• 1 Post By DaveO430

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

Year: 2001
Make: goldwing
Model: 1800
1500 howling noise gas tank/cap ?

Hi all,

Last night after parking in the garage we heard a howling noise from what appeared from the engine area. I thought it was maybe coolant moving around at first. About 30 minutes later when I went back in garage it was still making the same noise, and there was an awful odor that I can't describe. After some searching it sounded like it was louder around the fuel cap area. As soon as I moved the fuel cap the noise began to change and after the cap was off the noise was totally gone.

We had just driven about 90 miles from the last fill and there was about a half tank of fuel left. Some sort of vapor lock?

Thoughts please.

Thanks,
Larry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 10:46 AM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
pretty much normal if you just came in off of a hot trip...

not to worry. it is just the fuel tank equalizing to atmospheric pressure.
the gas cap has a vent for that purpose.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 10:46 AM
Banned

Year: 94
Model: 1500 SE
The rising heat from engine after shutdown expands the fuel causing some vent action
Try cleaning the cap by soaking in seafoam overnight, and verify the vent hole in rubber seal in lined up correctly

See the other recent threads on same subject for details on options for fix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 10:51 AM

Year: 1996
Make: Honda
Model: 1500
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowing View Post
Hi all,

Last night after parking in the garage we heard a howling noise from what appeared from the engine area. I thought it was maybe coolant moving around at first. About 30 minutes later when I went back in garage it was still making the same noise, and there was an awful odor that I can't describe. After some searching it sounded like it was louder around the fuel cap area. As soon as I moved the fuel cap the noise began to change and after the cap was off the noise was totally gone.

We had just driven about 90 miles from the last fill and there was about a half tank of fuel left. Some sort of vapor lock?

Thoughts please.

Thanks,
Larry
After a ride, my 1500 makes what can only describe as farting sounds. I have been poo-paahed on the forum here before for this amoung other odd things my 1500 does.

My evaluation is that there appears to be a reed valve in the gas cap somewhere that chatters somewhat as the pressures equalize.

When it happens I just "burp" the gas cap, it blows a final queef at me and that's that!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 10:55 AM
Banned

a sickly sweet unusual smell is a coolant leak. A popular failure is the transfer hose from rad to res-
its in sections and a 90 fitting
The last piece has a built-on grommet to seal its penetration into the top of res bottle

That hose likes to break just above the grommet- a small break- enough to smell coolant on occasion and enough to allow coolant to go to the res bottle- but it CANT RETURN to refill the rad!

Ck rad level by removing cap- not trusting the res bottle dipstick in this case = it may be full or OVER-
that would be a clue~

good news is 8 dollars to Mother Honda gets a new hose with grommet.
Note Use HONDA car (good deal) or bike coolant (pricey!!!) or one that specifically says
CONTAINS NO SILICATES to top off rad,,
unless its been 2 years = then its time to do a cooling system drain/flush/refill
You have already removed the plastic pieces in the way on top, only 10 bucks of coolant and 20 minutes
to do the work.
The engine appreciates it!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 11:00 AM
Banned

us385 see other thread on gas cap vent and rubber seals vent opening hole is properly oriented

Some drill out the hole for better venting and end the noise issue
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 02:03 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha Tom View Post
The rising heat from engine after shutdown expands the fuel causing some vent action
Try cleaning the cap by soaking in seafoam overnight, and verify the vent hole in rubber seal in lined up correctly

See the other recent threads on same subject for details on options for fix
Once again there is nothing wrong with it, you can fix it until there is if you want.
Ken Bergen likes this.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page