Preliminary Report - GL1800 Bluetooth/CB & Audio Setup - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-26-2015, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

Year: 2013
Make: GL1800
Model: 2013 Navi Comfort
Garage
Preliminary Report - GL1800 Bluetooth/CB & Audio Setup

Last week I took delivery of the adapter harness purchased from Sierra Electronics. This adapter:

Sierra Adapter Harness for Sena SMH10 to Honda Goldwing GL-1800
Details
SIE SNA GW SMH10
Sierra Adapter Harness for Sena SMH10 to Honda Goldwing GL-1800

This adapter is advertised to allow you to use your Bluetooth setup to communicate on the CB radio. I just wanted everyone to know my experience (so far) with it.

I already had the SM10H helmet setups (with extra SMH10H module) as well as the SM10 bike Bluetooth module so my only expense was the adapter harness which costs $129.99. Setup is very easy and straightforward. Remove the left pocket and fish out the end of the wiring harness that comes out where you'd normally hook up your wired helmet setup. The beauty of this adapter is that you can still use your wired setup should you so desire. Connecting the harness is a piece of cake; merely unplug the wired adapter, connect the harness inline, and reconnect the plugs. Run the three wires from the harness through a hole drilled in your pocket housing and connect the wires to the bracket assembly. There are 3 wires; one male mini plug for the bracket assembly and a microphone wire. The third wire is a female mini plug which can be plugged into the "audio in" port on the bottom of the SM10 if you wish to have stereo music as the adapter harness only supports mono sound (left earpiece only).

You will need to use one of the small coiled wires that comes with the Sena helmet setup as a patch cable between the adapter harness (blue coded female plug) and the audio in port of the SM10. I don't know why Sierra doesn't make the blue plug a male also so that you don't need the adapter male/male wire.

Once the wiring is complete and you have the pocket reinstalled in the fairing the only thing remaining is to pair the system to your helmet. I did this as a two step process. Pair the two SM10H modules for communication by turning them both on, pressing and holding the jog button for about 5 seconds until they both start flashing, let go and then push and release one (it doesn't matter which) jog dial. After a few seconds the rapid blue flashing will become a slow blue flashing. This indicates the modules are paired. I then re-paired the SM10 to the helmet module by pressing and holding the center button on the SM10 until the blue light began flashing rapidly and then pressing and holding the rear phone button on the SM10H module until it begins flashing rapidly red/blue. After pairing is complete the lights stop flashing and the SM10H flashes blue slowly and the red light on the SM10 flashes slowly. This completes the pairing for the rider.

If you are carrying a passenger you should pair your (rider) SM10H to the passengers SM10H BEFORE pairing the rider SM10H to the bike.

To use the system now turn on the SM10H in the fairing pocket and the SM10 (if you want stereo sound). Turn on your helmet SM10H and await confirmation of pairing. Start the bike and let the audio system come online. To use the system tap the jog dial on your helmet once to activate the intercom and to speak on the CB. Tap the jog dial again to activate stereo sound through the SM10. If you get a call on your CB simply tap the jog dial again to return to mono sound and communicate as normal on your CB.

Bluetooth is still a learning process. This is how it works for me and I haven't tried it with any other Bluetooth setups. I have the shorty helmets also with Bluetooth and a different model of the Sena setup. I will try those on another day.

Good luck!

2013 GL1800 Comfort/Navi
2014 Harbor Freight Tag-a-Long
Currently stuck in Las Vegas, Nevada

Previous bikes (in reverse order) include:
Harley 883 Sportster
Honda GL1100 Interstate
Honda 750A Hondamatic (second best bike I ever owned)
Honda CB450
Kawasaki 900 Z1
Suzuki GT380
Honda MT125

Last edited by Apatz; 05-26-2015 at 01:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-25-2015, 10:52 AM

Year: 2003
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800
Picture of you setup

Could you post some pictures of your glove box and helmets so I can see what your setup looks like? thanks
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-25-2015, 05:19 PM

Year: 2016
Make: Honda
Model: Level 3 ABS, metallic grey and black
Would this setup also allow for rider AND passenger cell phone use?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 10:22 PM

Year: 2014
Model: GL1800 Airbag
Garage
Good Info. I just received my wiring harness and SMH10 unit and I will be installing it as soon as the weather gets too cold to ride. My wife and I already use the SENA SMH10 for bike to bike, but I wanted to be able to communicate on my CB also when riding with others. I hope this does all I want it to do.

Bob Smith
NASSIR 4 Pictures
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wild Rhinos - Ontario Chapter

2014 GL1800 Airbag
2007 V Star 1300 (Hers)
2000 Shadow A.C.E. Deluxe 750 (Sons)
Previously owned: 1985 GL1200 A - (2X)2000 GL1500A

If you don't stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page