GL1800 2008 very noisy gear change - Page 2 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soso565 View Post
I can try that lubing thing ....

just one thing can you tell more where i do have to lube ? please
Where the shifter goes into the transmission there is a linkage with 2 heim joints behind the left lower body cowl. I put my bike up on a jack and was able to spray into the rubber boots around the heim joints to lube them. Also when was the last time you cleaned and lubed the pivot pin and bushing on the clutch lever?

Old age is like fine wine,you just get better.
Honorary Rhino
Nassir 5
Nassir 7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 02:26 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Quote:
Does the 10w-30 is thicker then 10w-40 ?
No it is not but it is the viscosity recommended in an 1800 and oil is mysterious stuff.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 05:01 PM

Model: Slightly less than before.
shifting

Have someone else that owns an 1800 ride it and see if they think there's a problem. (maybe someone on this forum that lives close by)

Or, ride a different 1800 with similar mileage and see if there's a difference.

Rayjoe

P.S. Stop reading those bad transmission posts!

I've learned so much from my mistakes, I'm thinking about making a few more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 07:21 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
I think what you should do is give the bike to me. Then, if it breaks while in my care, you won't have to worry about it leaving you stranded somewhere. And, at that point I will send the bike back to you for repair.
However, if I put 60 or 70 thousand miles on it and nothing breaks, you'll know you were worried about nothing.

No charge for my service...

...Wait. It's not red is it?
I don't like red bikes.

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 09:51 PM

Model: 08 gl1800/sidecar
Have you tried shifting at different RPMs? After warming up my 04 likes it's 1-2 shift under 2000rpm or it will grind or clunk into gear. The rest of the shifts 3000 - 3500 will get a fairly smooth shift. Many 1800s do not have a smooth, quite transmission no matter what oil you use, but still give long dependable service.
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 06:10 AM

Year: 2012
Make: Honda
Model: 2012 Blue GL1800 Level 3
Quote:
Does the 10w-30 is thicker then 10w-40 ?

I ask that because , when the bike is cold ( during 10-15 minutes ) everything is quite smooth and normal .

so I was thinking when the oil get warmer ( thinner ) the noise appear
Simply bleeding a clutch does not ensure it is releasing fully. I work on transmissions for a living. As unlikely as it is, there could be a warped disc or plate. Many 1800's that I have observed, including mine are somewhat noisy. When defining noisy we must have a benchmark. I have people coming into my shop complaining of noises that when compared to other cars are completely normal. You may be worried about nothing. I would suggest comparing it to many other bikes. I did read that you had bleed the clutch before I made the original reply. I have seen oversize grips cause problems.
post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 05:50 PM

Model: GL1800
Garage
Noise and clunk are subjective terms. To a new wing rider it can be very disturbing and to a more grey rider its old hat. My 1800 and a few others I've been privy to ride with are all noisy from 1st to 2nd and after that its depends on how smooth the shift is executed and at what engine rpm. I was tending to shift too early under 2000 RPM, shifting above 2500 is a noticeable difference, and a habit to be formed. I find cold or fresh oil always quiets the shift noticeably but I suspect it is mostly in the Goldwing's dna. Really find the time to seek out a local wing rider with the same model and go for a ride along side and discus it with them, I think you'll find we are not alone and its more surprising to have a smooth and silent shift than a clunky one (at least to some extent!).

Tom, in Mountain Home, Idaho
2002 GL1800 (Illusion Red) Non-ABS, 128k miles
Retired Air Force

"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmick View Post
Where the shifter goes into the transmission there is a linkage with 2 heim joints behind the left lower body cowl. I put my bike up on a jack and was able to spray into the rubber boots around the heim joints to lube them. Also when was the last time you cleaned and lubed the pivot pin and bushing on the clutch lever?

I will try that this afternoon , thank you for your help
post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

one thing that i can't get is why the shifting is going real smooth when the bike is cold and after 10-15 minutes of riding i can feel and hear the noise and clunking get worst until bike is warm..
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 01:43 PM

Like a previous poster asked-by any chance do you have Kury Iso grips and Kury wide levers? On some wings the combination of both once the bike gets warm with the levers adjusted so its easy for the rider,the clutch doesnt totally disengage and you will get clunky shifts also. When its cold it will be fine with this issue but when it gets warm the shifts get clunky. Also if you have the stock lever is it adjusted so its easier for you to release the clutch? Also as previously posted possibly on one of the other forums you posted on. Have you checked your clutch lever bushing to see if its worn? Because if its worn badly it can cause shifting issues with the clutch lever.

Old age is like fine wine,you just get better.
Honorary Rhino
Nassir 5
Nassir 7
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page