GL1100 fuel petcock question - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-03-2015, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

Model: 1989 GL1500, 1982 GL1100
Garage
GL1100 fuel petcock question

Riding along and the tank is low. The engine splutters. I switch to reserve. We splutter some more. The engine dies.
I'm sitting on the side of the road wondering if I had already been on reserve and now have an empty tank. Check for gas and there is some still in there - deep in there.
I am fairly confident that with the petcock tab point up, that I am on reserve. Second guessing myself. Press the starter. Doesn't fire. Wait, try again. Same result. Wait a while longer. Try again. Battery is getting tired. I'm getting worried. Wait a while longer. Try again. She fires! I make it to the nearest gas station and fill up.
Today, I had the same scenario. This time, I was close to home so that when she fired up, I made a dash for home to check things out.
I turned the fuel off and removed the line from the petcock. Turned it to 'ON' and nothing came out. Turned it to 'RES' and still nothing came out. (Gas cap off the tank) Added a couple of litres to the tank. Same result.
connected a tube to the petcock and blew into it. I hear air blowing into the gas tank when in the 'ON' position. I hear bubbles when I switch to the 'RES' position. I put on a longer tube and sucked, and sure enough, I was able to suck gas through the petcock.
I would have though that gas should flow by gravity when there is gas in the tank and I switch to reserve.
Does anyone know if this is normal?

Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer. George Santayana.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-03-2015, 10:10 PM
Junior Grue

Model: 1984 Interstate "Canadian"
The petcock is part way up the tank, anything above will gravity flow through the petcock in either the on or reserve position, anything below which is is your reserve won't and must be pumped.

Advise given here is free and comes with no warranty "Caveat emptor"

Ken.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-03-2015, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks Ken. That makes sense. I guess the remedy is first of all to fuel up before I get to reserve, and secondly to switch over to reserve at the first splutter to avoid getting air into the fuel line and having to re-prime the pump. Thanks again.

Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer. George Santayana.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-03-2015, 10:56 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
I believe it's a simple system. Just two pipes, with the reserve going deeper into the tank. Seems like that pipe must be plugging up. Perhaps it's time to clean out the bottom of the tank.

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-03-2015, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Dennis, I think Ken hit it pointing out that the petcock is above the gas level when it at the reserve level.
I probably spent too long wondering if I should switch to reserve or not. That resulted in air getting into the fuel lines and empty carbs. I then had to turn the motor enough to re-prime the pump and fuel lines after I had switched to reserve. BTW, the tank is clean. I have had it out and thoroughly cleaned it.
Thanks, MWN

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-04-2015, 11:05 AM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by maplewingnut View Post
Dennis, I think Ken hit it pointing out that the petcock is above the gas level when it at the reserve level.
I probably spent too long wondering if I should switch to reserve or not. That resulted in air getting into the fuel lines and empty carbs. I then had to turn the motor enough to re-prime the pump and fuel lines after I had switched to reserve. BTW, the tank is clean. I have had it out and thoroughly cleaned it.
Thanks, MWN
The system doesn't work that way.

Why ain't we ridin'?
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page