Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/)
-   Goldwing Technical Forum (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/)
-   -   GL1500 won't start, won't crank, no headlights. (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/571338-gl1500-wont-start-wont-crank-no-headlights.html)

G'man 07-01-2015 07:24 AM

GL1500 won't start, won't crank, no headlights.

I have a 1990 GL1500SE that has been stellar for years. We ride her all the time. Last week I went to ride her and she acted like she had a dead battery. I put on the charger all night and the next day tested the battery. It was good. Still, the headlights and none of the guages/dash lights worked (save the cruise control "on" light on the dash). She wouldn't crank-not even a click. The radio works, the clock works, blinkers work, brake lights work. I reviewed several threads on the forum. I have checked the starter button and cleaned it (it seemed fine but I couldn't check any voltage going through because there was no voltage getting to it. I assume that it was good.) I checked the on/off switch. The cruise control light on the dash would go out when I switched it off so assume that it is working. I checked the main fuse connected to the solenoid-it was good. The "dogbone" fuse by the battery was good. The "dogbone" fuse behind the fuel tank was good. The fuses in the fuse box were all good and tested good when the key was "on". The two "reverse" fuses were good. So I moved to the "reverse switch". The switch itself seemed fine. It made good connection and "clicked" when activated. I checked for voltage going through any of the 3 wires going to it-nothing. I checked the "pigtail" feed leading up to the switch. I didn't find any voltage coming out of the pigtail. So my question is-- should there be voltage going to the reverse switch and if so what do I check next? Could a relay be bad, which one, and how can I check it? Thanks for the help.

DaveO430 07-01-2015 09:42 AM

I would suspect the #3 relay or it's connection in the fuse box.

Aloha Tom 07-01-2015 11:46 AM

don't trust the battery- charging it does not mean squat!
Need to take to a bike shop or parts store and have it `load tested`= the ability to return to normal after load is applied- like using the starter
Batts can look good, and have an issue from low cell fluid- that's a killer for sure,
being overcharged from alt issues, that also boils out the fluid which is needed to operate!

pull it out- put on your charger again, then to the store for testing
If your battery is 3-4 years old don't be surprised it its failed, AGM style batt is suggested for replacement- the no hassle battery!
Even 1-2 years old can fail if the fluid gets low in 1 section, happened when cheap HFT charger never stopped!! ooops
Now on a real Battery Tender Jr. when not riding~

G'man 07-02-2015 05:57 AM

Thanks guys. I will hook up another battery and check the #3 relay--and then get back to you.

redwing52 07-02-2015 10:20 AM

+! for what Dave said especially if the neutral light won't come on when in neutral. Just flip flop #3 with any other relay to test it. If no luck then look at the reverse switch. Most likely #3 relay though.

G'man 07-02-2015 11:59 AM

Redwing52-I did just that and voila the lights came on, neutral light and all. I went to start it and it just clicked-now I suspect the battery (which is five years old). I am looking to replace both. Question--could I use a car battery hooked up to the bike just to test a few things and see if I can get it started without causing any harm? Thanks guys! It looks like she blew up or at least a tupperware truck exploded in my shop. I love a challenge but really need to go ride somewhere.:)

Rick in VABCH 07-02-2015 12:07 PM

You can jump a bike with a car battery. Just be careful with the cables so you don't short the + to the frame.

savage1 07-02-2015 12:43 PM

Check your battery they do go bad readings will show good but battery is BADD.

G'man 07-02-2015 01:11 PM

Hmmm, well I hooked up a car battery (which I knew was good, 3 months old) and the lights and everything came on real bright. I had previously pulled out the #2 relay and switched for the #3(bad) relay. Tried to start her and I just got a click (coming from the relay). Any ideas? Thanks for your time and expertice.

G'man 07-02-2015 01:12 PM

I should also add that when I hit the start button the headlights dimmed quite a bit.