interstate. It's the weight that make you wait.

Better yet, get a standard and hold on tight! :cheesygrin:

Bike...and Dennis 08-08-2014 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brianinpa (Post 3473658)
Better yet, get a standard and hold on tight! :cheesygrin:

Yup.

85GL1200LTD 08-08-2014 06:06 PM

Well thanks for the replies, I will try and get my hands on some 1500 coils and Harley pipes and start there.

Has anyone used the Accel coils?

Running down the Valkyre is just a fun idea. ive got fast bikes like the SV1000 and the KZ1000. I don't need a hotrod out of this bike, just wanted a little more juice.

As far out-riding the old man, fat chance. He is an accomplished IBA rider and has run the Hoka Hey on his Harley. I am active duty and have to take all the MSF courses and can drag the pegs at not much more than idle. Im not trying to brag here and I mean no disrespect but I do "own" my bikes and "take full responsibility". Im also a mentor for inexperienced riders. please understand we don't race around being irresponsible, I just want a bit more juice out of the bike. thank you

BrianInPA 08-08-2014 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 85GL1200LTD (Post 3474210)
Well thanks for the replies, I will try and get my hands on some 1500 coils and Harley pipes and start there.

Has anyone used the Accel coils?

Running down the Valkyre is just a fun idea. ive got fast bikes like the SV1000 and the KZ1000. I don't need a hotrod out of this bike, just wanted a little more juice.

As far out-riding the old man, fat chance. He is an accomplished IBA rider and has run the Hoka Hey on his Harley. I am active duty and have to take all the MSF courses and can drag the pegs at not much more than idle. Im not trying to brag here and I mean no disrespect but I do "own" my bikes and "take full responsibility". Im also a mentor for inexperienced riders. please understand we don't race around being irresponsible, I just want a bit more juice out of the bike. thank you

Thank you for doing that thing that you do! :yessir: