Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 07:51 AM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by soso565 View Post
here few closeup pictures of the biggest particles that i found in my pan after dumping the oil
about magnet ....i will have to confirm that in few hrs ...hang on

about neutral few example:
when i ride and stop at a light in gear # 4 ...I can go down to gear #2 easily , to go from 2 to 1 I need to release the clutch a little and barely push the bike back and forward and then it goes to 1 . after it quiet easy from gear # 1 to go neutral

when I ride and proceeding to stop at a light I can easily go from 5 to 4 to 3 to 2 to either neutral or 1 during the deceleration until full stop

------------------------------
PS
I'm french and i might be confuse between clutch term .
when I press the clutch lever toward the handle , I call it engaging the clutch

when i don't touch the clutch lever I call that the clutch is not engage

from what i read im not using the right term at the right place ( engaging and disengage )

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

Year: 2012
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobe05 View Post
Are those chunks metal? From the picture they almost look like carbon. If it's metal you have a serious issue.

i had a closer look at those small piece

all of those was carbon yes

the is 4 small piece that i was not able to crush between my finger but the are not metalic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150903_105814.jpg (179.4 KB, 10 views)
post #33 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 06:02 AM

Model: 2012 Blue GL1800 Level 3
Is there a chance that the debris fell from the exterior crankcase area when removing the filter and drain plug? I don't know what Honda uses for clutch material so it could be clutch. Carbon clutches in my experience tend to become smaller particles when flaking of the plates. I see it all the time in GM transmissions. Honda car transmissions have similar tendencies when the torque converter so often detonates from lack of hold off pressure. I would have the samples analyzed. I would change the oil immediately and also have it analyzed. If the clutch or engine has a problem your warranty will cover it. Better to drop the bike in the dealers lap during cold weather. They tend to be slower and more eager to do warranty work. The tech will be a little more patient since there is not much else to go onto when he finishes. It can be difficult to find a competent person to diagnose and be honest and upfront about the actual problem. Remember the dealer is working for Honda, and not you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 07:51 AM
Trike Master

Model: 06 levelIII/Hannigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peppi-Le-Pew View Post
Remember the dealer is working for Honda, and not you.
Although I have little faith in "real" dealer" repairs, other than simple service items, I don't agree they "work" for Honda! Someone purchased a franchise and is trying to make money. Therefore most desire to keep their customers happy.
Having said that, the dealer is pretty much at the mercy of Honda, for warranty coverage, especially if the rep shows up for a review!
post #35 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 08:28 PM

Model: 2012 Blue GL1800 Level 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfdeputydawg View Post
Although I have little faith in "real" dealer" repairs, other than simple service items, I don't agree they "work" for Honda! Someone purchased a franchise and is trying to make money. Therefore most desire to keep their customers happy.
Having said that, the dealer is pretty much at the mercy of Honda, for warranty coverage, especially if the rep shows up for a review!
So it would seem they are working for us. Yes, they are working on our vehicle. Dealers repair what Honda and the tech rep approves. Honda has reined in their warranty repair costs. They even took away the tech reps wing to cut expenses. They used to get a new one every year. Or so i'm told. I was told by three people (tech rep included) that my washing machine sound coming from the alternator drive gears was normal, "it sounds like a goldwing to me". My persistence got the defect acknowledged and repaired. My 2012 now sounds like a normal wing. Honda wants to satisfy us so they more often than not go over and above to make us happy. Honda just last year replaced a 2002 frame under warranty for a fellow local chapter member. The only way that happened was mother Honda ponied up the frame and paid the labor. Dealers work for Honda when warranty dollars are being spent.
post #36 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 01:46 PM

Model: GL1800
Garage
The chunks appear to be small rocks or pebbles that one collects in oily spots and crevices. They could have been knocked loose from the bottom of the bike or even fell into the case during an oil change and sat there until drained out. I'd try to crush one and inspect it closer if successful, if it turns to sand you know its not part of your engine.

As for the down shift to 1st from neutral, mine has refused a few times unless I pushed the bike forward or backward a bit; completing the downshift when you are still moving very slowly prevents being left in neutral. I find it happens to me but rarely and only when I'm absolutely stopped completely.

Tom, in Mountain Home, Idaho
2002 GL1800 (Illusion Red) Non-ABS, 128k miles
Retired Air Force

"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page