Pogo effect with Progressive Mono-tubes. Gl1800 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

Year: 2012
Make: Honda
Model: 2012 Blue GL1800 Level 3
Pogo effect with Progressive Mono-tubes. Gl1800

I went ahead and installed mono-tubes in my 2012. With the tubes a set of all-balls head bearings and a fork brace was installed. The bike handled wonderfully in turns and tracked straight as an arrow. However; there seems to be no dampening. The bike pogos on light imperfections in the road. I did not install the pre-load shims. 10w oil filled exactly to specs. I weigh 225. Anyone else have this problem and how did you solve it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 09:29 PM
Banned

Year: 94
Model: 1500 SE
Call Progressive, their tech people are awesome --on their springs for the 1500 they call for 15w
Based on your weight you may need something else- I don't know anything about the monotubes, just throwing out ideas
Have you gotten some break-in miles on them?
What about riding without the fork brace?
Why no shims? does that add or take away preload?
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha Tom View Post
Call Progressive, their tech people are awesome --on their springs for the 1500 they call for 15w
Based on your weight you may need something else- I don't know anything about the monotubes, just throwing out ideas
Have you gotten some break-in miles on them?
What about riding without the fork brace?
Why no shims? does that add or take away preload?
There are complaints about harshness with the shims. Looking for a balance of ride/firmness. I have considered removing the brace. 10w is the recommended oil. I can't stand the ride long enough to attain a possible break-in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 10:02 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
bad idea removing the fork brace.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 10:49 PM

Model: 88 gl1500
I don't think the fork brace would be the culprit either.
The forks has a small brace stock for the fender support.
My experience with for braces was on an ST1100. It didn't help the ride so to speak. But it did help on tire cupping a lot! Seems to handle a little different in corners. But making the tire last longer was worth the price to me.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 12:37 AM
Banned

removing fork brace was to test if it made a difference, as I have to throw out a decent guess!
Progressive tech support is your best bet for real knowledge--your weight may be the issue, or not used to the new setup?
Mine seemed really tight at first- probably because I was used to mushy~ ( I realize totally different setup)
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 05:57 AM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Did you put the anti-dive washers and spring off the bottom of the old fork piston on the mono-tube? I personally would have left them off to completely disable the anti-dive. The oil you add is really there just to lubricate the forks, the damping oil is captive in the tubes.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 07:32 AM

Garage
Progressive Mono-tubes are stiffer so you will feel more the road imperfections.

IF YOU'RE BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOU'RE BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE
A NEW START ON 1/20/2017
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 07:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveO430 View Post
Did you put the anti-dive washers and spring off the bottom of the old fork piston on the mono-tube? I personally would have left them off to completely disable the anti-dive. The oil you add is really there just to lubricate the forks, the damping oil is captive in the tubes.
I removed the brace this morning. The forks seem to have a high degree of stickion. I can hear the binding. Contacting cyclemax for a replacement set. Removing the washers for the ADM while in there this time. If this is the normal ride for PMT then out they go. Traxxion has to be the answer. Expensive!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 09:27 AM
Banned

Dave- wouldn't any oil external to the cartridge shock be for cooling that cartridge?
The constant movement it goes thru creates heat....outside oil would extract said heat, and keep any visible springs happily cooled too?
(see how little I know about1800s..are there springs outside the mono tubes? should I even care, because I am on a 1500)

Progressive opens in an hour- call them and describe the situation-- before tearing your bike down and returning current shocks
They can put a different spring or valve etc inside to tailor the shock to your needs
Racing is their business, so having a variety of parts choices the public doesn't know about = what do you want- Yes we can!
I know they overhaul/rebuild their shocks and offer choices then.
Another example- you don't want a tight 1500?? springs for xyz 1200 are same size in a softer rates, call tech support
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page