Garmin Bluetooth with Sena Headsets? - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
Nobody You Know

Model: 2013 GL-1800
Garmin Bluetooth with Sena Headsets?

I use Sena SMH-10 Bluetooth headsets, which pair with my iPhones without a problem. I can listen to Pandora thru the phone connection, make/take phone calls, or converse with the passenger or other similarly-equipped riders. My older Garmin GPS does not have Bluetooth, but I'm seeing that many of the newer models do. Can someone explain what happens when there's a Bluetooth GPS in the mix? Appears that they pair up with BT headsets and phones like my Sena and can store and play music and even have a Pandora option, but I'm already doing all of that with my current setup. Only thing I can't do is hear GPS directions in the headset since my old GPS is not BT. With the BT GPS, would I pair the GPS to the headset and to the phone instead of pairing the phone directly to the headset like I do now? Thanks.

Ken
2013 GL-1800
1999 CB-750 Nighthawk
1988 GL-1500 (gone but not forgotten)

K 4 D I T
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 10:09 AM

Model: 1998 SE SOLD But Not Forgotten!
A bud and I went on a 2500 mile trip this summer, using SMH-10 headsets. He's a techie and had everything in the world going on his bike all of the time. Time after time the Garmin GPS caused problems with the SMH-10...interfering, interrupting our communications. Very annoying. The Sena unit doesn't interface as well and as easily with multiple gadgets as they would have you believe. If the intercom feature of the SMH-10 between you and a passenger or another rider isn't a factor, then the Garmin should interface with no downside. As to how well the Sena will handle the phone AND GPS at the same time...I'd be skeptical that it would be as seamless as you'd like. My friend had his phone paired as well and the whole thing just seemed to be a cluster.

But that's just my observation from a week of putting up with the delays and aggravation of his trying to get everything to work like he wanted. I'm no expert on the SMH-10, although I think it serves as an intercom, and streams music/audiobooks nicely from my iPhone. I'm happy with it for my purposes. Unlike most people, I don't want the GPS talking to me...I simply look down at the Garmin Nuvi40 and get the info I want visually.

Dan & Jo Ann

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm not superstitious, but let's face it...you'd have to be crazy to ride without a Gremlin Bell!.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-03-2014, 07:34 PM

Model: 1995 Interstate
I learned a lot about these units in short period of time.Spent roughly $760 in lessons too.
For one thing at a time, like either intercom, or music they are great. Try doing those 2 things all at once and it will NOT work. others told me it would. Sena said it would not work, after I bought the set. To listen to music the second(or third) intercom must be "tapped off"via the jog wheel, either of the paired intercoms can bring it back on by "tapping the jog wheel again" and it will mute the music.
I actually bought 3 units,the third i used to integrate the factory radio/CB/ intercom to bluetooth. Worked, can even talk on CB via BT, just not without turning off intercom first.
I had several email trades with Sena starting here, and it actually took asking this exact same question of 3 different "techs" to get a real answer; No only one thing at a time, so I bought the 20s and it does do all simultaneously

1995GL1500 Interstate w/Champion Sidecar
1993 GL1500 I
1988 Vulcan 800A
1986 Yamaha Venture
N4RWM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-14-2014, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Nobody You Know

Bob, I didn't know about the Sena 20s. I ended up buying a Garmin Zumo 590 after my original post and am having difficulty getting things synched up in the right order. Sometimes works, sometimes I have to power everything off and start over and (eventually) I usually get things working. Even have problems with the Bluetooth in my truck not always playing nice with the GPS BT. Think I'm seeing some of the same issues Dan mentions above.

Sounds like you are saying the the 20s integrates with everything automatically? Please elaborate on "it does do all simultaneously".

Thanks.

Ken
2013 GL-1800
1999 CB-750 Nighthawk

K 4 D I T
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-14-2014, 01:35 PM

Model: 1995 Interstate
It will do several things at once as you want but you must Pair each item individually, one at a time. The tech at Sena explained the SMH5 and 10 had a single BT receiver chipset, and the 20S has a dual receiver chipset. This, in theory should allow the 20 to do twice as many things (4)simultaneously as the others, which is 2

1995GL1500 Interstate w/Champion Sidecar
1993 GL1500 I
1988 Vulcan 800A
1986 Yamaha Venture
N4RWM
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 09:48 AM

Model: 88 GL1500
I had similar scenerario with my Sena SMH10.
Even wasted over a $100 buying their SM10 dual channel bluetooth dongle. Works great, but when in conversation with passsenger, have to actually select to switch to gps or alternate device. The priorities are not slectable, which would have fixed the problem, and Sena hasn't made any moves to do that.
They came out with the 20 model, so not in their interest to do it either I suppose.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Nobody You Know

Sure seems like there could be a better way. I'm no Bluetooth authority, but it seems like when it's pairing time and there are more than a pair of devices involved, it's a free-for-all with unpredictable results. I had my Zumo in my truck yesterday (which also has Bluetooth). With my Bluetooth Phone/GPS/Vehicle fighting it out, the GPS lost out and all of its apps said 'no connection'. I rebooted all and the GPS managed to grab a connection with the phone and suddenly its traffic and weather apps started working. Next time, I'll probably have to repeat - and who wants to do that every time they get in the vehicle or on the bike?

Ken
2013 GL-1800
1999 CB-750 Nighthawk

K 4 D I T
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page