2Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 06:03 AM

Year: 1999
Make: GL1500 SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex48 View Post
I thank all for the advice but have done it all. bike off I have a 12v drain with neg cable off and reading between that and the post.
have disconnected all after market add ons and even removed all the fuses one at a time. I'm interested in the diode theory. is there any way to check the diode only. the regulator checks out and the system is charging 14.5 or so at idle. when the bike sits for 10 or twelve hours it does not start. after 8 or 10 the charging system is working so hard it heats up the connectors from the stater and solenoid.
Alex, Like Ken said you should be testing amperage between the battery post and cable end. Not voltage. That is meaningless. It is possible to have a battery with an internal short that drains itself but that is rare and easy to find. Just disconnect the battery when you park the bike. If it sits and holds a charge good by disconnecting then it is not the battery. If it is charged full when you disconnect it but goes dead sitting disconnected the battery is no good.
When you talk of the "diode theory" are you talking about the diodes in the regulator rectifier? If so you can check that with a voltmeter set to AC volts low scale. Usually on a car it would be checked at the alternator but on your bike check it at the battery. Put the red on positive and the black on neg like normal. With the engine running it should read less than .5 volts AC. That is point 5 volts AC. (.5) I suspect you will not have an issue there if you are getting 14.5 volts DC running but who knows.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (127.3 KB, 5 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 08:12 AM Thread Starter

Year: 1985
Make: honda
Model: 1200I
battery has been tested and shows good.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 08:15 AM Thread Starter

Year: 1985
Make: honda
Model: 1200I
the battery does not drain if I disconnect it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 09:28 AM

Year: 2008
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800
alex,
Read post #11 and retest for high battery current. While reading current pull fuses until the faulty circuit is found. If after pulling all the fuses you still have high current, look for after market items that may have inline fuses wired directly to the + side of the battery or input to the fuse block. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Charlie
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 11:33 AM

Year: 1999
Make: GL1500 SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by flylow View Post
alex,
Read post #11 and retest for high battery current. While reading current pull fuses until the faulty circuit is found. If after pulling all the fuses you still have high current, look for after market items that may have inline fuses wired directly to the + side of the battery or input to the fuse block. Good luck and welcome to the forum.
Also if all the fuse tests fail to show an issue, then unplug the regulator rectifier. If the issue is resolved it probably is the regulator rectifier.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 06:52 PM

Year: 2000 & 1994
Model: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red, 1994 GL1500SE Pearl Bermuda Green
Alex, I don't know what kind of meter you were using but it probably looks something like the one below. You need to have it on the milliamp scale when making your tests for current draw when the bike is off. As shown on the picture, start on the highest milliamp scale and work you way down to where you get a reading. If you measure over about 5 milliamps then there is something wrong. Start pulling fuses and disconnecting things as described in the above posts until you find where the trouble is.

Larry

Only two things are infinite... the universe and human stupidity; and I am not sure about the former.
-- Albert Einstein

Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page