My LTD - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

Year: 1985 1984
Make: Honda's 3
Model: GW Aspy & LTD, LTD 2
My LTD

I am going to get this bike started tomorrow if it kills me . I concider myself a decent wrench and diag trouble shooter. I have been putzing around on and off for almost two months trying to get this thing started. I have the supplement manual and the electrical manual as well . I have mapped out a pinpoint/ trouble tree test that I am going to impliment.

I can't wait until daybreak in the morning . If it takes all livelong day I am going to do it . By the time I do get this thing started I will consider myself an Expert go to man on these fuelies . I've done just about everything to this thing (LOL)

1984 Aspencade Premium Beige Metalic..... Right Wing
1985 LTD Sunflash Gold 85,530 Grace Brown...... Left Wing
A Bird can\'t fly on one wing
That\'s why I have three wings
And another 85 LTD, LTD 2 Sunflash Gold Grace Brown.... Tail Wing

With three wings I believe I can fly

AL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 04:56 AM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
I know the feeling, and know you will get it done.

It was good for me to get back to wrenches after a long dry spell since my accident in '08

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 08:39 AM

Model: 1986 SE-i
Hey Right Winger, I have an Sei that I've wrenched on a few times and I'm in Pgh near the Highland Park Bridge. I'm no expert but I'm probably better than average. If you need some help, shoot me a PM

'86 SE-i
There is no problem in life that a sufficient quantity of high explosives won't solve.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildman View Post
Hey Right Winger, I have an Sei that I've wrenched on a few times and I'm in Pgh near the Highland Park Bridge. I'm no expert but I'm probably better than average. If you need some help, shoot me a PM

WOW Wildman that's right in my back yard good to know too . I have been chasing power distribution issues today. I have the Electrical Trouble shooting manual and the Limited service manual supplement at hand . Do you have either of those ?

AL
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 11:32 PM

Model: 1986 SE-i
You wouldn't happen to work at the old Papercraft factory (Daily warehouse) along the river, would you? I see an LTD parked there sometimes.

I have the Sei supplement but not the troubleshooting manual. I have collected some spare parts for the fuelie system. Spare computer, injectors and such. I even have a shiny new crank sensor. None are for sale but if you need to borrow any of them for troubleshooting purposes, let me know.

The electrical is fun. The connectors are in some of the most awkward places.

'86 SE-i
There is no problem in life that a sufficient quantity of high explosives won't solve.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 12:06 AM

Model: 1985 Limited Edition GL1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Right winger View Post
I am going to get this bike started tomorrow if it kills me . I concider myself a decent wrench and diag trouble shooter. I have been putzing around on and off for almost two months trying to get this thing started. I have the supplement manual and the electrical manual as well . I have mapped out a pinpoint/ trouble tree test that I am going to impliment.

I can't wait until daybreak in the morning . If it takes all livelong day I am going to do it . By the time I do get this thing started I will consider myself an Expert go to man on these fuelies . I've done just about everything to this thing (LOL)

Besides it not starting, can you tell us a bit more?? Do the 2 fuel/fuel system lights cycle on and off with the fuel pump running for about 5 seconds when you turn the key on?? If they don't check the sub-main 30amp inline dogbone fuse located behind, not on, the starter solenoid.

Don

1985 Gl1200 Limited Edition
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 12:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildman View Post
You wouldn't happen to work at the old Papercraft factory (Daily warehouse) along the river, would you? I see an LTD parked there sometimes.

I have the Sei supplement but not the troubleshooting manual. I have collected some spare parts for the fuelie system. Spare computer, injectors and such. I even have a shiny new crank sensor. None are for sale but if you need to borrow any of them for troubleshooting purposes, let me know.

The electrical is fun. The connectors are in some of the most awkward places.
I used to work at that plant years ago when it was Papercraft. No that's wasn't my LTD . I work on the Westend . I rearly ride my bike these days to work because of that dust bowl there . They are rebuilding W. Carson St. dust every where I have a ton of spare parts for the LTD also everything you mentioned . Thanks if you should ever need anything same goes for you. I got my first LTD in 09 needing a stator. i got the second LTD about a month and a half ago maybe two months now. It was a no start The one i'm trying to get started . I saw it on CL and the price was right . It's not in bad shape . It's got some wiring issue I THINK . Going to take another stab at it later in the AM

AL
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 12:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoepc View Post
Besides it not starting, can you tell us a bit more?? Do the 2 fuel/fuel system lights cycle on and off with the fuel pump running for about 5 seconds when you turn the key on?? If they don't check the sub-main 30amp inline dogbone fuse located behind, not on, the starter solenoid.
They did when I first got the bike the lights I mean . Wasn't getting spark to the plugs I checked the dog bone fuse and even replaced them to be for sure because they were old. I had a code for the PBR sensor i changed that replaced the vacume hoses because they were dry rotted and cracked . Now i dont have the fuel light or no prove out of any other lights on IP like cruise fuel and low fuel . Just the oil and neutral light come on and the tail light . Change out the fuel shut off sensor.

If you have the electrical TS manual ( I know you do ) I performed the ECU test on page 200 . I have no battery power on #1 19-17-35-14-32 . I have all the grounds .

AL
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 12:44 AM

Model: 1985 Limited Edition GL1200
There are 2, 30amp dogbone fuses on the Ltd Ed and the SEi!! One's on the solenoid and the OTHER is behind it!! Trust yer roscoe on this!! The inline fuse that's behind the solenoid is for all the extra's on the electrical system like the fuel injection, cruise control, Travel Computer, etc..... Have you checked this??

Don

1985 Gl1200 Limited Edition
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 02:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoepc View Post
There are 2, 30amp dogbone fuses on the Ltd Ed and the SEi!! One's on the solenoid and the OTHER is behind it!! Trust yer roscoe on this!! The inline fuse that's behind the solenoid is for all the extra's on the electrical system like the fuel injection, cruise control, Travel Computer, etc..... Have you checked this??
Yes I did as I stated above I replaced them both . I have power from there to a relay in the fuse box . I changed out the whole solenoid which was the first thing i did because it wouldn't turn over

AL
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page