Dealer Claims Full Synthetic in Goldwing is Bad? - Page 3 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

11Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 10:35 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsoil Dealer View Post
Once I put in Amsoil, the bike ran cooler, better gas mileage, and had more power. Plus, I don't have to change it but once a year! So, Amsoil is clearly the better choice!! !!

Been there, done that stuff....
it will not run cooler. the temperature of the engine is controlled by a thermostat.

Better Gas Mileage? doubtful....
I have a spreadsheet that covers over 4,000 miles, and every trip I took, the mileage was different on each tank of gas.

there is simply no way to Scientifically prove that a motorcycle is going to do better on a differnet grade of oil.... there are too many variables in each trip.

The Better Choice? Only in your own mind.... Amsoil does not have any special blends that are not also met by the other oil companies.

Like I said above, I was once an Amsoil Dealer. And I know the spiel they push...

You will NOT be allowed to talk about the performance of Amsoil on this forum again... you are a dealer, and that is a commercial for a product.

'nuff said...

Contact an administrator, send them a check, and become a Paid Sponsor.
Then you can have your own Sub-Forum and advertise all you want.

but until that happens, you cannot advertise on this forum, period.

and you will note, your Avatar advertising that product vaporized and changed into a GL1800.... I like yellow, so it is a yellow 1800.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-20-2015, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgl1800 View Post
it will not run cooler. the temperature of the engine is controlled by a thermostat.

I have a spreadsheet that covers over 4,000 miles, and every trip I took, the mileage was different on each tank of gas.

there is simply no way to Scientifically prove that a motorcycle is going to do better on a differnet grade of oil.... there are too many variables in each trip.

The Better Choice? Only in your own mind.... Amsoil does not have any special blends that are not also met by the other oil companies.

Like I said above, I was once an Amsoil Dealer. And I know the spiel they push...

You will NOT be allowed to talk about the performance of Amsoil on this forum again... you are a dealer, and that is a commercial for a product.

'nuff said...

and you will note, your Avatar advertising that product vaporized and changed into a GL1800.... I like yellow, so it is a yellow 1800.

Just when I was starting to enjoy the pitch John.

Fatwing Chris
Darkside #1602
Gone Double Dark with a BT45
If I\'d have known it would last this long I would have taken better care of it.
post #23 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 01:30 AM Thread Starter

Model: 2010 GL1800
Thanks to everyone who replied with some great info. I will attempt to educate my dealership guy and explain to him that synthetic is ok on the goldwing.

I ended up going with this:

It's a kit made for the goldwing, comes with everything I need and is the Honda oil the bike recommends in a synthetic variant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 09:21 AM

Model: 2012
Yeah, I got the same kit. I liked it and it even has the washer.... What do you folks think...should the washer be changed every time?? (BUAHAHAHA.....).
post #25 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 10:10 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock45fan View Post
I'm gonna use Motul... because it's red, French, smells funny, costs more, and comes in liters instead of quarts.

I love it when an Amsoil Dealer shows up and starts to shove their spiel down our throats...

As I mentioned, I have gone through their Indocrination Course.... by the time you finish up that thing, you will think that AmsOil is God...

Glock45fan likes this.

~ John

post #26 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 12:58 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesojourn2 View Post
Yeah, I got the same kit. I liked it and it even has the washer.... What do you folks think...should the washer be changed every time?? (BUAHAHAHA.....).
It is suggested to change it every time, I do because I have lots of them. If it will slip off the plug easily it's fine to re-use though.
mikesojourn2 likes this.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #27 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 01:42 PM
Magic Moderator

Model: No more Wings, Gold or Silver
Garage
I always changed the crush washer with every oil change on my 1500. I look at it as once it is used it may no longer be any good, one time use only.

Retired trike builder.
I dislike Spam, too much sodium.
post #28 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 06:07 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by trike lady View Post
I always changed the crush washer with every oil change on my 1500. I look at it as once it is used it may no longer be any good, one time use only.

I feel the same way, I like for the 'torque crush' to be the same each time.

they are cheap, why cheap out and take a chance?

~ John

post #29 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 06:53 PM
life is good

Year: 1991
Make: gl 1500 interstate
Model: 91 interstate
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgl1800 View Post

'nuff said...

plus 1 for the forums.

life is good.
post #30 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 05:11 AM

Year: 2013
Make: Honda Goldwing
Model: 1800GL
Amsoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveO430 View Post
I know you are trying to sell the stuff and that's fine but I tried it myself and saw no difference in it and conventional oil. In fact my trans shifted smoother with Rotella T5. I'm sure Amsoil is good stuff but it's simply not worth the expense to me and it gets dirty just like any other oil so I will not leave it in my engine that long.

I have used Rotella in my other bikes, but found that Amsoil gives me much better shifts, runs cooler, and has rust and corrosion protection. Rotella and Mobil 1 do not have rust or corrosion protection. I have left in my engine 3 times what Honda states the oil should be change. I took a sample of the oil, and had it tested. The oil came back still good, 45% effective. So that is why I use Amsoil.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page