PO made an addition... does anyone know what it is? - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2015, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Model: '86 Aspy
PO made an addition... does anyone know what it is?

There is this... thing, that's badly adhering to my windshield and is wired into the fairing wire harness somehow. I have no idea what it is. Want to remove it, but not sure if it's safe. Would like to just clip the wires rather than chase it through the rat nest in there. Anyone know what it is?

In general I'm gearing up for a fairing swap, but every time I look at the mess under the pockets I get cold feet. Seems like a big job and I'm worried about messing something up. Getting this out of there would at least decrease the number of mystery wires in there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2015, 07:58 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
that is NOT stock for sure.

just guessing, but it might have been the sensor for some kind of radar detector.

or, it might have been an antenna for the FM/AM radio... does it have a non-stock radio?

I would just unbolt the fairing and start removing all wires that do not end up inside the factory harness... those you can identify as looking like a rats nest.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2015, 08:18 PM

Model: 2000 GL1500SE
If the bike has an alarm system, it may be a motion sensor. Sure looks like the one I have mounted under my seat! (Registers when the bike is moved off the sidestand to an upright position by moving mercury liquid to two metal rods inside the rectangular box.)

Current rides--
2000 Gl1500SE
1999 Suzuki Intruder 800
1998 Yamaha Virago 1100

Past rides---
1975 GL1000
1978 GL1000
1987 Gl1200

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2015, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgl1800 View Post
that is NOT stock for sure.

just guessing, but it might have been the sensor for some kind of radar detector.

or, it might have been an antenna for the FM/AM radio... does it have a non-stock radio?

I would just unbolt the fairing and start removing all wires that do not end up inside the factory harness... those you can identify as looking like a rats nest.

Yeah it did have an aftermarket radio, though I'm looking through the manual for it and it certainly didn't come with an antenna like that. I'm going to replace the radio with a low-profile model that actually fits into the fairing - or delete it completely. I'm honestly not planning to ever use it, but I guess it would be nice to have working eventually.

Come to think of it the wires do seem to terminate in the stereo-wire mess so an antenna actually makes a lot of sense. I still don't want it out there like that, but perhaps I can relocate it inside the fairing somehow - especially if radio reception isn't a priority.

I'm looking at this thread:

http://goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14369

And it just seems like such a huge pain in the ass. But I have a flawless replacement sitting in the garage and I suppose I have to get started at some point...
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2015, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by randylexus View Post
If the bike has an alarm system, it may be a motion sensor. Sure looks like the one I have mounted under my seat! (Registers when the bike is moved off the sidestand to an upright position by moving mercury liquid to two metal rods inside the rectangular box.)
Huh. To my knowledge there is no alarm system. But thoughts like that are why I haven't tried to remove it yet.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2015, 08:27 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskachig View Post
Huh. To my knowledge there is no alarm system. But thoughts like that are why I haven't tried to remove it yet.
he just meant a PO might have installed an aftermarket alarm system on it.
a lot of them used to use mercury or steel balls in a tube.. the mercury, or the steel balls will roll to the opposite side and short circuit a couple of wires, there in turning on the Alarm's noise maker.

~ John

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2015, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgl1800 View Post
he just meant a PO might have installed an aftermarket alarm system on it.
a lot of them used to use mercury or steel balls in a tube.. the mercury, or the steel balls will roll to the opposite side and short circuit a couple of wires, there in turning on the Alarm's noise maker.
Oh I understand - I just have no idea if such a system is actually in the bike right now. Nothing's ever made any noise, the PO didn't mention it, and if it went off I would have no idea how to turn it off.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2015, 08:34 PM

Model: 2000 GL1500SE
ThanksAZgl1800--what you said!

(If it rattles, it's probably a switch.)

Current rides--
2000 Gl1500SE
1999 Suzuki Intruder 800
1998 Yamaha Virago 1100

Past rides---
1975 GL1000
1978 GL1000
1987 Gl1200

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2015, 08:55 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
Could it possibly be a satellite antenna? Or maybe some kind of ballast for an aftermarket headlight or driving lights?

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2015, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike...and Dennis View Post
Could it possibly be a satellite antenna? Or maybe some kind of ballast for an aftermarket headlight or driving lights?
There aren't any aftermarket lights - and I replaced the anemic H4 bulb with a SilverStar myself. The aftermarket radio was a regular JVC CD player (KD-R338), so if there was a satellite system on there it's long in the past.

There are a couple of other wires that are confusing the hell out of me, and a lot of unplugged things (bike used to have a CB radio, for one). It's gearing up to be a pretty confusing swap. But at the end of it I'll have a fairing with no cracks, and intact mounting holes of all kinds
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page